Recommendations for Resources

Bjc123

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I am looking for suggestions for resources (websites, youtube channels, books, wiki pages) where I can learn more about communications and radio systems.

I am particularly interested in aviation, rail, and public safety. I can do basic stuff such as program a scanner, tune to frequencies, etc... I feel like I have a good understanding of the basics but I really want to have a deeper understanding of how it works "behind the scenes".

I am just not sure where to start looking for learning material. I was thinking the radio reference wiki might be good but not sure which page to start on?

Any idea or recommendations would be appreciated, thank you for your time :)

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Radio Reference wiki is a great place to start, as to where that is up to your interests and what you want to learn, telling us you are interested in aviation, rail, and public safety is really vague and doesn't help us point you in the right direction. Again telling us you want to learn how it works "behind the scenes" is vague too, how what works.

There is a ton of resources out there, but with specifics we can't really help. Do you want to learn about P25 systems or about ATC communications or railroad frequencies? Searching the wiki is a great place to start and then narrow down topics you want to learn about.

Bjc123

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the response, my apologies... realized that I probably should include some more information.

I am interested in learning more about the actual the fundamentals and basics of communications, signals, and radio systems. I don't really know how to articulate it but lets say for example... What happens when lets say an air traffic controller keys up to the point the aircraft receives it. What technology is used, how does the voice get transmitted, what do antennas do?

Let me know if that helps clarify, like I said i'm not exactly sure how to articulate it :)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I am particularly interested in aviation, rail, and public safety... I feel like I have a good understanding of the basics but I really want to have a deeper understanding of how it works "behind the scenes".
I am just not sure where to start looking for learning material. I was thinking the radio reference wiki might be good but not sure which page to start on?
I am interested in learning more about the actual the fundamentals and basics of communications, signals, and radio systems.
Baby steps, don't bite off more than you can chew. There's plenty to absorb and learn about among the radio waves but you've landed on the world's foremost radio resource webpage. Utilize the forum's search feature to research radio topics you're interested in and I'm sure you'll unearth a thread or more covering your topics of interest. Skim through your state's discussion forum to see topics others in your state are talking about. This is a good place to raise locally focused topics if not already covered there. See also these forums:

Aircraft Monitoring Forum

Railroad/Railfan Monitoring Forum