Recommendations for Rockyview Non encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geological

Finally got my Grecom PSR800 updated by Whistler.

Disappointed to find that RCMP have gone encrypted.
I usually listen to the Cochrane RCs and STARS.

Any suggestions for something interesting to scan?
I added Volker Stevin but really not much going on- especially in summer.

Thanks

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I listen to all the local fire departments, the unencrypted parts of EMS, a couple of business (rent/lease) NXDN systems, the Firenet repeaters for the Wildfire crews as well as conservation officers etc., and still hear the occasional RCMP/Sheriff on the PACS channels once in a blue moon.

Still lots to hear. Yes, the radio is a little quieter than it used to be, but that's not always a bad thing.

I listen to all the local fire departments, the unencrypted parts of EMS, a couple of business (rent/lease) NXDN systems, the Firenet repeaters for the Wildfire crews as well as conservation officers etc., and still hear the occasional RCMP/Sheriff on the PACS channels once in a blue moon.

Still lots to hear. Yes, the radio is a little quieter than it used to be, but that's not always a bad thing.

What kind on unencrypted traffic are you getting from EMS, and on which talkgroups?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Each dispatch center has four Mutual Aid channels that are in the clear, which carry communications between EMS resources and other AFRRCS agencies they are working with (most often fire or STARS). In Rocky View area they are, per the RRDB:

0213fdDSCC - MA 11South Communications Mutual Aid 11 EMS-Talk
10223feDSCC - MA 12South Communications Mutual Aid 12 EMS-Talk
10233ffDSCC - MA 13South Communications Mutual Aid 13 EMS-Talk
1024400DSCC - MA 14South Communications MA14 EMS-Talk

(hey @mciupa - note the inconsistent description there for MA14 :) )

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Oops! :whistle:

I made the correction, thanks for pointing it out.(y)

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Have to state that in the City of Calgary, other than Fire and Transit, there is certainly nothing to listen to. I have scanner on, but largely now tuning my scanners out. Do listen to STARS programmed in and not scanning as still interested in hearing them treating as this was my profession in the past. This silence now reminds me of the times I have spent out in East Central Alberta on hunting trips. As they say, the silence is deafening.

Have to state that in the City of Ca;gary, other than Fire and Transit, certainly nothing to listen to. I have scanner on, but largely now tuning my scanners out. Do listen to STARS programmed in and not scanning as still interested in hearing them treating as this was my profession in the past. This silence now reminds me of the times I have spent out in East Central Alberta on hunting trips. As they say, the silence is deafening.

Agreed, as much as AFRRCS is great for the Emergency Services as a whole, it really has put a damper on the scanning community in Alberta, with all this encryption.

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
What is it we need to listen for? I mean, how does the information we monitor, benefit us?

For my purposes, I am happy with the VHF analog FD stuff, as dispatch info is useful in terms of making alternate plans/routes to avoid a crash or closure on #2.

I'm not concerned with the senior citizen down the street who is short of breath or the drunk guy walking down the sidewalk talking to himself. Yes, an extra set of eyes and ears out there is helpful (and I've helped, before encryption) -- but that's the PD's loss, not ours.

Not that I'm fond of encryption, but I can say it's absolutely a distraction knowing there are losers out there who listen on streams, just waiting to pick apart any little mistake or slip-of-tongue you may make. Worse yet, are the archives and recordings which are posted/distributed for eternity. I tape comms, but only so I can have a listen once I get home. I'll cut myself off now, so as not to engage in trash-talking the primary source of revenue for the site administration :)

Status
Not open for further replies.