Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aviator4life

I thought about getting a scanner a while back and held off, now I want to and forgot what models are right for me. I live near Pittsburgh, PA and want to track mainly aircraft and military.

If I just wanted the basic aviation frequency set, would any scanner with the VHF 108-136 range do? If I wanted a scanner with military capabilities as well, what models do you recommend? Looking to spend around $50 or $200-300 with the milair capabilities. Thanks for your help.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Recommendations

The most "popular" VHF & UHF civil & military aviation frequency bandplans you will want to monitor are:

118-136.975 MHz (Civil & Military)
138-144 MHz (Military)
148-150.8 MHz (Military)
225-379.975 MHz (Military)

As for available scanners and/or receivers, check the RR Wiki section for the aviation bandplans & eligible radios to monitor them with. Be patient, you should get a number of replies to assist you in further enhancing your listening needs. Also check out the military & aviation monitoring forums for good tips & the Ohio State forum for more location specific information. Take care.

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
I got the BCT15X for that reason. I not only wanted a decent aircraft receiver, but one that receives the milair stuff along with railroad. I never been a big police or fire band listener, so not having a receiver with p25 isn't a major deal, just a thought. So either a Uniden BCT15X or the GRE PSR400 base scanners or the bcd346xt or psr300 for handheld might be a thought.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Recommendations

I have Uniden & GRE scanners, I prefer the Unidens by far, personal choice, check the RR Wiki scanner review section to get other user opinions & reviews.

118-136.975 MHz (AM)
138-144 MHz (AM & FM)
148-150.8 MHz (AM & FM)
225-379.975 MHz (Mostly AM)

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Looking at the PSR-300...PSR-300 - The RadioReference Wiki... how can I tell what frequencies would be AM in order to get the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds?
Virtually all of the frequencies used by the flying teams while in the air will be AM. See this article regarding the airshows for an overview of which frequencies you might encounter. (It's a couple years old, but the frequency patterns are still about the same.) With the newer scanners, you can change the mode from AM (the default for certain bands) to FM for those specific frequencies that require it. As far as the Angels & T-Birds, their ground teams would be using some FM, but not the actual teams in the air while performing.

While I have a number of Uniden scanners, I'd recommend against the BC346XT if your interests include military aviation & the airshows. While it appears to be an excellent scanner for many users (I don't own one, just basing that on comments posted), it does not cover the military aircraft band. The PSR-300 you're looking at does. As does the discontinued, but still available from a few dealers, & on the used market, Uniden BR330T. The BCT15X would also work, but that's not a hand-held; the BR330T is.

N8IAA

Not having a Uniden since my 780 that monitored VHF/UHF milcoms, I will suggest the PSR-300. I have the RS mobile version, the 163. I am monitoring air refueling, assorted milcoms at this time while answering your post. I use a commercial 150/450Mhz antenna on a magmout in my shack. Works really good. Listening to COBB OPS tonight. Heard the helos out of Dobbins going on a training mission this afternoon. I prefer the ease of programming on the GRE/RS branded radio.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.