Recommended Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemfm

Say from 25-1300MHz

Given the cost of these is not huge, what is the best antenna available?

In terms of:
Frequency coverage
Gain
Build quality
Etc

mule1075

Feed Provider
In all honesty you are going to get many opinions. And the cost can get up their quite quick.What works for me might or might not work for you.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

mule1075

Feed Provider
also mite help to know where it's going. mobile mount? house roof mount?
Not really either no matter what application it is going to be used for as I have said before.What works for you might or might not work for me mobile or base.Not being rude just practical.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

n5ims

Say from 25-1300MHz

Given the cost of these is not huge, what is the best antenna available?

In terms of:
Frequency coverage
Gain
Build quality
Etc

So you want a very wide band antenna "Say from 25-1300MHz". Get any old discone with the low-band whip on the top. You won't have any gain and for build quality, so long as you get one with solid elements (not those like the RS model that uses tubular elements that are loosely crimped to the ends that screw into the base) they're all pretty much about the same. You could also get a ST2, but then you'll have a modified TV antenna that you'll need to strengthen to make it last.

Reduce your frequency range to what you actually listen to and most likely you'll find much better answers that fit your needs. For example, if you only listen to VHF-Hi and/or UHF there are many great antennas available that are made for the ham market. If you only listen to the 800 MHz band (and by extension, the 700 and 900 MHz frequencies) there are also great antennas available there.

This is kinda like asking "What's the best truck on the market?" without stating what you want out of the truck. A great Baha 1000 racing truck will do very poorly hauling freight cross country and that 18 wheeler may haul lots of stuff, but may not be of much use if you just want something to visit the mall.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
For a frequency range that wide, as n5ims said, get a discone.

One of the most popular, and high quality discones is the Diamond D-130J/D-120NJ. The difference between the two models is the type of cable connection on the antenna. If you're truly going to use this antenna on it's upper end capabilities, I would recommend the model with the Type-N connection.

Diamond D-130J D-130NJ Discone Antenna

joeuser

The Wretched
The Rat Shack Discone works fine. I'm in Kansas, we know wind. You should just reinforce the crimps on the elements hanging down, the "cone" of the Discone. The disc or horizontal elements hold up fine as does the whip. Mine has been out for over a decade & I've only lost one element on the cone - that just couldn't be repaired... Although I haven't given up on it. I'm also about to put up another one. No gain but the range & durability make this the best bang for the buck. Its one of the few good things about Radio Shark

Last edited:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Two caveats about discones:

1. The real coverage is more like 100Mhz to 1300Mhz.
2. The low band whip tunes very sharply. Default is about 44Mhz on Radio Shack. It will not receive well 25Mhz to 50Mhz unless you lengthen or shorten the whip. I cut one for 6 meters and was unable to receive CHP at 42Mhz. Barely could hear base station which is line of sight. If you don't need low band it does not matter.

Other points:

You can transmit through a discone. You cannot transmit through an ST2.

I agree with others that, if you don't need broadband, get an antenna for your band of interest.

Get good coax and get the connectors attached by someone who knows how.

Status
Not open for further replies.