Recommended base scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sambo613

Hi there, I was looking for a new scanner and want to hear from anybody on what they recommend for a good base scanner and antenna that could pick up frequencies around 25 miles in distance from me, I live in Mundelein, IL. Thanks for any recommendations.

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
Base Station Scanner

Hi there, I was looking for a new scanner and want to hear from anybody on what they recommend for a good base scanner and antenna that could pick up frequencies around 25 miles in distance from me, I live in Mundelein, IL. Thanks for any recommendations.

What you can pick up as far as distance goes, depends on many factors. Most of which are really not dependent on the scanner. While certain scanners do have varying levels of sensitivity, that is balanced with a certain level of rejection so you dont receive junk.

Almost any scanner that most people use here are excellent scanners with different preferences and features. So any will do. It all depends on what you want to spend and what you want to listen.

Personally I prefer the Uniden and AOR scanners/receivers. If you want a broad receiving antenna, well a discone antenna is a great starting choice. Couple that with decent coax, you dont need anything crazy, RG58 is good.

So the uniden 996xt is an awesome scanner, I own 2 of them and love them. They do require software to program although there are a variety of choices.
Personally I prefer the Butel Arct xt-pro but there are some free software out there also.

So do some research on different features and also on what it is you want to listen to.
If its emergency services you are interested in, well then if your local systems are on digital , trunking, analog or a combination means that you will need a scanner that can do either or all of those.

Scannermaster.com is a great place to start. They actually do comparisons, recommendations and offer a variety of different antennas etc..

George

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
The Uniden 996XT digital scanner is what would suit your needs, one reason being the IL-700/800mgz Digital Starcom has all the state police TG's....Also if u want to hear the Chicago FD who are digital UHF now...RG58 coax will not get it on digital, I would use RG6U low loss or 9913 low loss....I use a few RS-25-1.3gig grnd plane antennas even in the attic , they work good on all bands.....

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
From my experience living in a big city with lots of RF....

The 996XT is really the ONLY choice if you plan to put up a mast / tower for your antenna, and the PSR-600 is the better choice if you plan on only using an antenna attached to the scanner.

The 996XT has the selectivity to handle the strong RF, while having pretty good sensitivity.

The GRE scanner is more sensitive for sure, and a good deal better on simulcast digital systems, but is nearly worthless with my outdoor antenna which is 40' up, at least here in the big city. Intermod, intermod, intermod. The Uniden has nearly zero issues with intermod. And no, attenuation is not the answer for the most part, at least in my area. 20db is just too much attenuation for anything UHF and up, and doesn't always work on VHF much of the time either.

I would say that if digital simulcast systems are your main priority, you might be better off with the GRE unit and the stock antenna. If you scan aircraft frequencies, and are interested in distant analog VHF/UHF, get the Uniden. I own several of each, and love them both for what they are.

If a person was to plan on having one base and one portable, I would suggest the 996XT for a base with a good outdoor antenna as high as possible, and a PSR-500 / PRO-106 for a portable.

kscott

Premium Subscriber
Do an inexpensive test/survey using a $20.00 RTL dongle and SDR#. With all of the latest plug-ins, Unitrunker, DSD, etc., this may be all that you need to start.

I currently have three scanners (GRE500, Bearcat 95XLT, and old 2006) but have more fun and enjoyment playing with the RTL/SDR set-up.

Last edited:

pgnsucks

Do an inexpensive test/survey using a $20.00 RTL dongle and SDR#. With all of the latest plug-ins, Unitrunker, DSD, etc., this may be all that you need to start.

I currently have three scanners (GRE500, Bearcat 95XLT, and old 2006) but have more fun and enjoyment playing with the RTL/SDR set-up.

Quick sidebar; is there a step by step Win 7 64 bit install write up?

Now back to the thread Apologies:)

Status
Not open for further replies.