Recommended Replacement for Scantenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimlawrence

Years ago, I had a Scantenna from Grove Enterprises, then bought another one from Antennacraft, I seem to remember. It worked great and I was very happy with it. I'd like to buy another one but it appears they are no longer available. Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement that covers the bands the Scantenna covered? Thank you!

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
When my original Scan Tenna SC-2 fell over in an ice storm, I thought it was toast. So I scoured eBay, eham.net, QTH.com (classifieds) and found one near me. I paid a little more than I wanted to, but it was NEVER outside and was in perfect condition! It came with the 50' of 72-ohm coax, balun for the matching network, but didn't have brackets. It turns out that my original ST-2 was fine, so I deployed both antennas for my myriad of scanners. I even have one of them running through a four-port Stridsberg combiner, and it works like a champ! Thanks to a good friend, he provided me the brackets and hardware to mount the new one on my tower. It receives far more superior than several discones I've had over the 40+ years I've been scanning.

Scan Tenna SC-2 020821-01.jpg

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
A while back, I was looking for an antenna. I found a "Scantenna" style antenna, but I did not save the link. From what I understand, "Scanner World" has returned to the scanner world. I looked at the thread, but found no link for SW. I tried searching, but found nothing.

Here is something that might interest you: Best Indoor Scanner Antenna Reviews 2021

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I've been informed that if you are unable to find a Scan Tenna ST-2 (or similar Radio Shack clone) the DPD OmniX is a similar performer for the same bands the ST-2 covers.

Ubbe

A while back, I was looking for an antenna. I found a "Scantenna" style antenna, but I did not save the link. From what I understand, "Scanner World" has returned to the scanner world. I looked at the thread, but found no link for SW. I tried searching, but found nothing.

Here is something that might interest you: Best Indoor Scanner Antenna Reviews 2021
The reasons for their highest ranking antenna are:

If you have any of these makes, chances are that this antenna will work for you – Vertex Standard, Motorola, Uniden, Wilson, Icom, Kenwood, Uniden Radio Scanner, and Whistler Radio Scanner.

It’s also compatible with car mobile radios, amateur radios, two-way radios, handheld ham radios, FM radio transmitter, citizens band radios or CB radios, and public radio scanners.

The premium spring oscillator of this device enables you to get better reception and it also increases the strength of the signal, resulting in better audio quality.

/Ubbe

jimlawrence

I am curious. Did you find a replacement for the antenna in question?
Thanks for asking. Not yet, no. I'm still actively looking but haven't made a decision or a purchase, yet. I'm going to check out Will's suggestion next.

e737

Premium Subscriber
Years ago, I had a Scantenna from Grove Enterprises, then bought another one from Antennacraft, I seem to remember. It worked great and I was very happy with it. I'd like to buy another one but it appears they are no longer available. Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement that covers the bands the Scantenna covered? Thank you!
DPD OmniX is a great antenna! I bought this to replace my scantenna and is a perfect replacement..Awesome build quality also

trp2525

RR member jjlongworth has posted VERY DETAILED step-by-step instructions on how you can build your own ST2 Scantenna (if you are so inclined) in this RR thread: Build your own AntennaCraft ST2 Scantenna

For those who may prefer the very similar (and much sought after) Channel Master Monitenna 5094A, RR member jjlongworth has also posted the step-by-step building/assembly instructions for that antenna in this RR thread: Build your own Channel Master Monitenna

cmed325

Premium Subscriber
In the past few years ive purchased and used the Austin Ferret Base Antenna,,The Omni X,,And the Diamond 130 J,Antenna,,What i found is that they were pretty much the same across all the bands i listen to,,Still trying to figure out a good Pre-Amp to use with my Bias-Tee to improve the reception.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
still have an ST-2 in storage for a while, when purchased I bought 2 and only used one since (and still using it).
I will see what to do with it since they are "high value" now a days hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.