Record Out Jack BCT15 & BCD996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0QNB

3.5mm stereo, I checked the BCT15 manual page 141, as to why it is stereo is unclear, unless they figure someone will hook the radio up to a computers sound card, I do, digital recording is the way to go. For the 996 ditto found in manual page 132.

Last edited:

mkrubsack

Thank you. You are absolutely correct on the page numbers. That explains why I was only recording on one channel from the sound card. I will try a stereo patch cord instead of the mono one I was using, and hope to get both channels to record.

mkrubsack

I am using bcTool. I have several others, but for recording and controlling the scanner, I like bcTool the best.

How about you?

kd7ckq

+1 for BCTool. I use it for recording and logging. Works great. I like how it put the recordings into seperate folders by System then channel. Also, don't forget the usual time stamping.

Bryan
Sunny AZ

RedPenguin

Speaking of....

Speaking of this Record Out port on the back of the BCT15, is it really any different than just using the headphone jack?

Also, how would it be if someone decided to use the External Speaker port? Though I believe that mutes the scanner.

EDIT: I just realized something as I was writing this post. Is the main reason to do this, because it will not mute the scanner, so you can hear it as normal but also record? Something you can't do, with the headphone port.

andy404ns

Speaking of this Record Out port on the back of the BCT15, is it really any different than just using the headphone jack?

Also, how would it be if someone decided to use the External Speaker port? Though I believe that mutes the scanner.

EDIT: I just realized something as I was writing this post. Is the main reason to do this, because it will not mute the scanner, so you can hear it as normal but also record? Something you can't do, with the headphone port.

You're pretty much correct. The benefit of the record out jack is that you have an audio output at a constant volume regardless of what you have the volume set at on the actual scanner. So, for instance, you could recording something overnight without disturbing yourself while you sleep.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Also, you have control over which channels come out the RECORD OUT jack. The other jacks output all audio, regardless of channel.

K

kb0nly

Yep, i like this on my BC785D, i just went through figuring this out. The Record jack is a line out level and not affected by the volume control.

Whats also cool is i can still turn the volume up and down while i'm monitoring and not affect the output to the computer, i stream my audio live to my website now.

Another feature i'm glad Uniden included, the ability to specify which channels are recorded. I can leave some of the really local stuff that nobody listening via the internet would really want to hear or care about, but i can still listen to it while sitting at the scanner.

When i'm sitting upstairs i listen to my scanner in the shack on the laptop, i use NetDirect running in the Vista Sidebar so i don't have to have Winamp or Windows Media Player going all the time. Plus i can quickly switch to internet radio if the scanner gets boring.

RedPenguin

Can I ask?

Thank you. You are absolutely correct on the page numbers. That explains why I was only recording on one channel from the sound card. I will try a stereo patch cord instead of the mono one I was using, and hope to get both channels to record.

May I ask, where you got your cable?

I am looking for one now, because I didn't realize my audio cable was mono. It's weird, all this time I've been using bcTool with one frequency in my area, and never noticed any problem.

Now with other channel, it's giving a problem.

I tried NewEgg, the cable is only $5 but the shipping is $13, LoL.

EDIT: nvm, I found a place to get them that had way less shipping. I just hate when you are actually charged more shipping then the item it self, LoL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.