Recording an In Ear Monitor at a concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkyD

From what I know, most wireless IEM's use anywhere from 500-850mhz. I'm looking for a scanner that will be able to pick this up. I assume I'll need some sort of wideband scanner, but I'm a complete newbie and have no idea where to be begin. The catch is, I'm leaving first thing Monday for this concert, and would like to find a scanner locally. I need something with a line-out so I can plug it into a minidisc recorder. Any thoughts?

MarkyD

for the record...

by the way, this particular band has an open recording policy...

MarkyD said:
by the way, this particular band has an open recording policy...

What's the name of the band? I know of a few sites that post legal live recordings of concerts. I have always been able to find concerts I been too.

MarkyD

WisconsinRailfan said:
What's the name of the band? I know of a few sites that post legal live recordings of concerts. I have always been able to find concerts I been too.

311. I could easily do a normal recording, but I really want to get the IEM transmission. It's so neat to hear the band talking in between songs, the click track, etc. It's just intriguing to me!

LEH

Premium Subscriber
MarkyD,

A single scanner won't do the trick for you (unless you want mono). I've taken my Icom R-10 to several concerts and found the mikes and return feeds. Each mike is on its own frequency, so you would need a scanner per channel, going to a mixer to fit into most recorders two channel recording (or computer sound card).

I will admit, it is nice to sit and listen to at least one member of the band in your ear piece, but sometimes, it just isn't worth the effort. To record that is fine, but you really don't get the rest of the group, or if you do, they are just background.

One other thing as you're looking for a scanner that can pick up the IEM's. The one's I've listened to are all WFM, so make sure you can that option. Most good continuous coverage radios do allow you to switch modes (AM/NFM/WFM), some even allow sideband for HF coverage.

emalvido

IEM taping

I was recommended with this one:
sennheiser ek 300 iem g3 B band
there are also these bands A,B.C,D etc....
So the B band would be the right choice?
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.