Recording Capability (SDS200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Have a SDS 200.
Just realized that it has the recording capability.

Would like to be sure I am using it correctly.

Have set "Set Replay Duration" to 120 seconds.

a. Anything else i have to enable, or set, to be able to have it record ?

e.g., is there a Key to push to enable recording, or it automatically does it once the, e.g., 120 sec. is enabled ?

b. A bit confused over the function of the Replay/Record Key.
Does this have to be pushed to enable recording ?

Or, just used for Playing back ?

c. And, for my 120 sec setting, what happens after the 120 seconds ?
Does it just erase (record over) what has been recorded ?

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Appreciate the help,
Bob

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Two types of recording are available...Replay does exactly as stated...
It is a tamporary record feature that you can set the duration in seconds you want it to record so that you can review a few of the previous
transmissdions. It is not permanently stored...
If you set it to 120 seconds... you will get 120 seconds of recordings...
when you reach the 120 seconds you set... it is FIFO... First in, first out...
So you will always have the last 120 seconds of recording...

The full recording feature runs continously and will store it on the sd card till you do something with it.

In either case... it starts and stops recording with the opening and closing of the squelch...

Last edited:

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
To record push the function knob then record. It will ask you to confirm by pressing E/yes. Do the same process to stop recording. Recorded files are located in: menu/settings/replay options.

BOBRR

Hi Randy,

Just a quick thanks.
Appreciate the help.

Sure is a lot to know.

Regards,
Bob

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Bob...

Replay and Record are 2 different functions. Check these links in Mark's Easier to Read Manual.

By the way, I know others as well as myself have refered you to Mark's manuals many times. You may not be aware that you can search through those manuals on your computer without having to scan through the entire manual.

Once you are looking at one of the manuals at Mark's site, press Control/F on your keyboard, and a small window will pop up where you can enter a search word. That will bring you directly to that section of the manual instantly.

BOBRR

Hi everyone,

Thanks all for all the help.
Most appreciated.

Nice of everyone to take all the time to help me out.

Regards, and stay well,
Bob

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
BOBRR said - Sure is a lot to know.

Reminds me of an old car commercial...

It's not your fathers Oldsmobile...
So... Its not your fathers Scanner... LOL

Hang in there... Eventually it will all click into place for you...

Ubbe

If you set it to 120 seconds... you will get 120 seconds of recordings...
Remember that the timer ticks regardless if there are conversations or not. If it was one single 10 sec conversation the last 120 sec then that's the only recording on the SD card that can be replayed.

The function are probably ment to be used when you hear something interesting but you wheren't paying attention when the conversation started, you then engage the permament recording and the whole conversation, including the replay buffer, will be stored on the SD card. If you wait out the conversation and then want to hear the beginning it migh already be gone. The biggest 240 sec buffer might then be more useful to you. If you notice that the conversation begins to reach the 240 sec limit, 4 minutes, you start manual recording to be able to save the start of the conversation.

/Ubbe

Reactions: RRR

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Ubbe... You are correct... I havn't played with the replay function since way back when I had my 436...
Thanks for the correction...

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As noted above Replay and Recording are two things. Replay allows you to replay a transmission that you just missed as in "What did he just say?"

Recording allows you to record everything that is said and come back to it another time. How many recordings your scanner will hold is dependent on the size of the SD card and how much room is left after Favorite Lists, Full database. As far as I can tell, 100 KB space is used for every 6 seconds worth of recording.

You can listen to recordings via the scanner or connect the scanner to a computer in mass storage and download the recordings for future use. Recordings can be found in the audio>user_rec folder.

Ubbe

It's much easier listening to the recordings if you move them from the SD card to your PC and then use the free program Uniden Wav File Player.

/Ubbe

BOBRR

Hi,

Do I have this correct:

I have the Record Time set up as 120 seconds.
Locked onto one channel only.
There is a 60 second conversation, which is ,as expected, recorded.

But then the Squelch closes, and nothing forever more on that channel.

But we stay on that Channel.

Does the 60 second recording stay indefinitely since Squelch is closed (for everything), or does it disappear after
the 120 seconds ?

Thanks,
Bob

andyman82

TampaScan
The recording feature on the SDS200 is great, I have it recording all the time (func+rec, e/yes). You won't be able to replay while recording so keep that in mind, but the recordings will be there until you delete them and the 4GB card that comes with it can easily hold a week or more of non-stop clips.

I try to transfer my recordings daily just so that it is faster. The fastest way is to remove the card and put it directly in the computer vs the usb cable (~10x faster going direct in the computer). The mp3 clips all have the channel metadata embedded too, so I'll turn on "title" in the windows folder and then sort them by the file name, which is the date/time. Makes it very easy to find clips you're looking for!
The sound on the files is great, I must say it's a lot better than the proscan recorder. I still run both for redundancy, but very much prefer the sound quality direct from the SDS200.

Ubbe

Does the 60 second recording stay indefinitely since Squelch is closed (for everything), or does it disappear after the 120 seconds ?
The 120 sec timer always ticks so the recording will be gone after that time.

As mentioned, you can just as well have the record on permanently and then use the Uniden wav file player program to search and sort on TG, date or frequency to find what you are looking for. There's not really any advantages, except to instant replay a recording in the scanner, compared to continously have recordings being stored but then have to search thru bunches of hundred recordings, or move them to your computer and use wav player.

/Ubbe

freqseeker

Ah, so the manual isn't out yet. I love the spiral-bound ones.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I appreciate the info
You can open the manual you want then select print to PDF. You can have a print shop like Office Depot, UPS Store, Kinkos etc print and bind it.
I just uploaded the PDF to Office Depot via their website and chose the paper weight, dual sided color printing, spiral or comb binding and chose a clear front cover with black rear cover. I found a coupon code that made the final price just under $25. It was ready three hours later.
They had to redo it because some pages were out of order and thus were punched on the wrong side. Turned out very nice.
I did check for a copyright message before printing and didn't see one.

Status
Not open for further replies.