recording from police scanner - Greyhound Killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I can't believe anyone is this stupid to actucally post this on the internet. I'm sure the RCMP are going to track down the source and have this person charged. RCMP claim late Saturday the recording was pulled from YouTube. As of 4:00 PM MDT today the recording is still available.

So too the the JackA$$ in Manitoba who posted this, go screw....

TXEMT

RCMP radio tapes, Greyhound bus murder

Sounds like SWAT setting up at that crazy Greyhound bus murder last week...someone leaked the dispatch tapes to the press...this has to be one of the most bizarre things I have heard on a radio and being in the public safety field for years that is saying alot..link below.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/471031

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You have to wonder what the police were waiting for, and why did they need an entire SWAT team to deal with one man, armed with a knife, and no live hostages?

Jammin_Jay

Its terrible enough that this horrific thing has happened, and what the families have to deal with. I agree totally with you, to have the actually events played out and recorded from RCMP communications from a police scanner is totally wrong. This just adds more fuel to the fire to have POLICE COMMUNICATIONS ENCRYPTED. Now that it is posted on You tube for every Media Agency to get there grubby hands on, and exploit it, just terrible.

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
Eventually a 911 call recording of this would probably surface anyway and would be released to the media or when the trial came. At least in the US anyway.

Jammin_Jay

But this is in Canada. And if it the 911 call was played out, that is totally different, to RCMP radio communications. That is a 911 call. The youtube recording is of a police communcations, leaked out without consent. I can see why the RCMP would be upset at this. I can see more coming out of this in the coming days. Obviously someone in manitoba, was close enough to the tower to receive the communications.

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
1. It's probably not too much of a secret who recorded it and/or made it available. First of all, there are several people in MB who are well known to the police and make such recordings on a regular basis. Besides that, the original post came from a Shaw internet account, which isn't exactly anonymous either.

2. Mostly all media agencies have either scanners or radios issued to them by the public safety agencies. This won't do anything toward encryption. If police didn't want media to know what is going on, they wouldn't issue media agencies receive-only XTS2500s, or even more, issue press releases.

3. I was the one who brought the clip to RadioReference as I posted the link to shaw.ca that I found on another forum. I don't think that's a bad decision that I made. First of all, it's radio comms related to a newsworthy incident, and this site is about radio comms. Second of all, regardless of what details are in it, it's unlikely to make an impact on the lives of the poor man's family. The injustice was done to their loved one, and whether it is reported or not, it still happened. I'm pretty sure that the victim's family isn't out trolling the Internet right now.

Having said all that, I can understand the RCMP's dismay at their comms being recorded and released without their permission. Many places here treat their comms as super-secret despite the fact it is inherently not so due to its technical nature, and have even convinced certain scanner enthusiasts to play into that game. Personally, I don't say anything on a radio that I wouldn't shout from a rooftop with a megaphone. I know there are thousands of scanner users who listen to me and my colleagues all the time. If it were my decision to make, I would be more upset at the agencies which treat open-air comms as private when they're not, instead of being upset at someone posting a clip of a radio transmission.

If you are against posting clips of radio transmissions, are you looking to eradicate live streaming scanners on the Internet as well? What about the "Breaking News" forums here where posters send out information on calls "as paged"?

It's just information. If it's not being used for improper gain, it's not violating laws, morally or legally.

Anyway, having said all that, the above are my opinions and are posted civilly within the rules of the forum. Please keep it clean and civil in here so we don't have to lock the thread.

MrVelvet

I don't know, I listened to the clip, (the first one I found on youtube), and didn't find it overly offensive or crude. (I'm guessing there is only one clip and didn't go searching around for multiple clips.) The graphic description of what happened by the person on the bus that was broadcast on the evening news was 100x more detailed than that recording.

boomboy64

I don't really see this as a biggie, but I'm betting that it'll start up the debate again on the issue of communicating what you hear to a third party. I asked a question on a few forums some years back about the legalities of streaming comms given the third-party prohibitions, but no one could really answer it definitively. It pretty well boiled down to it probably being illegal if you were strictly to the wording, but IC not really caring about it. If the RCMP sqawks loud enough, IC might very well get interested enough to come down on people who do it.

Time will tell...

my 2 cents...

Dan in Winnipeg

SCPD

QRT
I'm not against posting radio transmissions, if its done legally. If this person had any class they would of posted the entire stand-off not just a mintue and a half of gory detail.

I'm very sure the RCMP will not let this one get by without recourse.

I would'nt be surprised if the family sue whoever was responible for the posting.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's certainly no worse than all the publicity that Jeffrey Dahmer had. It's reality, as bazaar as it was.

SCPD

QRT
I just had a listen... and I think Global news was way more graphic then what the officers said.

They were acting as professional as they could at the time. Think about how you would handle seeing what they did and then relaying it in a professional manner.

As for the recording, a 911 tape will be released eventually once evidence is sealed and this case which is clearly cut for anyone who witnessed it is done.

I don't ever foresee myself taping and releasing what I have heard privately, just due to the fine line between informed respectful listener and what others would call a "voyeur".

That being said, I'm sure all of us would rather be aware when a crazy cannibalistic man is riding the bus to our town, before he does any more harm to anyone else.

My last note is in regards to the family, first off this is a sick and twisted thing that has happened we all know this and im sure we all feel for the people involved. But rest assured they know the details of everything they can be told. This is not new news to them... They knew this first before this tapping was released.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I heard it, and saved it. Just what would someone be charged with in Canada? I mean the recorder/poster, not the dude who did a slice and dine on the bus.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Covered previously. Check Industry Canada web site: quote "Currently, under the Radiocommunication Act, while listening is not prohibited, it is an offence to divulge or use information obtained from non- broadcast radio signals without the permission of the people who sent the messages." Or this type of devulging serious information on RCMP acitivities will certainly hasten encryption and the demise of scanner listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.