Recording On / Off menu item on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Uniden ..

How about a setting for recording on / off on scanner startup for the 436HP/536HP ?

The fact that Whistler is far superior in this area is surely a bit embarrassing.

A simple recording on / off selection menu item would go a long way to fix the SD card issues that people that record a lot are facing. (recording turning off on random rebooting)

It is about time that these scanners acted like the flagship models that they are.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Uniden ..

How about a setting for recording on / off on scanner startup for the 436HP/536HP ?

The fact that Whistler is far superior in this area is surely a bit embarrassing.

A simple recording on / off selection menu item would go a long way to fix the SD card issues that people that record a lot are facing. (recording turning off on random rebooting)

It is about time that these scanners acted like the flagship models that they are.
There is a recording "off" selection on the replay setting in the profile.The same setting is available in the Replay settings on the scanner itself, but no 'prompt' setting during bootup.

Is that what you were thinking? Or a change to selective recording for specific channels/talkgroups, as on the TRX-1 (I don't have the other GRE/Whistler 'database scanners' such as the WS1080/-1088, etc).

SCPD

QRT
I just want a menu setting so I do not have to keep hitting FUNC + RECORD on startup.
It is an issue as the scanner apparently likes to randomly reboot .. and thus recording is turned off when it does so.

troymail

Silent Key
We've been asking for years - nothing.

They probably can't - or it would take a "companion" change in the firmware that would automatically disable the setting when the radio crashes once there are 2Gb of recordings... otherwise the radio would just keep crashing over and over.

SCPD

QRT
Maybe they just need to fix their scanners ? Just saying.

I am still testing the 2 GB thing .. right now probably about at 700 MB.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Obviously, fix the firmware bug.

But it would be trivial to make recording off/on a "sticky" setting like squelch or location coordinates or Range setting.

troymail

Silent Key
FWIW - I've been having this issue over the past few days on my 436 (same problem 436/536) -- it started rebooting, shutting off recording, and losing unsaved changes (quick keys, etc.). I didn't have time to pull the recordings so I just kept restarting recording whenever I noticed.

Today, it was rebooting about ever 20-30 minutes (or less).

I'm finally getting around to dumping the card.... after numerous reboots of the radio ... there are about 42,000 recordings ... about 2.69Gb. In this instance, the card is 32Gb but it doesn't seem to matter -- 30k/2Gb seems to be all Uniden knows how to handle (although in this case I "forced" it to go a little longer).

SCPD

QRT
I am sitting at 1.03 GB right now .. still waiting to hit the magic mark. Not there yet as everything seems to be working fine so far. I am running 1.09.02 firmware.

I imagine it will be a few days at least for me to hit the 2 GB mark. I could help it along .. but I want this to be a fair and true test.

SCPD

QRT
I am at 32,353 files right now (and about 1.65 GB) .. and so far no issues.

It is recording .. and I am waiting for the dreaded reboot. I will know when I see that the recording is no longer happening, but not likely to see the reboot happen if it does.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Sitting at 49,122 files and 2.33 GB and still no issues. It is recording just fine.

I only have 5500 - I checked yesterday and forgot to restart recording :)

I think you will beat me to 65000.

FWIW - this one is a 2 week old unit with the original card, also first time I even bothered recording with it.

SCPD

QRT
I only have 5500 - I checked yesterday and forgot to restart recording :)

I think you will beat me to 65000.

FWIW - this one is a 2 week old unit with the original card, also first time I even bothered recording with it.

The fact you have to manually start recording is extremely annoying .. especially if you own a GRE / Whistler where it is so much better when it comes to recording.

I am running an old firmware .. just to test if it reboots or will fill the card. It is a 16 GB card so a long way to go. But I will let it run as long as it takes.

SCPD

QRT
Checked today .. and it is still working fine and still recording.

Sitting at 3.68 GB, 79,014 files and 793 folders.

SCPD

QRT
Well it finally died .. with an SD card error on the screen of the scanner. As far as I can tell .. it never rebooted once.

It stopped at the following on the 536HP, 99714 files,1000 folders, and 4.56 GB.

I have a feeling it was the 1000 folders that did it and it just could not do the next folder even though there is lots of space on the card.

troymail

Silent Key
Still alot more than I get -- two questions:

1. How were you able to determine the card metrics (Gb, files, dir ct, etc.) without stopping the scanner?

2. What are the specifics on the SD card - manufacturer, type, speed, size, etc.?

SCPD

QRT
Still alot more than I get -- two questions:

1. How were you able to determine the card metrics (Gb, files, dir ct, etc.) without stopping the scanner?

2. What are the specifics on the SD card - manufacturer, type, speed, size, etc.?

Answers ..

1. I popped the card out and put it into my SD card reader on my computer to see the stats. I just kept recording the files to it until it stopped working.

It is interesting that it appears the limitation is the number of folders .. as the size and number of files does not seem to be the cause of the error.

2. Sony 16 GB 40 MB/S Class 10 .. pretty standard stuff.

This leads me to believe that there is a firmware bug that is in the more recent firmware versions that causes issues. I had no reboot issues using the firmware I used, as I never had to restart the recording after turning the recording on.

Last edited:

Ubbe

This morning my 536 rebooted with 30 minutes intervals and when I connected the USB cable it did the usual "saving files to sd card" and in the middle of that it rebooted again.

Looks like a bad SD card, that it wasn't possible to write to it, but after that the scanner didn't reboot. I checked the SD card for errors and after 15 minutes the test came back with no errors.

It's a 32GB samsung evo+ UHS-1 class10 card.

The card is populated with 38540 files and 411 folders @5.97GB
The user_rec folder have 38459 files and 399 folders @ 5.92GB

/Ubbe

SCPD

QRT
Ubbe .. that would go a long way to confirm that there is a firmware bug that is causing the reboot issues.

I personally do not buy the SD card as being the cause of these issues but rather a Uniden firmware bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.