• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Recording/reproducing a radio signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowman

This may be the wrong forum, if so sorry. I have some radio control cars from radio shack. I happened to notice something interesting about them- the frequencies they work on are CB frequencies. The sound can be heard on my scanner or my cb and you can hear it change when different buttons are hit.

One downside to theese cars is they are really short range, I'm kinda curious if there's a way to record and reporduce the signals the remote sends to the car with a CB or something similar. One thing I'm looking at doing with this eventualy is to rig another rc toy up so a PC can control it.
A possibility is to try to just build/modify the toy's own transmitter and have the PC activate it.

There are a few reasons why I'd rather reproduce the signal with my own transmitter.
1. More range- many of these toys don't even work 30' away
2. I suck at soldering and have little to know experience building this kind of thing
3. I won't risk breaking a toy's controler

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
with as crappy as Radioshack RC cars are, it wouldn't be worth the time or effort to break all the plastic off the RC car to install the pistol grip style transmitter and receiver like the pro racers use. Had one of those on my Traxxas Rustlers, and it probably costs more than the entire truck he owns.

What you could do if you were really bored though....

find an old CB amplifier somewhere, solder the antenna on the controller to the center conductor of the input jack on the amp, then connect some coax to the output and terminate it with a mag mount with a 102" steel whip stuck on something metal near your driveway :)

I do not condone these actions, nor are they legal. But if you do it, please video tape and send to me :)

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
Now that I think about it, I might even have a tiny 40 watt CB amp that I would donate to this project :)

Cowman

Actually the goal of this is to interface a computer to whatever radio control device I end up using so the pc can control it. I've seen people rig up stuff that's pretty much a board connected to the PC's parallel port with a few transistors wired up to the RC control for the car. The purpose of messing with the radio shack RC car is to basically figure out if I can make it work or not without spending a lot of money.

The final project is a bit cooler... and I'll surely have video and info up on a website if I ever actually get it done. It actually involves a few components, getting the PC to control the RC vehicle is the one thing I havn't figured out how to do yet.

So backing up, some of you may have seen or heard of software that lets you hook up a webcam to a PC and if it detects motion it will take a still image and save it. A cheap security camera basically. Well I found some open source software with an additional feature- it could operate a stepper motor via the parallel port and pan the camera to follow the motion. I got to thinking, if this could control a stepper motor, why couldn't it control something else?
This is the kind of something else I had in mind...
http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Tank-Military-TOY-Shoots-Airsoft-BIG-Battle-Tank_W0QQitemZ280019380712QQihZ018QQcategoryZ44026QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

With one of these mounted on the turret
http://cgi.ebay.com/WIRELESS-HIDDEN-MINI-COLOR-SPY-CAMERA-SECURITY-CAM-CCTV_W0QQitemZ130020360590QQihZ003QQcategoryZ48632QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The reason for the tank is two-fold.
1. A tank can rotate 360 degrees just like a rotating camera would. A car would have to move forward to turn and that would be harder to program.
2. It's a tank... it's cool. And a bit of additional code and interface to a switch would let it chase someone and possibly shoot them with an airsoft BB.

Think of it as a more active security system :lol:

So am I insane or what?
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.