Recording Scanner Audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankcastle

Is there a way to record scanner audio (BCD396XT) through the serial port cable? I would like to record and listen at the same time. If I use a program that utilizes the audio output jack of the scanner it cancels out the speaker. I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but I have been searching with no luck so far. Thanks.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
No. But if you record through your computer just listen to the scanner using the speakers on the computer.

Mike

frankcastle

When I tried the Scanner Recorder program it wouldn't play it live through the computer speakers. I could only hear it when I played back the files it recorded. Am I doing something wrong?

DonS

What operating system?

In Windows, you can selectively mute / unmute the real-time "playback" of each audio source - including "Mic" and "Line In". You only hear, for example, the "Mic" input coming through the computer's speakers if the "Mic" input is unmuted.

If you're using Windows, it sounds like you have whichever input you're using muted in the playback controls. Try double-clicking the volume control icon in the task bar (near the clock) and see if you can unmute (and/or adjust playback volume of) the input in whatever control windows appear.

frankcastle

Yup, I got it working now. The only down side is that I have to have the mic input, and the scanner itself turned down so low that I can't really hear it live through the speakers. When I turn it up I just seem to get a distorted recording. I'm still playing around with all the settings, trying to get the best recording while still being able to hear the scanner. I thought that maybe I would split the headphone output of the scanner. Send one signal to my computer for recording, then have the other channel sent to a cheap pair of amplified speakers. Does that sound like a plan?

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Splitter?

I have the same scanner and have been pondering the same question about recording while listening when AWAY from a PC.
What about using a splitter cord from the earphone jack with one branch going to earphones and the other going to an electronic voice memo recorder like the Olympus VN-6200PC? Would this work?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
frank, if you are using a laptop, sometimes even the mic input might be too sensitive for use without attenuation. You may need an attenuating patch cord in this case - I'm pretty sure RS and maybe Best Buy would have something like this.

Some laptops are OK without using one by fooling around with the levels in the Master control panel, but this is certainly an alternative 73 Mike

frankcastle

frank, if you are using a laptop, sometimes even the mic input might be too sensitive for use without attenuation. You may need an attenuating patch cord in this case - I'm pretty sure RS and maybe Best Buy would have something like this.

Some laptops are OK without using one by fooling around with the levels in the Master control panel, but this is certainly an alternative 73 Mike

Yea, I think I need something like that. I have the scanner volume on 1, and the computer mic input volume just barely above the very minimum. Even then the sound isn't bad, but it is still a little scratchy.

ilgrant

Some audio devices have a +20 db option in the Windows Control Panel under Sound and Audio Devices - > Voice Tab - > Voice Recording and then click the Advanced button if it is not grayed out. If it is grayed out then there is probably not a +20db option.

Digital Voice Recorders and cassette recorders have a monitor mode which allows a user to listen to what is being recorded through an earphone. So a splitter cable may not be necessary.

Last edited:

linuxwrangler

Sometimes, especially on laptops with only one input, you have software options to select microphone-in or line-in. You want line-in.

BTW, I have occasionally used the "sox" (Sound eXchange) command line tools on Linux (though there are apparently Windows and Mac versions as well) to record overnight (rec -c 1 -r 8000 scanner.flac silence 1 1 .4 -1 1 .4). I set the options to only record when there is activity. On playback, I use the options to speed-up the playback (play scanner.flac tempo 1.5) while keeping the pitch the same so I can listen to an hour of recording in 40 minutes. I've only tried this a few times for fun but when I did, I could often listen to the whole night's activity on my drive to work.

frankcastle

I have an old resistance mixer that I am going to try. That should reduce the signal. I got my audio feed up and working. I have the headphone out of the scanner split. One side goes to a cheap a pair of amplified computer speakers. The other side to goes to the mic input of my laptop. The laptop only has the one input, and it can't be changed to a line input. I have the input level set as low as possible. The audio quality of the live feed isn't too bad (if anyone wants to listen and let me know what they think, that would be great). I wonder though if the speakers are causing a little bit of interference with my reception. My antenna signal strength seems to be lower today. Of course it is also very windy and snowing outside as well. I am also getting a snap or pop every time squelch is opened and closed. Is this normal? Thanks for all your help!

frankcastle

Does anyone know how to get rid of the popping sound every time squelch is opened? It has been driving my nuts. I am now listening through a pair of computer speakers. It does whenever anything is connected to the headphone jack.

frankcastle

rvictor

You should be able to do this with Proscan.

I'm not sure just what "this" is, but you can't use the serial cable for audio even with Proscan. You need to run a cable from the headphone jack to one of the inputs on the computer. Also, Proscan won't eliminate the popping sound. The method described in the other thread will. Once you've got both of those issues resolved, Proscan is a great program to use for recording.

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.