Recording scanner for WSP 700 MHZ trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering what scanners anyone would recommend for WSP 700 MHZ phase II system. I looking for a mobile scanner for mostly Snohomish/King county area as this is my work commute. I currently have HP-1, which Is presently at uniden for repairs. I put my 996XT in my vehicle while I wait for Uniden to repair the HP-1. Obviously neither are Phase II scanners. I do hear activity on the conventional frequencies, but neither of those two radios decode them very well in my vehicle. Honestly they are horrible at it. I have a Austin spectrum antenna with NMO mount drilled in the center of the roof. I was wondering if anyone has any issues with the simulcast systems on the 700 MHZ site. I really don’t want to spend the 650-700 dollars for a SDS series, or waste money on a cheaper phase II If it will not work well on the simulcast sites.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Buy a TRX-1 -- it's the best option... portable/mobile or base use like me... it has the best recording features, IMO. It's USB or battery powered so easy to power from car these days. That said, I haven't used it much on the WSP system -- a little bit -- and I have no simulcast issues. I haven't really had it mobile no idea if you'll run into issues there.

Best place to find one is on E-Bay for $300-400... Don't pay $500 for a new one -- unless you really want to.

PS. Don't put anything greater than 8GB MicroSD or the boot time will be long. 8GB will leave you plenty of recording space. You'd be surprised what a 4GB card can hold!

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
A TRX-1 was recommended above. Which is a quite good radio, but I no longer have mine, because....

The primary reason was GPS. Whistler doesn't have it, Uniden does. And, if you spend the time getting GPS set up properly, you can drive all over the NW (wherever) and have the radio scanning only stuff where you are at - without ever touching a button. (search "rectangles").

I and probably others would possibly even share their hpe files with you.... (I have rectangles built for every LE agency in WA and many OR counties).

436s are fairly inexpensive and a good radio. Plus, if/when you do decide to get an SDS, (highly recommended because of so much simulcast here and topography causing multipath), you already have the favorites built - easily loaded via Sentinel.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
The TRX-1 looks like I good scanner, I like the GPS features of the Unidens for mobile scanning. I also realized the title of my thread should say “Recommended” not “Recording” (I should of used my computer and not my phone when starting the thread). I do think the you get more for your money with TRX-1, but after thinking about it for a while I thing a GPS would be a must for a mobile for me. I use the GPS for the HP-1 now and really like it. NESNET, It must of took a lot of time and effort to make such a detailed HPE file like you have. I made one for just my local area and it was difficult and I am still fine tuning it. Thanks for everyones input and I apologize for the mistake in the title. I am leaning towards the 436, but going to think about for a bit. I am in no hurry.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
The TRX-1 looks like I good scanner, I like the GPS features of the Unidens for mobile scanning. I also realized the title of my thread should say “Recommended” not “Recording” (I should of used my computer and not my phone when starting the thread). I do think the you get more for your money with TRX-1, but after thinking about it for a while I thing a GPS would be a must for a mobile for me. I use the GPS for the HP-1 now and really like it. NESNET, It must of took a lot of time and effort to make such a detailed HPE file like you have. I made one for just my local area and it was difficult and I am still fine tuning it. Thanks for everyones input and I apologize for the mistake in the title. I am leaning towards the 436, but going to think about for a bit. I am in no hurry.

Yes, it was (a lot of work) - over some time. And, I keep multiple back-ups!!
Thank God there are (were anyway) websites where you could input most any jurisdiction (state/county/city, etc) and get the NW/SW coordinates of a bonding box, then it was just a simple cut/paste (to each).

Note: ProScan also has a handy tool, where you can easily define, or resize you circles/rectangles.

Rectangles are so much more precise than circles - and you can input multiple rectangles, so you can further fine tune an area. Trust me, having this set up this way makes using a scanner while mobile a pleasure - not having to push buttons as you cross boundaries, (or listen to traffic outside of where you are at).

Status
Not open for further replies.