recording software

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcd396t

hello there ive been doing some audio recording to my laptop with my 396t and useing the program scancorder it seems to be working well but im just wondering if there is any other free recording software that may be better out there?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
ID Tracker II does; and although it has some issues (the author says he'll be working on this package over the Xmas holiday), so does BCTool. There's also the AVC396 software, although I don't know just how functional that really is.

Do yourself a favor; keep the 396 wiki article handy. All of the links for these are there, and there's lots of other links there too

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396T

73 Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Packages like Scancorder and XCorder are fine for recording just 1 or 2 channels, but if you're trying to track activity on several channels or talkgroups, that falls apart rather fast. That's why some of the scanner-specific packages are better in this regard, since they often tag the name with a tg, frequency or other identifying information, not just a date/time stamp

73 Mike

KHPFAN

I have a pro-96 and a toshiba laptop. I have the hook up to connect my scanner to my computer with the phono jack at both ends and for some reason i cannot hear the audio when i hook it up. Is there something i need to change or do that will allow me to hear or is there nothing i can do about it..please let me know.

bcd396t

I have a pro-96 and a toshiba laptop. I have the hook up to connect my scanner to my computer with the phono jack at both ends and for some reason i cannot hear the audio when i hook it up. Is there something i need to change or do that will allow me to hear or is there nothing i can do about it..please let me know.

when you have the scanner hooked up to the computer you should just be able to turn up the volume on your computer and you will get the audio through your computer speakers if your speakers are not working you can get a Y splitter to plug in your scanner an hook up an external speaker.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There is also the chance - a good one, from the number of times I've seen it - that your input jack is muted. You didn't say where on your PC you've got it connected, but - assuming you are using XP - double click on the volume icon in the system tray and check which inputs are muted. You can also check Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices to see if the volume setting shows 'muted'. This would mute the speakers.

I'm sure there's something similar for Vista (yechhh...Vista = Me version for 2008) 73 Mike

KHPFAN

I can only find two plug ins on my computer (vista) and i tried plugging it into both of them ( headset and the microphone jacks) neither of which worked and nothing is muted...i really don't know

Have_Teeth

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm surprised no one has mentioned ScanRec yet.

http://www.davee.com/scanrec/

I've used it for more than 6 years. It's stable, never crashes, and is VERY simple to figure out. Even K8TEK could work it.

If your needs are more advanced, consider sending a small donation to the author for access to his "ScanRec Pro" software. It's awesome. Two most important features you gain with pro:

- Ability to use more than one soundcard. (With 2 cards, you can tape 4 audio channels...aka 4 scanners at once)
- Automatic file switching whenever you set it to do so. (Rotates your logs at midnight for example)

Very cool software.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.