Recording to my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

robocop80

Hello All,

I have a BCT15 and I would like to reord to my pc. Can someone tell me the type of cable that is needed to connect from the mic input to back of the scanner rec input. I would like to go to radio shack today and pick up the cable but I am not sure what I am asking for. Do I need anything additional other than that cable?

Thanks,

James

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's a wiki article with several tips on the subject, along with software (anything in blue - or underlined - is a link....)

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Recording_Software_and_Tips

I would think the line out from the BCT15 would be a standard 1/8 inch mono plug, though I could be wrong. It also depends somewhat on the soundcard - it may not be sensitive enough to be driven from the line out, which is usually a fixed lo-level output (my crapy desktop has this issue). So you may end up using the speaker output, which should similarly be a 1/8 inch mono.

73 Mike

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The jack is actually a stereo 1/8" (but both L and R channels are driven with the same content, so the audio is mono).

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Er, not exactly mono; rather single channel mono unless you make up your own cable. This involves a single circuit (mono) plug on the scanner end and a two circuit (stereo) plug on the sound card end with both "hots" connected together feeding both inputs equally. This may be part of that sound card "issue", then maybe not in a world of many variables but use this cable and that aspect is eliminated.

The most common problems are incorrect sound card "mixer" settings. It's not a one size fits all world with so many sound cards and software programs for them, Windows Mixer Panel default won't handle the complexities of those fancy Surround Sound multi channel options. Linking itself to other software it SHOULD make them run in tandem but this can lead to problems (the rule of unintended consequences) so it's a good idea to look into everything and make sure the settings are right for the device in use at the time.

Then there is interaction with the recorder software as well, there are times when I wish I could find the suspect .dll files and blow them away. Since we're not all electrical engineers and computer geeks around here all I can say is thoroughly investigate, learn as much as you can about how these programs work and above all GOOD LUCK. If you find yourself pulling your hair out just shave your head; it's the "in" fashion and it's summer, nobody will notice. (;->)

Percussive maintainence;
If at first you don't succeed try a bigger hammer. If all else fails explosives are the solution.

robocop80

Okay I got the cable I need and I have everything set up. I am using ProScan to record my scanner and I am able to hear the transmissions through my pc very clear but the recording sounds distorted. Can someone help me understand what I am doing wrong or is there a way may the sound cleaner.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Try turning down the scanner and turning up the input level.

If you are using the MIC input, it takes very little signal to overload. I have an attenuating plug that drops down the headphone out to make it more compatible with a MIC input.

If your PC has a Line IN (rather than MIC) input, that would be the better input jack to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.