Recording two scanners at the same time using multiple soundcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

kepster9312

No I posted how my setup works antenna to scanner to computer. I have a total of 22 Uniden Scanners logging to 3 PROSCAN COMPUTERS
#1 16 Scanner Permanent 19 inch Rack Mount Setup
#2 4 Uniden Scanners in a 4 Scanner Spectra Force Rack with Mini PC Portable Setup
#3 2 Uniden Scanners in a 2 Scanner Spectra Force Rack with Mini PC Portable Setup
LINE IN IS BETTER THAN MIC IN................
This is not cheap options I have invested over $20,000.00 TOTAL in my systems.
Which one would you recommend and why:

Last edited:

waynedc

Premium Subscriber
That's what I am not sure about as when I did the search it pulled up the first one on the list

I use four of the top item you have listed in the message above. That gives me eight inputs (L/R signals split). I feed that into Voicemeeter Potato which dishes the audio out to four speakers and/or the computer speakers. I use Proscan for each receiver and I tell Proscan which input of the eight to use for record or streaming. Plan it out graphically on paper and then plug it all in. It works pretty well and survives reboots and Proscan updates.

kepster9312

I use four of the top item you have listed in the message above. That gives me eight inputs (L/R signals split). I feed that into Voicemeeter Potato which dishes the audio out to four speakers and/or the computer speakers. I use Proscan for each receiver and I tell Proscan which input of the eight to use for record or streaming. Plan it out graphically on paper and then plug it all in. It works pretty well and survives reboots and Proscan updates.
Well do thanks

Strainr

Do you just have to use a 'y' splitter to input the 2 scanner feeds into the single line in port on the sound card? What does it look like in ProScan when you configure it?

waynedc

Premium Subscriber
Do you just have to use a 'y' splitter to input the 2 scanner feeds into the single line in port on the sound card? What does it look like in ProScan when you configure it?

Yes, I use a 3.5mm stereo plug to two 3.5mm mono jacks splitter plugged into each sound card input. I will grab a few pictures and screenshots to show you my layout.

waynedc

Premium Subscriber
Here is an image of my four sound cards mounted under a cabinet. There are screenshots of the audio settings for the recorder of one copy of Proscan, the Voicemeeter control panel, and the Windows 10 sound control panel. For this purpose is use TL, TR, BL, BR (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right) to designate each of the sound cards as mounted. And then each sound card input has separate left and right audio input channels. I hope that helps.

Attachments

• Win10 Sound.JPG
    Win10 Sound.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 31
  • VM Potato.JPG
    VM Potato.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Proscan Audio.JPG
    Proscan Audio.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 35
  • USB Sound Cards.jpg
    USB Sound Cards.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 36

Strainr

Here is an image of my four sound cards mounted under a cabinet. There are screenshots of the audio settings for the recorder of one copy of Proscan, the Voicemeeter control panel, and the Windows 10 sound control panel. For this purpose is use TL, TR, BL, BR (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right) to designate each of the sound cards as mounted. And then each sound card input has separate left and right audio input channels. I hope that helps.
Great info, thank you and thanks for the pictures!

Yocuz

Premium Subscriber
Hello. A bit off topic but a related question. I have two USB sounds cards, each time I plug them in my windows 10 machines changes the label from (1 - USB Sound Device) to the next sequential number. Now after rearranging the usb devices the count ended at 6 and the machine no longer recognizes the device. Does anyone know how or where to reset the USB audio device numbers in hopes I can get the second to work. I know how to relabel the text tag in sound settings but I want the counting to reset in hopes the devices will be recognized.

To add further. I do know how to use device manager to VIEW > SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES.

I just don't know how get the numbers to reset, currently my "BLUE" box which inputs a SDS100 is show as USB device 4 and my "GREEN" box which inputs a BCT15X is listed as USB device 5.

Ideally I would change the USB devices to 0 and 1 in the list in case I add more.

The color labels help me identify which scanner is being used. I have the BCT15X using PROSCAN showing green in the options along with a green 3.5mm TRS cable.

The same color system through out for the blue system.

Last edited:

Yocuz

Premium Subscriber
I have had 10 usb sound cards at the same time but did not like the amount or resources so I swapped to 5 that had stereo line inputs that works better for me.

Thanks for the info. Did you have any experience with what I was referencing in my OP regarding the USB Audio Device numbering issues and renumbering or resetting them?

Also since you are outputting 10 sources into 5 devices, I assume you are outputting mono (TS) to stereo (TRS) cabling and alternately switching your PROSCAN instances as MONO and alternating between L and R inputs to accomplish this task.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
The biggest problem I had when trying to record all my scanners was the inability to lock a USB sound card to a specific port number that I could link to ProScan. The goal is to ensure that the same scanner is controlled by the same instance of ProScan no matter what order they were started.
I have local 18 scanners running that I would want to record.

chris

If you want to record and they are trunk systems you would be better using trunk-recorder or SDRTrunk with SDR sticks, record all comms all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.