**Recovered Public Service Radio**

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGLHOOK

I recently recovered a Public Service radio. I am not sure if it is a stolen radio or how long it has been gone from Sanpete County. It is a Motorola Radius SP50+ 10 channel radio with a lapel mic. I am assuming that it belongs to an agency in Sanpete County. There is a distinguishing mark on the radio for anyone to easly identify it. There is also a paper taped to the front that lists the following channels:

1- Statewide
2- Sanpete
3- Fire
4- Nat. S&R
5- EMT Ops.
6- S&R repeater
7- EMS boarding ho.
8- ST.LD.cr-cr
9- Wt. Pines UHP
10- Gun. City

I would like to make sure it gets back to the proper agency. Anyone
with info please PM me.
Thanks, Brandon

Gilligan

Database Admin
Okay, that is probably going to be Sanpete County, as you guessed as well. Depending on where you found it, and considering the channels in it, it may have been involved in a search and rescue operation and was just lost somehow. By the way, it is Gunnison City in Sanpete County.

Now, you have a chance to add some info to the database... If the radio still turns on, grab a scanner with Close Call (Signal Stalker) or find someone who does, and check all the freqs and tones. Sanpete county has NO information in the RR database yet.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Yea but it's found property, no different than a wallet or whatever else. I would think they would make a found property report and contact the owner. We would. Then you don't have to worry about it.

kd7rto

Please do not transmit on that radio

Gilligan said:
Now, you have a chance to add some info to the database... If the radio still turns on, grab a scanner with Close Call (Signal Stalker) or find someone who does, and check all the freqs and tones. Sanpete county has NO information in the RR database yet.
If you really want Sanpete County freqs, here they are. Please do not transmit on that radio.

153.755,Spring City
153.92,Ephraim City
153.965,Sanpete Amb
153.98,Gunnison PD
154.025,Snow College
154.04,Spring City 2?
154.055,Snow College
154.1,Fairview
154.325,Sanpete Fire
154.725,Sanpete Jail
155.055,Sanpete S&R
155.1,Mt. Pleasant/Sheriff
155.145,Mt. Pleasant 2?
155.415,Sanpete Sheriff
155.64,Ephraim PD
155.805,Manti
155.835,Sanpete County
155.925,Sanpete EMS
156.165,Sanpete Roads

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Yeah the serial number could be in NCIC. You should turn the found property over to your local law enforcement.

LGLHOOK

NeFire242 said:
Yeah the serial number could be in NCIC. You should turn the found property over to your local law enforcement.

I ran the S/N and it was not listed on NCIC. I have had the radio for about 6 or 7 months. I impounded a vehicle for the UHP and before the car went to auction I pulled it out of the car so it did not fall into the wrong hands.

n6orz said:
If you really want Sanpete County freqs, here they are. Please do not transmit on that radio.

I agree. To do so would be illegal *and* dangerous.

SLWilson

Motorola

SP50's were programable by a Motorola dealer. IF IT WAS PROGRAMMED by a dealer/proper Motorola sales dept, they put the agency name in it. Motorola keeps that data on file, again, if it was SOLD/Programmed by a true dealer. We had a similar situation. We were able to locate the proper owner by calling our Motorola shop & having the SN ran to see who it was sold to.....Steve/Gallia 911 :)

N

N_Jay

Why is this so complicated?:roll:

What do you NORMALLY do when you find suspected stolen property in an impounded car?:confused:

Whatever that is, just do it in this case.;)

LGLHOOK

mangowest said:
if you have had that radio for six monthss and have not turned it in is that not also aiding and abetting.
All I do is run an impound yard, how is it my personal responsibility to return a radio that is in somebody elses car that has not gone up for auction. The registered owner never returned to get their car. It was going up for auction and I pulled the radio out of the car before it got sold, how do ya figure I am responsible for this???? besides what am I harboring, a radio from justice??? Get real.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

LGLHOOK said:
All I do is run an impound yard, how is it my personal responsibility to return a radio that is in somebody elses car that has not gone up for auction. The registered owner never returned to get their car. It was going up for auction and I pulled the radio out of the car before it got sold, how do ya figure I am responsible for this???? besides what am I harboring, a radio from justice??? Get real.

Lets understand.

You are given the car to hold, right?
The ownership of car and all its contents remains with either the original owner, or the jurisdiction, right?
At some point the jurisdiction auctions the car (and its contents) and the money becomes theirs, Right?

So how is removing the radio (for personal use, sale, or any other purpose) any different from striping the car for parts while in impound?:roll: :roll: :roll:

Sounds like at the least, you are in possession of stolen property; and at the most, you are the thief!

Utah_Viper

Seriously I would put it in a box and ship it to the Sherriff's office.

By even removing it from the car in any situation you have commited a crime of Theft. And it could get even worse if your found with the radio and it was ever involved in any other Crimes..... remember the old saying's:

Possesion is 9/10ths of the law
Guilt by association.

Rid yourself of that thing before you get into a real heap of trouble.

kf7yn

Concerning cars auctioned off by the State Tax Commission; owners who fail to remove personal belongings from impounded cars before they are placed up for auction forfeit that property.

That property belongs to the tow yard who impounded the car, or the new owner who buys the car at auction if the property is still in the car... Period. It doesn't matter if it's a radio, tools, or a bag of cash. That's the law folks..

Since the radio was never claimed, Brandon as an operator of the impound yard has every right to that radio regardless of the opinions to the contrary.

LGLHOOK

First off, Thank You Jon for knowing what you are talking about before you posted a comment. I appreciate people like you.
Second, N Jay let me ask you a question, How many years experience do you have in the towing and recovery industry?? Hummm, that's what I thought. Let me tell you something, I have been in the industry for 12 years. I have towed everything from a moped to a Helicopter to overturned semi rigs, etc. Just so you can get your "facts" strait, let me inform you. If your vehicle is impounded as a State Tax Impound (ie. DUI, regestration or Insurance issues), the car is towed to a State Tax approved impound yard where it is now property of the State of Utah. The state ownes that vehicle until the registered owner goes and obtains an impound release to claim that vehicle. In the event that the R.O. never obtains a release, the State of Utah holds a public auction to sell off the vehicle for the amount due to the tow yard for towing and storage fees against that vehicle. If the vehicle is not sold at that time, the tow yard is issued a "Certificate of Sale" by the state of Utah and the vehicle and all the CONTENTS there of becomes property of the TOW YARD. It is now up to the tow yard to decide what to do with the vehicle and ALL of it's contents.
In this case, I impounded this vehicle for DUI from the Highway Patrol. The R.O. failed to get an impound release, the state took all necessary steps and issued us, the tow yard a certificate of sale (title). So at that point, before we sold or crushed this particular car, I removed the radio from the car so that it did not fall into the wrong hands. I have done everything by the book as per Utah Law. I really do not appreciate being called a thief. If there is one thing in this world that I am not, it is a thief. You do not know me from Adam, there are plenty of people who do know my ethics and would trust me to no end. So I would really suggest that you keep your mouth shut unless you personally know me as a thief and a liar. I dont walk into your McDonals and tell you how to flip a humburger, and I suggest you not tell me how to flip mine.
And last but not least, I have been in contact with the Sanpete County S.O., and SAR / Fire Depts. who have all informed me that they have not lost any radios and in most cases do not even use that model/style of radio.

N

N_Jay

LGLHOOK said:
First off, Thank You Jon for knowing what you are talking about before you posted a comment. I appreciate people like you.
Second, N Jay let me ask you a question, How many years experience do you have in the towing and recovery industry?? Hummm, that's what I thought. Let me tell you something, I have been in the industry for 12 years. I have towed everything from a moped to a Helicopter to overturned semi rigs, etc. Just so you can get your "facts" strait, let me inform you. If your vehicle is impounded as a State Tax Impound (ie. DUI, regestration or Insurance issues), the car is towed to a State Tax approved impound yard where it is now property of the State of Utah. The state ownes that vehicle until the registered owner goes and obtains an impound release to claim that vehicle. In the event that the R.O. never obtains a release, the State of Utah holds a public auction to sell off the vehicle for the amount due to the tow yard for towing and storage fees against that vehicle. If the vehicle is not sold at that time, the tow yard is issued a "Certificate of Sale" by the state of Utah and the vehicle and all the CONTENTS there of becomes property of the TOW YARD. It is now up to the tow yard to decide what to do with the vehicle and ALL of it's contents.
In this case, I impounded this vehicle for DUI from the Highway Patrol. The R.O. failed to get an impound release, the state took all necessary steps and issued us, the tow yard a certificate of sale (title). So at that point, before we sold or crushed this particular car, I removed the radio from the car so that it did not fall into the wrong hands. I have done everything by the book as per Utah Law. I really do not appreciate being called a thief. If there is one thing in this world that I am not, it is a thief. You do not know me from Adam, there are plenty of people who do know my ethics and would trust me to no end. So I would really suggest that you keep your mouth shut unless you personally know me as a thief and a liar. I dont walk into your McDonals and tell you how to flip a humburger, and I suggest you not tell me how to flip mine.
And last but not least, I have been in contact with the Sanpete County S.O., and SAR / Fire Depts. who have all informed me that they have not lost any radios and in most cases do not even use that model/style of radio.

I apologize for not knowing UT State law.

Up to this point, you had NEVER mentioned that the radio is legally YOURS due to the process.

In the States I am familiar with the impound yard or two company never takes legal ownership of the vehicle. It is sold by the State.

(EDIT: Forgot to add "I learn something new every day!")

Last edited:

kd7rto

impounding vehicles

Cars, very often not causing a hazzard or obstruction, are being taken against the owner's will, and are being held by private companies until a ransom is paid.

How can any reasonable person consider the hassle and expense of getting a vehicle out of impound to be a fair penalty for parking in the wrong spot, or failure to pay a small tax?

If we were governed by a trully just set of laws, this would not be allowed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.