• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Recreation Vehicles and CB Radio Channel 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made slight mention of this in another thread, but decided to start a new thread on the topic.

There is discussion on several Recreation Vehicle forums about the practice of using CB Radio Channel 13 at the "National RV Channel". On the forums, a lot of people seem to be in agreement with this. However, what is actually happening out on the road may be another story. I suspect that if the idea fails, it will be because everyone is listening, but no one is talking. People will drive for hundreds of miles and report that they never heard anything on Channel 13 but will admit, if asked, that they never pick up the mic and gave a call.

It might be a good idea for CB Radio Operators who live near a highway - and who are interested in this subject - to give a call on Channel 13 every now and then. I do this daily. One of these days, someone will hear me. I also have 27.115 MHz programmed into a scanner. I also have assembled a "cheat sheet" of local information that travelers - on Channel 13 or 19 - might find useful, and that are relatively close to the highway. Information such as good mom-n-pop restaurants, donut shops, tire repair shops, road service, clinics, pharmacies, etc. It might also be a good idea for those who intend to monitor Channel 13 to go to a few RV forums and announce this fact. I haven't done this yet, but I might.

Oldme

Good idea.

I frequent several different RV forums.
Whenever the topic of CB comes up, I hear the same old - same old,
that was in the other thread you mentioned.

A few of us still utilize the CB. We are a definite minority.
It seems that most think that the cell/smart phone covers everything.

After all, many talk on it and pay a lot per month for their hot spots
for the internet. Then they setup their dish antenna in the RV resorts.
Only a smaller number routinely utilize state parks or small private
parks or so it seems, that frequently have NO cell coverage.
The CB is too " old school" for them, apparently.
Also there are fewer groups that travel together that would
talk with each other.

There are also a great number that can not even change a light bulb,
which is apparent form the questions they ask. No way could they
mount a CB, run power wires or install an antenna. Figuring out coax
or tuning an antenna, all would be way out of their pay grade.

The manufacturers of RVs do noting to promote the use and in reality
make many of the installs very difficult. All fiberglass bodies that are
composite laminates, make running coax so that it is not seen a nightmare.

Years ago many coach builders pre-ran the coax and power cables.
They even added a metal plate under the roof material for a ground plane
and had the antenna mount there and wired (capped off).
Not any more. They now save a $ and 10 min working time.
From what I understand it is not even an option on most now.

In our travels, admittedly not great due to recent health issues,
I have not heard anyone on CH 13 and have not gotten a reply
form another RVer on any channel, even eyeball to eyeball with them.

I do believe in the old saying of what goes around comes around.
I believe that CB will rebound.

The CB manufacturers will also have to let the general public know
that it is still available. I have read replies from some that some did
not even know you could still buy one and that no license was needed.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Good topic. Seen alot of conversation on this on the RV Forum also. I do try this, however 99% of the time I drive for an hour, hear nothing then flip back to 19. Guess I am old school but I cannot travel without a CB. I put one in my parents Class C a week after they got it and have one in each of my vehicles (2010 Super Duty and 2009 Jeep JK).

The biggest issue I found is exactly what i said above. I do like the NASCAR circuit and we try to do one race a year. I have asked many folks at the tracks when i see an antenna and all say they just leave them on 19.

Oldme:

I hadn't really considered the installation difficulties you mentioned. I have considered the "can't change a light bulb" angle, though. It looks like CB in RV's will be limited to those owners who are really interested - those who have been there before. I can't see the younger RV owner saying "we need to put a CB in here". At least not without strong hints from other CB'ers.

CB Radio does seem to be going through a rebound. Right now it seems that most of that rebound is old users getting back into it because they remember the fun and utility of the service from the early days. That type of rebound won't last too long without some new blood. Time will tell.

kb2ztx:

It may be that Channel 19 is the best way to go for anything on wheels on the highways, even with the "colorful language" issues.

My brother was at Texas Motor Speedway yesterday and they were having airplane (pylon) races. I had no idea that went on at a racetrack!

oldcb

would be nice if campgrounds/rv parks would keep a monitored base station at the main office/check in site, campers could easily communicate before entering and from campsite to park headquarters..............

Oldme

That would be a great idea.
Now to sell that to the owners of the camp grounds.

Maybe I will make that an inquire question when I
e-mail campgrounds about their facility.

oldcb

That would be a great idea.
Now to sell that to the owners of the camp grounds.

Maybe I will make that an inquire question when I
e-mail campgrounds about their facility.

yep, sure would be nice for that quick communication at an rv/campground..................

Attachments

• 305526_3540862093952_827883545_n.jpg
    305526_3540862093952_827883545_n.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 575

tripplenickel

Just a update, came back from trip to ST Augustine Fl and never heard any chatter all way there and back on 19. Don't know why.
As for RV's, any fiberglass body like the Fleetwood Southwind I just sold, you must use a NGP antenna system (no ground plane) . Mine worked very good with SWR adjustment that was made in the coax, was made by Wilson. JMHO,
tripple nickel aka 555 (dx)

ChetsJug

I used to see signs or lettering on the back of RV's telling what channel the boss man (driver) was monitoring.

"Monitoring CB Channel 19 & 11"

or whatever... So don't forget to advertize! and get on the channel and call out to other RV'ers.

Status
Not open for further replies.