Red and Blue light laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA9JGB

Premium Subscriber
I think this is interesting. Please don't delete if possible.

This may or may not be a OK topic for this forum, but I will post
anyways. Please delete this topic if this is not allowed.

As a Vol on a local Fire Dept I was told we were only allowed to run
Blue lights on our vehicles.
I was told tonight that Red lights flashing or revolving were allowed
to the rear of the vehicle.
I guess If I have a Blue light bar on top, and a red flashing light on
the rear deck this is ok???
It just dosen't make any sense. Allowing red and blue to the rear???
Any comments or input on this?

DiGiTaLD

In Indiana, its about what's visible from the front of the vehicle. Red to the rear is technically fine for anybody and everybody. So if you have a blue light on top visible from the front and back, and red visible only from the back, I believe you'd still be within the letter of the law. You might raise some eyebrows, however, if you ran, say, both red and blue rotators or what have you on the rear deck. I'd steer clear of that! ;)

GTO_04

Also, emergency lighting legal requirements are addressed in multiple places in the Indiana Code.

On a related note, there is a bill proposed in the Indiana General Assembly to remove the requirement
that a law enforcement officer be in uniform or driving a marked car to initiate a traffic stop. This will make it easier for a whacker to throw some flashing red/blue lights in the windshield and pull people over to rob/rape them. Are they that desperate to raise cash? Even Ohio doesn't use unmarked cars for traffic enforcement.

Here is the bill info:

http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/...ssion=1&request=getBill&docno=1101&doctype=HB

GTO_04

DiGiTaLD

On a related note, there is a bill proposed in the Indiana General Assembly to remove the requirement
that a law enforcement officer be in uniform or driving a marked car to initiate a traffic stop. This will make it easier for a whacker to throw some flashing red/blue lights in the windshield and pull people over to rob/rape them. Are they that desperate to raise cash? Even Ohio doesn't use unmarked cars for traffic enforcement.
I don't agree with that at all. Its a good check against whackers that LEOs have to either be uniformed or in a fully marked car to make a stop. While it may be a hinderance in some cases like investigations and undercover type work involving busts after surveillance, I think overall it would be best were the uniform or marked car requirement remain.

My 2¢. Guess its time to write the legislators.

brentoli

Deactivated Duplicate Account
Banned
The way our lawyer interpreted the law, is the red to the rear is referencing strobes and/or wig wags in the tail lights.
You might contact your prosecutor, or law enforcement agency before you try it there.

WA9JGB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. I also posted this in another group. Several good responses.
I guess it's just a who you know kind of thing. You would think the Law would be more specific.

ten78

An officer in an unmarked car has to be in uniform to make a traffic stop for a traffic infraction. That same officer can make a stop for an arrestable traffic violation such as misdemeanor reckless driving or DWI.

GTO_04

An officer in an unmarked car has to be in uniform to make a traffic stop for a traffic infraction. That same officer can make a stop for an arrestable traffic violation such as misdemeanor reckless driving or DWI.

Under current law that is correct. HB 1101, if it bcomes law, would eliminate that requirement.

GTO_04

SCPD

QRT

My community forbids unmarked vehicles making stops, which I think makes for good policy, since we've had an imposter last year pulling over people, ragging on them and then sending them on their way.

For an unmarked to make a stop, he must radio dispatch and request a marked cruiser or marked slicktop come and make the initial stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.