• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Red-light Cameras Increase Crashes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firetxmi

I've seen it first hand here in TX.

Nothing like LEGALLY going through an intersection and having bright strobes go off in your face to really scare the hell out of you (and disorient you). Some of the cameras around here seem to strobe all the time whether you ran the light or not.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Still nothing said about the abysmal quality of the 'average' American driver in running red lights that caused this phenomenon anyway.

bpckty1

I still like the way Munich, Bavaria, solved the problem back in the middle of the last century. All lanes had a red light for about 5 seconds when the lights changed from green to red on the crossing traffic's side. It gave the red light runners a safety margin, the police plenty of probable cause to stop the violators, and those waiting for their green light the chance to proceed safely with no fear of being T-Boned.

CLTX11

Firetxmi said:
I've seen it first hand here in TX.

Nothing like LEGALLY going through an intersection and having bright strobes go off in your face to really scare the hell out of you (and disorient you). Some of the cameras around here seem to strobe all the time whether you ran the light or not.
You happen to be talking about a city in N. Texas?

Firetxmi

CLTX11 said:
You happen to be talking about a city in N. Texas?

Sure am! :D

If I remember correctly there was an article I read that stated that the average person ticketed by the camera was actually a safe driver who had never received a moving violation before.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
There is an interesection here in Sacramento County with red light cameras. When I've been stopped at the red light I notice many drivers just cut through the gas station to get through it. While that might not sound dangerous, you'd have to see the obstacle course they drive and speed to get through before the light turns green.

At another intersection, people act like they're making a right turn, then enter (left into) a parking lot, then back out on the street bypassing the light. Cameras are not even seeing it all (nor are LE officers).

ybbmadysu

I have seen some of these that are setup to get more tickets. Throughout the day the timing of green left protected turn changes. sometimes it will allow all the cars to turn, other times only allow 2-3 cars.

And the strobes that come from the cameras, wow. what someone could do is run the red, get all those strobes and hit a pole. sue the county for causing a disorientating situation that led to the accident. dont forget, 'my neck, my back. ouch. dont touch me. get an ambulance. I cant feel my legs."

if some dumbass can spill coffee on herself and sue mc'donalds and win. This will be easy.

45SigSauer

It's all about the money. Law enforcement has become less about protect and serve, and more of a revenue source for the municipalities.

Don_Burke

Longer four way reds will just increase the amount of time the lights will be red when people run them.

The answer is vehicle impoundments.

30 days for third offense, 60 days for the fourth, no license on the fifth.

The strobes just need to be done away with. Bring the technology into the 1990s.

RolnCode3

I don't get it. We have these all over the place and it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Personally, if you can't get through an intersection without crashing because of some flashing lights, I think you should turn your driver's license in, and walk everywhere you go.

bpckty1

RolnCode3 wrote:
" Personally, if you can't get through an intersection without crashing because of some flashing lights, I think you should turn your driver's license in, and walk everywhere you go."

Might work in one of the older cities with established public transportation, but don't try walking very far in Southern or Southwestern towns and cities, unless you have your personal ambulance following you, especially in the months from April to October.
;^>

Status
Not open for further replies.