• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Red Ribbon Campaign - Ribbon put on Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootindwn

With the holiday season upon us and the campaigns for tying ribbons on antennas, I have a question to ask. Has any one heard if tying a piece of material as a ribbon on the two way antenna would cause any sort of issues?
This was rumored and I'd like to put it out there for some feed back. I've never heard of it but thus the reason for the post...
Thanks, and happy holidays.

n5ims

Some of the ribbons have metalic threads in them which may cause issues. I'd say that those that don't wouldn't have any significant issues. I've seen the Jack In The Box antenna balls on several of the local police car antennas for years and am sure if there were any significant issues they'd have been removed.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
A down and dirty test to see if a substance is RF inert. Put it in the micro wave oven 30 secs to a minute. If it gets warm (or sparkles like ribbon with metallic threads) then don't use it around RF, such as insulators, spacers, antenna doo dads. If it stays cool, usually it's OK around RF.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Rode with a few officers and a few of them had the blue ribbons and all tied to the 800mhz Antennas and a few on the Vehicle's VHF antenna.. I guess that could explain a bit of static or communications says 10-9 you were cutting out...

shootindwn

Thanks everyone for your input. The ribbon was put in the microwave and did not get hot, but was still rumoured to cause trouble...hmmm ... maybe it was some thing else and was ribbon labled....

Status
Not open for further replies.