red tape - reflectice tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

Hello
i noticed that on the fire depts in my area, that either on the mikes or the radios themselves has either red tape or red reflective tape? what could this mean?
thank you

MichiganPig

It's just so you can find the radios in case they fall, also to see one another in the smoke.

We do the same thing to all our flash lights, radios, tactical lights. You'll be surprised how many times you can lose your flash light :)

landonjensen

yeah i can guess how many times you drop flashlights, though cant you secure them to your turnout gear?

MichiganPig

True....... I'm not a FF So I'm not exactly sure how secure their equipment is. I know my strap on my radio has come loose on me a few times :(

I don't have tape on my radio, but I know a few of our guys have them on the new 800mhz digital radios.

The only thing I can think of is the more reflective tape you have on, the easier it is for your partners to see you when your inside

trace1

MichiganPig said:
I don't have tape on my radio, but I know a few of our guys have them on the new 800mhz digital radios.

The only thing I can think of is the more reflective tape you have on, the easier it is for your partners to see you when your inside

It might just be possible for that criminal element to "see you" too...

Not trying to start anything here just an observation.

bobmich52

I Myself Prefer To Use the Reflective Yellow Or light Green Tape On My Gear.

Red Is OK, But In A Dark Situation Or Going through A Working Fire, You at Times Cannot see 1 Foot in Front Of You.

The lighter/Brighter The tape, The Better To See Where Your gear is Etc

Grivo

trace1 said:

I have a 1/2" strip of red reflective on my flashlight and radio. I'm much more concerned about being hit by a car while on a traffic stop than being seen by a suspect during some uber-tactical situation that may never happen.

The tape also helps me distinguish my gear from others' should something get dropped. One side benefit is that on dash video someone can see that my flashlight is NOT the one hitting the suspect in the dogpile. ;)

Grivo

bobmich52 said:
[Moderator removed quote]

You're wrapped a little tight, aren't you pal? Take a Midol and chill while I explain where I am coming from.
In my area we are having a problem with people accusing officers of things they didn't do because they've misidentified them, i.e. right incident wrong officer. I like to make sure I am properly identified so nobody can blame me for something I didn't do but mostly the red tape is so I don't get hit by a car, that's all.

Perhaps I am just a wannabe. Today I'm a cop, tomorrow an astronaut and so forth.

ps.....I've changed my mind and now I want to be a pirate so I've hoisted the Jolly Roger on the Scantenna. Ahoy....I hear Blackbeard has gone digital, what be his new frequency? Arrrrrrrr!

Last edited by a moderator:

Alarms50

It could be to differentiate the Fireground radio from the Dispatch radio, or VHF vs UHF radio, etc. When you have two radios of the same brand and model it makes it easier to tell which is which if one of them has a label (i.e. tape).

MichiganPig

trace1 said:

Good Point, but depending on the color of tape you use and knowing how dumb "MOST" of the criminal element are I'll take my chances

Like the other guys said, I'm more concerned with being seen at night on traffic stops then anything else. Especially working a PI scene where nobody seems to notice the officer trying to give directions, I don't blame them, i would like to see what is going on too if I wasn't working I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.