Red Willow Enters E911 Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Red Willow entered Phase II of E911 early this week. They only mentioned how Alltel and Western Wireless worked so far, never any mention of further cell phone carriers.

http://www.mccookgazette.com/story/1161321.html

I wonder how many dispatch centers would be able to dispatch a fire or rescue call if you gave them nothing more than your exact GPS coordinates?

SCPD

QRT
NeFire242 said:
Red Willow entered Phase II of E911 early this week. They only mentioned how Alltel and Western Wireless worked so far, never any mention of further cell phone carriers.
Sprint and nextell no service out there. Here in Omaha I believe they are the only ones that the call taker can pinpoint the callers location. All other prividers the call taker only gets the cell tower location.
It all depends on the company. You won't see verison beable to do that soon they charge the 911 provider for this service.

NeFire242 said:
I wonder how many dispatch centers would be able to dispatch a fire or rescue call if you gave them nothing more than your exact GPS coordinates?
Not for a long time if at all.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
That is what I was wondering about with all the new phases and upgrades in technology and with as many things that spit out GPS coordinates or take them if there was a dispatch center that had the ability to generate a call based on GPS coordinates. This seems like it would be rather easy with many counties and their GIS mapping systems.

twister19

Currently the LEC Communications in Cass has E-911 Phase II with Alltel, I have seen it in action. Really sweet system they have seet up, however a lot of people around here dont have Alltel cellular devices so it is almost useless for the most part. Now there is also the downfall that not the entire county is set up on the E-911 Phase II. From what I understand Iowa makes it a requirement for all cell providers to provide the technology to enable state wide Phase II. So, if you were near the river, Cass will get your position in seconds, but if you were over by Weeping Water or I guess even Murray and Nehawka you are toast if you dont know your position.

As far as the GPS corrdinate, we use those a lot for damage reports and weather reports to the NWS and FEMA. There is also the map on the computer screen that shows roads and intersections and addresses of places so if a caller were to not know the location or if they were to hang up and we nailed the position then we could relay a nearby intersction to the apporpriate people.

Status
Not open for further replies.