Redding Area Best Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoutcamper

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

i have been saving up for a scanner for a while now, finally have enough cash for one, so debating between 2 scanners, looking for input on performance based on the area(and features).

Edit: to clarify, this is my FIRST scanner. Long time HAM, SDR and linux enthusiast.

Pro-197. Found on amazon for $250, doesnt do GPS(i travel a lot) but seems to be pretty popular.

Home-Patrol-1. Does GPS, does not do phase II(is this soon to be an issue?), some people have reception problems?

Use: primarily will be used around town, in the office, and at home(yes, one scanner, 3 locations, ideally battery powered for portable use, but i can make my own battery pack, not a show stopper).

I do travel from Redding to Yreka and Redding to sacramento regularly, as well as the occasional long distance runs with the toy hauler.

I am not worried about programming, no big deal either way.

Thoughts? Any input?

Thanks in advance,
Matthew
KJ6JXZ

Last edited:

scoutcamper

Premium Subscriber
The other option i have been looking at is the 996XT, Anyone who can give some input it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

scoutcamper

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, i have been looking at the 436, only real issue/annoyance is that it does not have on board GPS, but i do have a NMEA gps already, so i can work around that. Kind of hoping the price comes down on it, but with no real competition in this area, uniden has no reason to drop the price.

Interested to see what anyone else thinks, but this is looking good to me so far.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Redding

Pro-197. Found on amazon for $250, doesnt do GPS(i travel a lot) but seems to be pretty popular.
That's a good price for a digital scanner. Yes you could buy one of the newer models, but not with that kind of bargain.

When I travel to non-digital areas such as Redding, I primarily use a PSR-310. I like the bigger display (font), white backlight, and object-oriented programming. The PRO-197 is a digital "base" model whereas the PSR-310 is an analog hand-held model. I write this to show the large difference between what you need and what you're considering. Again, the '197 is a great deal.

scoutcamper

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, i want a base(internal struggle there) for now, will likely add a handheld after, thus i would ideally keep the same brand for both handheld and base, although not 100% required.
I do want a digital unit as i go to sacramento regularly and they are digital, and several agencies in redding are prepping for P25 as well, figure spend $$ once.

996XT/396XT seem like a good pair. I am really liking the GPS feature, but the Pro-197/Pro-106 seem like a good pair too.

Right now i am chasing 996XT deals(radio shack blowout) and if i can get one of those on the cheap i will, otherwise i think i will simply pick up a pro-197.

Tough decisions, i know :p

scoutcamper

Premium Subscriber
Welp, i found a brand new 996xt at santa clara radio shack for $124.99, so i asked my dad who works fown there to pick it up for me. I now have a 996xt scanner, it will be in my hands tommorow night :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

scoutcamper

Premium Subscriber
Do they have any more? I will be up that was on the 25 to walk through Levi's Stadium?

Santa clara only had the one. As of yesterday there was still one at EmmeryVille Radio shack and one at Pinole Radio Shack.

Be aware that all stores have a different clearance price, so call ahead for an accurate price

Status
Not open for further replies.