redstone arsenal setup on GRE PSR-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvholland

I'm a new owner of a GRE PSR-500 and have setup to monitor much of the surrounding area without much trouble until today when I thought I'd try to enter the info for Redstone Arsenal.

The DB indicates "System Voice: Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface" and I thought it would be interesting to see how a P-25 systems plays out.

I am using Win500 to program the scanner.

I entered a TSYS and entered the three freq's listed as the CC's. I've entered a custom trunking table with
LO Chan = 380
HI Chan = 759
Offset = 380
Base Freq = 406.2375
Step = 12.5

I've also entered a wildcard talkgroup to catch anything that comes up for now.

My problem is understanding the proper system type to set the TSYS to. My initial setting was P25 Manual. Placing the system in MAN mode and going to the TSYS > Analyze indicated no control channel decoding. I note that I also didn't see the "T" indicating trunking info being decoded.

I have since changed the system type "MOT VHF/UHF". I now see "T" indication and when going into the Analyze menu along with the correct System ID of "A41B" and good decode percentage.

While sitting here composing this post I've actually had three or four talkgroup hits, TGID 3632 & 8016 along with digital voice decode.

Seems like I have it setup in a workable mode now but this isn't exactly how I thought it would go.

Anyone have any idea when you'd used a P25 Auto or P25 Manual setup as compared to how I wound up with this setup?

CORN

Premium Subscriber
The only time you use the P25 Auto selection is for a "pure" (9600 baud) P25 system. Redstone has both digital and analog (so says the database) plus its a it says it's a Motorola Type II Smartzone system. Even though most TG's are P25, some could possibly analog. But either way here's how mine is set up. Actually it was a PSR-600 (the PSR-500's desktop cousin) in the truck and i picked up Redstone just fine.

Set it to the MOT UHF/VHF like you currently have it. Now here comes the kicker: The PSR-500 (as well as the 600) has to have TWO sets of parameters for it to trunk properly. I've come across a formula that might be the way to set them for all 400MHz systems. The base freqs though for each individual 400MHz system would be different. Here's my setup. BTW, i do my programming manually as opposed to the software way and works just fine.

For the PSR-500/600

Custom Table
----------------------------------
First set of parameters:

#1:
Base Freq (Low): 406.2375
Lo Ch: 380
Hi Ch: 758
Offset: 380
Step: 12.5

Second set of parameters:

#2:
Base Freq (High): 409.1
Lo Ch: 759
Hi Ch: 759
Offset: 759
Step: 12.5

It should work this way. And i use the same formula as above for all the 400MHz systems i've been able to check out (Tyndall AFB, Wright-Patterson AFB, and Redstone Arsenal) and they've all trunked properly. Like i said, the base freqs will differ but the rest remains the same. And FYI, when you do have a "pure" P25 system you use the P25 Auto only. I've been told not to use the P25 Man for one reason or the other. Not sure really of the reasons. So i've never used it. Hope this helped. Good luck.

rvholland

Thanks for the reply Joe. I found another post later that stated the same kind of explanation about when a P25 Auto system type is used.

I have the first set of trunking table data only, nothing like your second set is entered. I don't believe I'm missing any transmisions at least that I can tell. I do see occasional stops on a TG and hear no audio but I've been chalking that up to just catching the tail end of a transmission.

Might you have a explanation as to what that second table entry is doing?

Of course for me Redstone is the only such system like this I'm monitoring and it may be something related to the other locations you mentioned that causes that need.

I seem to have reasonable reception at home and my work location is just a mile or so from the north side of the Arsenal so great reception there. I was really surprised at the amount of activity on that system.

I've noted around a dozen or so talk groups not listed in the database. A good portion of these appear to be maintenance or some type of support services. Several of the other unlisted TG's appear to be similar to that listed as Talk Around 1 in the database with range clearing, countdowns, firing announcements and such.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Keep an eye on your radio catching on a talkgroup with no voice. See how long the TG stays "stuck" from the time you first see it appear. It's been my experience with any system if the radio isn't set up properly those kind of symptoms appear. I'm not implying it's not working i was going by the instructions on the Gre website.

How to add Custom Table when entering a Motorola UHF trunking system - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite

I travel a lot to various airshows and a lot of them happen to be on military bases or in the areas i frequent i like to monitor the base's TRS so thats why i have an interest and some experience with those systems. The best military TRS's (and any TRS for that matter) are the "pure" P25 systems where all you have to do is set it to P25 auto and just plug in the freqs. Keep us informed on your Redstone endeavors. Your lucky to live near such a TRS. I wish i did.

rvholland

After monitoring this system for a while I've run across quite a few other talkgroups as follows.

TG 3472, 3504, 3536, 3568, 3696, 4272, 4944, 5232 - appear to be more Maintenance TG's similar to 3632 in DB

TG 8880, 9296, 9360, 10512 - appear to be additional "talk around" TG's similar to Redstone TA1 (TG 8752)

TG 9424 is listed in DB as unidentified but ID's as TA6 and carries similar traffic as TA1

TG 10864 appears to airfield operations related to vehicle movements on runway and such

TG 1584 - NASA E911 Emergency channel, voice stated "you've activeated the NASA E911 Emergency channel, what is your emergency?" there was no answer but a few minutes later a maintenance TG dispatcher called an individual who stated they accidentally hit their emergency button.

The four FTACx groups have all been digital voice when I copied traffic on them.

I've also observed three additional freq's carrying traffic, 409.2750, 407.4375, 408.0875.

Status
Not open for further replies.