Reduced N9JIG Shack for February 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Having retired from sales and support of scanners I have drastically reduced my shack. Since I no longer need to have radios around to be able to support them the ones I have are only for my enjoyment. In addition I no longer need a whole bunch of scanners for searching local systems, after 7 years here I have a pretty good read on the local stuff. I have sold off a boatload of my older scanners, retaining a couple for possible future use.

Below you can see the desktop radios and the back shelf as well as the patch panel. There is usually a file cabinet in front of the patch panel, I moved it aside to show the panel.

Radios1.jpeg

Now, instead of the 30 plus scanners I had before I have a reduced set.

Desktop Cabinet:
3 BCD536HP's
BCD996P2
SDS200
HP1 and an HP2
Icom R8500
Icom IC-705 HF/V/U rig
Rack1.jpeg

Back shelf:
Kenwood TX880 (GMRS)
TYT MD-9600
SDS100
BCD436HP
Several other HH's.
Short1.jpeg

The Patch panel has been modified as well. I flipped it over to allow me to re-label it. I might replace it with a new one down the road. I standardized on N-connectors for the most part, with a few SO239's for HF. The remaining connectors are unused. I had replaced all my coax runs with extra-low-loss coax and several new antennas. Antennas in the attic include:

Omni-X
ST-2
D130-NJ
SkyBand Discone
2 Diamond Dual Banders
UHF and 800 MHz commercial Antennas
DPD ADSB antenna
10m and 20m wire dipoles.

With the 705 only having a single antenna input I use an A-D 4-port antenna switch to support it.

The rest of the office remains pretty much the same as before. The main computer is currently a Mac Mini (soon to be replaced with a M1Max MacBook Pro). Using 2 32-inch monitors I have plenty of screen real estate. The desk itself is an Uplift standing L-shaped desk. It is on casters so I can move it around and is pretty much all self-contained.. There is a single power cable and there is a bundle going to the back shelf for networking and a couple antennas.

Desk1.jpeg

There are 2 55-inch TV/monitors on the wall that can be used for several things. Mostly they are connected to AppleTV's and monitor rail, harbor or airport cameras but can also be used with a NUC or another Mac Mini or Roku.
Monitor1.jpeg

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Looks great, as usual! The scanner retail market has lost a great source of knowledge from the support world with your retirement, Rich, but it's well-deserved! Congrats on that. I trust you'll still be around in the forums here, helping those who need help with their scanners or radios...maybe a little, at least. Definitely enjoy the retirement.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Having retired from sales and support of scanners I have drastically reduced my shack. Since I no longer need to have radios around to be able to support them the ones I have are only for my enjoyment. In addition I no longer need a whole bunch of scanners for searching local systems, after 7 years here I have a pretty good read on the local stuff. I have sold off a boatload of my older scanners, retaining a couple for possible future use.

Below you can see the desktop radios and the back shelf as well as the patch panel. There is usually a file cabinet in front of the patch panel, I moved it aside to show the panel.

View attachment 117304

Now, instead of the 30 plus scanners I had before I have a reduced set.

Desktop Cabinet:
3 BCD536HP's
BCD996P2
SDS200
HP1 and an HP2
Icom R8500
Icom IC-705 HF/V/U rig

What happened to the three-bay desktop cabinet with the ham stuff in it? That was just new last year, if I recall correctly.

N9JIG

Sheriff
What happened to the three-bay desktop cabinet with the ham stuff in it? That was just new last year, if I recall correctly.
I still have that in the garage awaiting reuse by myself or the kid. I was worried that it, with all the radios and power supplies etc., was too heavy for the standing desk I was using it on. If I get a sturdier desk I might use it again.

Don't hate me but after a day or two I decided to relocate the radios to a smaller desk behind me to reduce the wire bundle to the computer desk.

IMG_5874.jpeg

This also allowed me to have a convenient place for the Windows "NUC" computer as my current Intel Mini will be replaced soon by a new M1 MacBook Pro. While it will work with Windows it is kind of a bear to make and keep it going with the Windows Insider Program, basically a beta test program. It is constantly being pushed upgrades, reports much more data than normal and other nonsense.

Since I really don't need Windows every day anymore I can keep my new Mac free of Windows and just fire up the NUC when needed.

Kfred

Nice "shack". I have been looking at the IC-705 to use as an HF receiver, Is it easy to use and how does it perform ?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Nice "shack". I have been looking at the IC-705 to use as an HF receiver, Is it easy to use and how does it perform ?
I like it. It is the first brand new HF rig I have owned and I really like the spectrum display. It seems just as capable as my IC-746Pro.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Mmmh love those Home Patrols. They look so nice sitting there. Really gives me a big nostalgia seeing them again, specially the silver one. Really takes me back to good times :3

Status
Not open for further replies.