• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Reducing Feedback from RSMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatherpierce

Does anyone know what the best way to reduce feedback when using multiple radios with RSMs in close quarters, specifically for firefighting? Is there a good hardware or software solution? We use HT1250s and it is a real problem.

NorCalrescue

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what the best way to reduce feedback when using multiple radios with RSMs in close quarters, specifically for firefighting? Is there a good hardware or software solution? We use HT1250s and it is a real problem.

Go into the external mic settings in the CPS. Reduce the gain to between -3 and -12 and experiment what setting works best for you. I have ours set all at -3. Also you can reduce your treble settings. That seems to help. Turn off AGC.

Hope that helps. It worked for us. There's a great video tutorial on MOL also.

com501

HT1250 settings, factory default is 28.5 and 25.5

Set those to somewhere around 21.0 for both internal mike and RSM. Start there, try that, and reduce from there. It may require that you train your users to actually speak INTO the microphone.

There are also some newer speaker mikes that employ WindPort technology for noise cancelling. Check with your dealer.

fdscan

This tends to be an issue when inside vehicles... Especially in the fire service from what I understand.

When you have a truck loaded with about 5 guys with speaker mics with the volume jacked up and a big mobile radio speaker it tends to cause a lot of issues.

com501

This tends to be an issue when inside vehicles... Especially in the fire service from what I understand.

When you have a truck loaded with about 5 guys with speaker mics with the volume jacked up and a big mobile radio speaker it tends to cause a lot of issues.

Everyone in the apparatus should be on headset. Every handheld should be off until arrival on scene. The operator and front seat passenger should be the only ones operating the radio, and they should both be using noise cancelling headsets.

Inside the cab there should be no feedback. If there is, train the crew.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Everyone in the apparatus should be on headset. Every handheld should be off until arrival on scene. The operator and front seat passenger should be the only ones operating the radio, and they should both be using noise cancelling headsets.

Inside the cab there should be no feedback. If there is, train the crew.

I wish that was the case. Training cannot help our department cuase not one of our trucks have headsets....to think about it i dont knwo of a FD in my county that has headsets in the trucks. Not saying they shouldn't but our limited funds do not pay for that stuff....

sfd119

None of our departments in multiple counties have headsets. Comes down to funding.

com501

Wow. I have to get out more. Every podunk fire department out west has headsets. Its all grant money.

sfd119

Yeah, even some of our career depts don't. I know there's at least 5 counties I can think of off the top of my head that no fire depts have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.