Reecom R1650 Firmware Bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwh367

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with the Reecom R1650 not resetting after 2 back to back alerts. If it receives only 1 alert at a time, it works fine. Yesterday it went off for a watch, immediately followed by a warning (I had my portable RS weather radio with me which works flawlessly) and it was still squawking when I got home from work this morning. I had to press the "stop" button (as usual) to get it to shut up. This has happened many times before and Reecom refuses to even look at it. Maybe if there other people with the same trouble, they will finally take it seriously.

Last edited:

dwh367

Yes, I've only had back to back alerts once like that, but I noticed that it did not turn off.

Thanks for the reply. It's nice to see that my unit isn't the only one with that particular fault. Tried talking with them again today and they once again denied that any of their units has ever had a problem and refused to let me send it back to them. Just finished filing a complaint with BBB. I will summarize the entire experience with 2 words. Buyer Beware.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thanks for the reply. It's nice to see that my unit isn't the only one with that particular fault. Tried talking with them again today and they once again denied that any of their units has ever had a problem and refused to let me send it back to them. Just finished filing a complaint with BBB. I will summarize the entire experience with 2 words. Buyer Beware.
Why don't you file a complaint with the FCC or the CPSC? The BBB isn't going to care, nor is Reecom.

dwh367

Why don't you file a complaint with the FCC or the CPSC? The BBB isn't going to care, nor is Reecom.

I thought about it but since it does actually alert (just doesn't reset sometimes) I kind of doubt if they'll do anything about it since the alerting itself is the primary function of the radio. I appreciate your suggestions though.

dwntwn317

I am having what I think is an issue with mine. Reecom states that their radio provides a countdown clock, and it sounds like NWS sends out an "effective time" stamp with the signals. Well, my 1650 never has continued to display the full watch cycle. Example: Indy NWS issues a thunderstorm or tornado watch for four, six, ten, whatever hours. My radio goes off _once_. Now, the LED will flash, and the display will spell out the watch type, but as soon as I hit the button to acknowledge the alert, the countdown clock puts anywhere from 15 mins. to 45 mins. on it. So the LED goes off, and the alert text goes away, and you would never know we were still under a watch unless you made sure to _listen_ to the broadcast.

I am wondering if any other weather radios handle multi-hour watches the same way? Or, do some radios keep the LED(s) lit and the text displayed until the watch is _really_ over?

jpw1298

Reecom 1650 Countdown Clock and LEDs

I am having what I think is an issue with mine. Reecom states that their radio provides a countdown clock, and it sounds like NWS sends out an "effective time" stamp with the signals. Well, my 1650 never has continued to display the full watch cycle. Example: Indy NWS issues a thunderstorm or tornado watch for four, six, ten, whatever hours. My radio goes off _once_. Now, the LED will flash, and the display will spell out the watch type, but as soon as I hit the button to acknowledge the alert, the countdown clock puts anywhere from 15 mins. to 45 mins. on it. So the LED goes off, and the alert text goes away, and you would never know we were still under a watch unless you made sure to _listen_ to the broadcast.

I am wondering if any other weather radios handle multi-hour watches the same way? Or, do some radios keep the LED(s) lit and the text displayed until the watch is _really_ over?

My 1650 LEDs change from flashing to solid ON, if I acknowledge it. The radio stores the appropriate LED for the last 25 alerts with the remaining time (or "OFF" if expired), in the order received. Access via Memory button, scroll with Arrow buttons.

gpon863

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with the Reecom R1650 not resetting after 2 back to back alerts. If it receives only 1 alert at a time, it works fine. Yesterday it went off for a watch, immediately followed by a warning (I had my portable RS weather radio with me which works flawlessly) and it was still squawking when I got home from work this morning. I had to press the "stop" button (as usual) to get it to shut up. This has happened many times before and Reecom refuses to even look at it. Maybe if there other people with the same trouble, they will finally take it seriously.

I have Reecom's radio R-1650 which is working fine as to what Reecom said about the EOM, although it is not clearly stated out in the user's manual. After understanding the EOM operations, I don't think Reecom R-1650 is with firmware bugs. The difference is between the 'NOT RESET' (as claim firmware bug) and the 'RETURN TO THE PREVIOUS STATE' (as the intended radio opeartion). Reecom gives a few good examples to demonstarte the EOM operation in real situations. The link below is for the detail EOM features and operations.

Reecom

In the above link, a good example is also given out in the case of 'back to back' alerts.

dampier

Feed Provider
Typically, with my Reecom unit, back to back warnings do not silence the radio in between alerts because there is always a three second pause after the final EOM signal is sent before the audio mutes. My unit never instantly responds to the first EOM... it waits for the sequence to complete.

I have run into problems when our local weather radio sends out an EOM the radio doesn't recognize (about 20 percent of the time), leaving the audio on. But I suspect the station more than the radio. When an intern does the Wednesday 11am test, at least half the time they screw up the EOM. Only this time the radio signal goes silent (the Reecom audio is still active though). After about 10 seconds of silence, the transmitter automatically shuts off and apparently recycles, returning to the air after a minute or two, but not before you are treated to the blast of white noise from a dead frequency.

We have four active weather radios here - one in the bedroom (a Radio Shack that does recognize EOM), one in the guest room (a cheapo Midland that does not have an alert tone but merely opens the audio when an alert comes through -- it also recognizes EOM), a newer Midland I use to feed KHA-53 for 24/7 streaming on Weather Underground, which does not recognize EOM but mutes after five minutes, and the Reecom.

Of all of these Reecom is by far the best and I highly recommend them, even though they cost more. Don't bother with the AM/FM unit though -- the audio from the speaker is obviously designed for the limited bandwidth NOAA signal, not broadcast radio. The Reecom's varying audio alert tones which help you distinguish between a test, a watch and a warning are very helpful, the audio is the loudest and clearest of all of my weather radios, and although I wish the radio responded immediately on hearing the first EOM, it's a minor issue for me overall.

My pet peeve are radios that ignore the EOM standard altogether. How hard could it be to program a radio to open the audio during an alert, and mute it when it completes with an EOM signal. A five minute timeout can be a real nuisance if you are in bed, get an alert for a watch and then lay there waiting for the darn thing to mute.

Status
Not open for further replies.