Reecom R1650 radio issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwntwn317

I have a Reecom R1650. It seems to always get alerts. Today at 3:48PM, the NWS in Indy put out a severe thunder watch. The watch is set to expire at 10PM. My radio is set to not give an audible alert on this sort of event. I go into the bedroom, eventually, and see the LED flashing with message displayed. My problem is as follows:
I have always watched the news, so I have never paid that much attention to the effective time. I think this has been a mistake. I have never recalled any watch "effective time" (this is also a countdown timer as well) to be anywhere close to what it should be. The display reads in HH:MM, which means there is plenty of time to hold the LED on, plus display the watch, for the full time the watch is in effect. Using today's example, the countdown timer _should_ have displayed 06:12, since the watch was in effect for 6 hours, 12 mins. after the first watch was issued. Since I keep forgetting on looking at the countdown timer, I don't know what it said, but I just checked it around 9PM, the watch is _still_ in effect till 10PM, and low and behold, the LED is off, and there is no watch message. The watch message is in the saved bank of messages, and since, according to my radio, time has expired, I can't go back and check what countdown time frame was given to this watch.

My main concern is this: If multi-hour long watches are only given a time from on my radio for say 30 mins, or 45 mins., this is a safety issue. If I am out and about, and I come home two hours after a watch has been issued, I can only assume my radio won't be displaying anything, though it should. I will say that there have been times when we have been out, and come home to the radio flashing the LED and displaying the message, but I am not sure why it won't keep the LED and message displayed for the full duration of the warning.

Is anyone else having this issue? Those with other brand radios: If the NWS in your area issues say a six hour Severe Thunderstorm Watch, does your LEDs and message display for the full six hours?

Thanks!

dwh367

To the best of my knowledge, the longest that the NWS will set an active alert for, on the weather radios, is 6 hours. The alert itself may extend longer than that, but the weather radios will no longer display it after that period of time has elapsed, unless they decide to reissue it.

To help troubleshoot, you might want to enable the watch alerts so that you know when it is issued and then listen for the time it is supposed to expire and then kind of go from there. The only problem I've had with mine is the non reset issue from time to time although yours could have a problem as well. If it does, it would be interesting to see if they give you the same run around as they did me.

dwntwn317

To the best of my knowledge, the longest that the NWS will set an active alert for, on the weather radios, is 6 hours. The alert itself may extend longer than that, but the weather radios will no longer display it after that period of time has elapsed, unless they decide to reissue it.

To help troubleshoot, you might want to enable the watch alerts so that you know when it is issued and then listen for the time it is supposed to expire and then kind of go from there. The only problem I've had with mine is the non reset issue from time to time although yours could have a problem as well. If it does, it would be interesting to see if they give you the same run around as they did me.

Well, the watch was issued after I got home. The LED and message display were not active when I got home. The effective time of the watch was just over six hours, so I would think that if you offer an event expiration countdown clock, it would max out at the six hour mark. Mine didn't. I went back into my bedroom, saw the LED flashing and the message being displayed. I hit the radio button, mostly to get the LED to go solid and stop flashing (I call it acknowledging the notification). Within an hour of a 6+ hour watch, the LED is off, and the message is back to the date/time. If one who wasn't aware had seen the radio then, and they didn't watch the news, they would have no clue we were under a t-storm watch.

Well, we will likely be getting a watch/warning today. I also have a scanner that has SAME alerts and I am going to get it up and going. I do believe that there are times when the NWS reissues these watches and warnings, and I don't think my Reecom is getting those either. It seems to only get a new event if the event is different from the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.