ref gre/psr500/rs/pro106/uniden/bcd396xt what's your pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwolf

Premium Subscriber
well i have narrow'd my search down to 3 types of scanners i would like everyones opinion on these 3 type of scanners why is it so hard to choose from these 3 types of scanners :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The psr500 and pro-106 without a doubt!

n9zas

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
The PSR-500 and PRO-106 are the same scanner! There are two main differences, first is cosmetic - the button layout is different but all the same keys are there. Second is the firmware, Radio Shack gets a custom firmware for some reason. Nothing noticeable, they both operate exactly the same, but it does mean you can't use a GRE update on a PRO scanner you have to wait for Radio Shack to post the updates on their website.

I have a GRE (PSR-600) and both PRO-106 and PRO-197, like them all just fine. The reason I wound up with the PROs is they were a lot easier to get hold of (local store vs mail order) and I managed to pick them up during a sale that made them a lot cheaper than the GREs. Otherwise I'd probably have just ordered the GREs since then I'd be getting updates direct from the manufacturer, rather than waiting on RS. Last time I updated mine, RS posted the latest files quickly but that was some time ago so can't say how they're doing now.

Can't say anything about the Uniden, haven't used one.

gewecke

Banned
The PSR-500 and PRO-106 are the same scanner! There are two main differences, first is cosmetic - the button layout is different but all the same keys are there. Second is the firmware, Radio Shack gets a custom firmware for some reason. Nothing noticeable, they both operate exactly the same, but it does mean you can't use a GRE update on a PRO scanner you have to wait for Radio Shack to post the updates on their website.

I have a GRE (PSR-600) and both PRO-106 and PRO-197, like them all just fine. The reason I wound up with the PROs is they were a lot easier to get hold of (local store vs mail order) and I managed to pick them up during a sale that made them a lot cheaper than the GREs. Otherwise I'd probably have just ordered the GREs since then I'd be getting updates direct from the manufacturer, rather than waiting on RS. Last time I updated mine, RS posted the latest files quickly but that was some time ago so can't say how they're doing now.

Can't say anything about the Uniden, haven't used one.

Very much aware that they are the same, that's why I said I would choose either. :wink:

gewecke

Banned
why not the uniden 396xt ?

Many users of the uniden claim audio issues with the 396xt when listening to P25 systems, and a local ff I know has one and tells me the same is true with his. I have a pro-106 and 197 and they both are nearly flawless. :)
However I do like the size of the 396xt.

n9zas

ve5wil

Feed Provider
Just to be different, I like the unidens. I have both the 396XT and 996XT and have had no problems monitoring the saskatchewan PPSTN (P25) system. The audio is nice and clear most times ( occasionally sound as if the users are underwater or a echo) but very few and far between instances. - if interested, I broadcast the PPSTN towers in my area using the 996XT.

darkwolf

Premium Subscriber
all info is very helpful just wish i could find some here in oklahoma city that sells scanners

sphipps

My PRO-106 does a fine job keeping track of communications around my home area... namely SW MO to Tulsa along I-44. I especially like it because I got an awesome deal at a pawn shop.

sphipps

Call a few pawn shops around OKC and ask them to read off model numbers and prices of scanners that they have in stock. Most pawn shops know very little about scanners and especially don't know the difference between analog and digital, so you can sometimes find good deals on digital models.

Lots of people who know little about the hobby buy PRO-106's at their local Radio Shacks... get frustrated trying to use and program them... and end up selling them to pawn shops for whatever they can get.

sphipps

No problem! Most pawn shops base their asking prices around Ebay average selling prices. You never want to pay their asking prices. I always offer around 50% of what they're asking. They will usually "settle" around their cost + 30%. That's what you want to pay.

One guy in these forums found his PRO-106 in a pawn shop for $90. Mine wasn't that cheap... but still significantly less than what they normally sell used.

Also... you won't get a warranty... but if it looks nice, works well, and is cheap enough... I wouldn't sweat it.

thats an idea thanks sphipps

darkwolf

Premium Subscriber
that i can understand sphipps would be be nice if i could get all 3 for that price

darkwolf

Premium Subscriber
Many users of the uniden claim audio issues with the 396xt when listening to P25 systems, and a local ff I know has one and tells me the same is true with his. I have a pro-106 and 197 and they both are nearly flawless. :)
However I do like the size of the 396xt.

n9zas

thanks for the info 73 out

gewecke

Banned
Darkwolf check your pm's. :wink:
I sent you a link for something you may want to check on.

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.