Reflector via dstar repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

khooke

Looking into getting a dstar radio and have a question about connecting to reflectors.

Initially I thought connecting to a reflector via a repeater was different to other repeater linking, irlp etc, but if I understand correct, a dstar repeater that is linked to a reflector is linked for all users of the repeater, so everything you transmit via the repeater goes to the reflector, and reflector traffic is retransmitted by the repeater too. Is this correct?

So if I'm interested in using a particular reflector but it's not the one that the reflector is currently linked to, if I follow the instructions to change the linking, then this changes it for everyone else on the repeater too, is this correct? What's the correct procedure for changing the reflector? Do you announce on the repeater that you want to change and if no-one objects, make the change? I'm wondering this because it seems if I'm just monitoring the repeater for the reflector traffic but not transmitting, I imagine I wouldn't want someone else to come in and change the connected reflector at random? How is this usually handled?

If I find another repeater that's connected to the reflector I'm interested in accessing, is it possible to connect to this other repeater via my local repeater so I can receive and transmit to this other reflector? And does this approach impact anyone else on my local repeater?

Thanks! Kevin KK6DCT

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
D-Star Reflectors

A few notes inline below....I am no authority, but I am enjoying D-Star....
Looking into getting a dstar radio and have a question about connecting to reflectors.

Initially I thought connecting to a reflector via a repeater was different to other repeater linking, irlp etc, but if I understand correct, a dstar repeater that is linked to a reflector is linked for all users of the repeater, so everything you transmit via the repeater goes to the reflector, and reflector traffic is retransmitted by the repeater too. Is this correct?

Yes; correct.

So if I'm interested in using a particular reflector but it's not the one that the reflector is currently linked to, if I follow the instructions to change the linking, then this changes it for everyone else on the repeater too, is this correct?

Yes; correct.

What's the correct procedure for changing the reflector? Do you announce on the repeater that you want to change and if no-one objects, make the change? I'm wondering this because it seems if I'm just monitoring the repeater for the reflector traffic but not transmitting, I imagine I wouldn't want someone else to come in and change the connected reflector at random? How is this usually handled?

Generally, in my experience, you just change it and re-link it back when done. I have used some repeaters where the operator has an expectation that it always be linked to a given reflector, but many of us active in D-Satr believe that is B.S. and undermines the coolest advantages of D-Star linking to reflectors or repeaters....

If I find another repeater that's connected to the reflector I'm interested in accessing, is it possible to connect to this other repeater via my local repeater so I can receive and transmit to this other reflector? And does this approach impact anyone else on my local repeater?

That would be less than ideal as you would be tying up (using) TWO repeaters to get to a reflector you want to use. I'd suggest you look into a DVAP may be- that's a great way to be able to hit reflectors when you are not mobile without tying up a repeater.​

Thanks! Kevin KK6DCT

khooke

Thanks for the info, I've got a better understanding of how things work now. I wasn't initially considering a dvap or dongle, so I'll take a look at them too.

Thanks!

CommJunkie

Basically, you are correct. I have rarely heard anyone complain about a reflector being (dis)connected in my area. Especially if no one is using it.

LtDoc

First question:
There may/may-not be a particular 'tone' to be able to get access to a 'reflector'. Just depends on how elaborate the repeater is set up, doesn't matter is it's 'D-Star' or not. If you can produce the required 'tone' then you're out of luck. You might be able to change 'reflectors' if that repeater is set-up to do so. Ask the owner, otherwise, you're on your own.
So if you can change 'reflectors', then everyone using the repeater ('D-Star' or other wise) is going to be on the one you access? Yep. Unless the controller is 'sophisticated' enough to distinguish the difference in control tones and therefore compensate. Good luck with that!
Sorry, 'D-star' is muchly over-rated and muchly misunderstood. It just ain't a 'cure-all' that will do everything, it's only 'VOIP' in a particular format.
Have fun...
- 'Doc

Ready for a 'rant'??
The only 'good' part of using 'D-Star' is that it is 'digital' so requires less band-width. It does NOT allow -more- repeaters on the band. It certainly makes the -possibility- greater, but there's a 'penalty' for that, ain't nothing free, it's gonna cost more for -everybody-. Better utilizing the existing repeaters is a much better idea. If there are a number of repeaters already there, why in the world would I want my -own- except for gratification or 'status'? See where that's going? Sorry, 2 meters is just not that crowded if it's used correctly.

Last edited:

khooke

First question:
There may/may-not be a particular 'tone' to be able to get access to a 'reflector'. Just depends on how elaborate the repeater is set up, doesn't matter is it's 'D-Star' or not. If you can produce the required 'tone' then you're out of luck. You might be able to change 'reflectors' if that repeater is set-up to do so. Ask the owner, otherwise, you're on your own.
So if you can change 'reflectors', then everyone using the repeater ('D-Star' or other wise) is going to be on the one you access? Yep. Unless the controller is 'sophisticated' enough to distinguish the difference in control tones and therefore compensate. Good luck with that!
Sorry, 'D-star' is muchly over-rated and muchly misunderstood. It just ain't a 'cure-all' that will do everything, it's only 'VOIP' in a particular format.
Have fun...
- 'Doc

Ready for a 'rant'??
The only 'good' part of using 'D-Star' is that it is 'digital' so requires less band-width. It does NOT allow -more- repeaters on the band. It certainly makes the -possibility- greater, but there's a 'penalty' for that, ain't nothing free, it's gonna cost more for -everybody-. Better utilizing the existing repeaters is a much better idea. If there are a number of repeaters already there, why in the world would I want my -own- except for gratification or 'status'? See where that's going? Sorry, 2 meters is just not that crowded if it's used correctly.
Thanks for the answers. Yeah I get that it's not everyone's thing, and it does seem that some things are not as good as they could be, but there's some aspects about it which I find intriguing, especially linking to a reflector so you get (from what I understand) basically a chat room with everyone who is currently linked to that reflector.

I don't like that the equipment is more expensive than non-dstar equipment, but what are you gonna do. If you don't like it, you don't buy it I guess :-(

Still, something else I want to check out. I have an Icom 880H on it's way as we speak, so can't wait to try it out!

stevolene

I have the IC80 , when I first got it I was completely frustrated, but after some time, lots of reading, and with help of the wonderful RT Systems programming software, I've became alot more at ease with the system and the little radio, program the reflectors of your choice in the radio, choose the closest repeater you can hit and have at it, use the unlink and link function and start exploring, I've found ref !C and 30C to be most active, I'm sure 38C which is the Dayton Hamvention reflector will be a blast once the festivities began as well 73

Status
Not open for further replies.