Refurbished/Refinished AR8000 in black

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
My old AOR AR8000 was getting pretty bad but still worked great. I found out they no longer sell replacement parts. Luckily, they still have some new style keypads but that's it. The thing was beat up, the lettering was rubbed off, there were heavy scratches on the display and the body too. I hated to let it just wither away since it still works so good. So, I decided to take a chance and try to refurb it myself.

I disassembled it to the bare boards and housing parts. I wet sanded it down and used SCRATCH OUT compund on the clear display window. I shot it with a coat of flat black after the housing was sanded down to get the gouges out. I took a pic of the labels and then got a model car decal kit by Testors at Wal-Mart. They have a white sheet of special water soluable printable paper in there. I printed white letters on a block of black background then fixed it with the spray on stuff in the kit. I put the labels on just like a model car. I used a fine brush to paint some flat around them to fill in the bit of white left on the edges. I drilled small holes where the volume dots were and filled them with white paint then installed a small blue LED in the top plate for an afermarket RX led that opens with the squelch. I finished it off with a couple of coats of semi gloss clear. The label was salvaged using UN-DU adhesive remover. That stuff will take anything off instantly and leave the sticker as good as new.

I was happy how it turned out. I forgot to paint around the top plate label edges so you see the square blocks but it's not enough for me to worry about.
At least this way I might get a few more good years out of it.
IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

Last edited:

Tom_G

Nice....

Mancow,
That looks very nice.
Amazing what can be done when you spend some time.
The front view looks like a new radio...

Nice work.

yaesumofo

Did AOR sell you the keypads?
None of mine have that nice shiny finish.
Are those shiny keypad digits harder than the original pads?

One of the great things about the 8000 is that it is pretty darn easy to disassemble making the refurb process a little easier to perform.
Good Job. Can I send you a couple for the same treatment?
I love my 8000's they have receivers which are second to none in a hand held radio..
I am lucky to own 3 of them one of which is an ultra RARE translucent BLUE unit.
Amazing.

Oh great job BTW.
Yaesumofo

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Man that is Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet - how much would you charge to do another one?

yaesumofo

The AOR USA office sells spare parts for their radios.
I have been able to buy keypads from them in the past.
The keypads that he used in the refurb look different from the ones I have seen in the past. They look like the hard plastic units. notice how shiny they are.
I have 2 8000's now and none of them have shiny keypads.
Shoot aor an e-mail. they are extreemely helpful.
Yaesumofo

judyfinkle said:
Your scanner looks great !
Mine is still in pretty good condition.
My keypad is worn.
Do you know where can I get a new one?

Thanks
Jay

yaesumofo

I sent an e-mail to AOR re those keyboard pads. They say they are a new style which is shiny.
I will be ordering a few myself.
Thanks for the thread which reminded me about my 3 8000's which were being neglected.
Yaesumofo

mancow

Database Admin
I just realized this thread had more replies. Thanks to all for the good words.

It took me about six hours total to do the radio. I wasn't in a big hurry either so I did it over a few evenings.

The paint isn't all that durable since it's model paint. It does seem to be better now that it has had time to cure but I can still mar it a bit if I rub the surface with a finger nail. I really wish I could get that really tough baked on type of surface but you can't seem to get paint now days that has any durability to it at all. Even the Krylon and other brands like that are crap. The only thing that seems to hold up is the Epoxy Applicance Paint but I can only find that in gloss white.

I would do another some time for fee. I think I have one more set of labels left. But, it would have to be some time in the near future since I don't have any time right now. I'm leaving for vacation for a week and I have other stuff going on. It would probably be two or three weeks before I could get to it.

As for the keypad, it was $17.00 from AOR and it's the new style hard plastic coated type. It's a much better design than the original.

mancow

Database Admin
Maybe you guys can help with this. I need a new rotary encoder for it. The one in it now is shot and it causes the channels or steps to jump back and forth erratically. I tried looking on the mouser and digikey sites but their search pages are a nightmare. An equivalent part number would be a great help.

judyfinkle

Got it

I cannot help you with parts for a AR8000

I received my new keypad and installed it today.

Looks and works great.........

I did find a hard leather case for the AR8000 at Universal Radio.

It is under close outs. Misc., Ar300 $8.95

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/close/3131.html

It's a hard case, and the radio and clip fit inside.

Has a plastic window over LCD only.

Thanks again for the Keypad info.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.