Regency HX1500 Factory Reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

Trying again to resurrect my HX1500:

See for more info: http://forums.radioreference.com/al.../330725-regency-hx1500-displaying-fr-err.html

Maybe I am overthinking things and it just needs a factory reset. There is no 'CPU reset' switch like there is on the older HX1000. The manual is of no help. Has anyone here factory reset an HX1500? How did you go about doing it?

I had the same problem with my Regency HX1500 about 7 years ago and ended up sending it to G & G Communications (Home Page) for repair. IIRC there was a problem with the phased-lock loop circuit and they were able to pull a used part(s) from another Regency scanner parts-salvage unit that they had. They did an excellent repair and the scanner worked well for at least a few years but then developed the same problem again. I guess the used part that they put in only had so much life left in it and then developed the same problem as my original factory part.

I decided not to have the scanner repaired a second time. Although the HX1500 was an excellent scanner in its day (purchased mine back in the 1980s), it lacks many features that are common and needed in today's scanners. IMHO the lack of PL/DPL decoding is a major drawback especially in a major metropolitan area and the lack of any 800 MHz coverage is another drawback.

For nostalgic purposes you might want to consider having the unit repaired. If so, the repair price listed on the G & G Communications website is $40 plus parts plus shipping (G & G Communications). Of course the repair would be dependent on the availability of the necessary repair part(s).

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
While the Regency HX scanners of the 1980s are obsolete for most listening purposes today, they are still without a doubt the most sensitive receivers for the rail band (160-161 mHz) and I'd like to have mine back to working condition. Appreciate the tip about G&G Communications. I'll have to check with them to getting the thing fixed!

trp2525

While the Regency HX scanners of the 1980s are obsolete for most listening purposes today, they are still without a doubt the most sensitive receivers for the rail band (160-161 mHz) and I'd like to have mine back to working condition...

I agree with you that the HX1500 was highly regarded for railroad monitoring in its day. Even in that specific area of monitoring it is showing its age. I sometimes monitor the railroad channels in my area (Massachusetts/Rhode Island) and although a lot of the railroad traffic remains CSQ, I have found various users using PL and DPL on the standard railroad frequencies. Also NXDN is starting to be used on the railroad channels and the only scanners capable of monitoring that traffic (as announced as of right now anyway) will be the Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2 when their NXDN upgrade is released (scheduled by the end of 2016 or early 2017).

To illustrate my point here is a list of the railroad frequency use in my area showing PL, DPL and NXDN use courtesy of the Scan New England Wiki: Railroads - Scan New England Wiki

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
From what I understand, the HX1200 still used a 8 cell 'battery pack', does the 1500 use individual replaceable cells?
Also, did the 1500 have a charging stand like the 1000 did?

Status
Not open for further replies.