Regency Monitoradio/Scanner Model TMR-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBurns1971

Can anyone give me any info on this model? Just found it going through some stuff and would like to know the year it was made,how much it is worth, or anything at all you can tell me about this model.I searched the web and I can't even find a picture of it just the TMR-8 model and higher.Thanks :)

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Here's a listing I found that suggests that the TMR4 was very similar to the TMR8 (4 channels vs 8 channels)

-JK

N4MW Regency Crystal Controlled Monitors List
TMR/TME

Original style monitors. TMR is the smaller package typically used mobile and TME the larger footprint "Executive" version. Both used identical circuitry and operated from 110 volts AC or 12 volts DC. The smaller TMR actually had a larger (4 inch) speaker than the TME (3 inch).

TME16HL Crystal Scanner, High, Low, and UHF Bands 16 Channels
TME16HLU Crystal Scanner, High, Low, and UHF Bands 16 Channels
TME8HL Crystal Scanner, Base or Mobile High and Low Bands 8 Channels
TME8HLU Crystal Scanner, High, Low, and UHF Bands 8 Channels
TMR12H Crystal Scanner, High Band Only 12 Channels
TMR1H Crystal Scanner, High Band Only Single Channel
TMR1L Crystal Scanner, Low Band Only Single Channel
TMR1U Crystal Scanner, UHF Band Only Single Channel
TMR4 Crystal Scanner, High Band Only 4 Channels
TMR8 Crystal Scanner, Base or Mobile High and Low Bands 8 Channels
TMR1A Crystal Scanner, "Flightscan" Base or mobile, for VHF AM aircraft range Single Channel
TMR8A Crystal Scanner, "Flightscan" Base or mobile, for VHF AM aircraft range 8 Channel
TME8A Crystal Scanner, "Flightscan" Base or mobile, for VHF AM aircraft range 8 Channel

RBurns1971

Thank you Chief

Wondering if you know how old it is? Thank you for your help I really appreciate it

oracavon

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Can anyone give me any info on this model? Just found it going through some stuff and would like to know the year it was made,how much it is worth, or anything at all you can tell me about this model.I searched the web and I can't even find a picture of it just the TMR-8 model and higher.Thanks :)

The TMR-4 was made in 1971.

W9NES

The Regency TMR-4H was made in 1971 by Regency Electronics at 7707 Records Street in Lawrence,In(East side of Indianapolis) off of Pendleton Pike. My Parents had a Regency TMR-8H for our first scanner that ran 24/7/365 in our home during the 1970's. I did own a Regency TMR-4L that was for low band 30-50Mhz and had it set up for Indiana State Police on 42Mhz.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased from EBAY a Regency 8 frequency scanner that I owned back in 1972. It was my first scanner, but my dad gave it away years ago after I left home to make my fame and fortune. This scanner looks almost new. I'm 59, and it looks better than me !

Anyhow, this had 8 red lights across the front that would scan until it picked up a signal. I do not know the model number.

Does anyone know if crystals are still available for these units? It would be fun to have it scan again...even if it only picks up school buses. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Greg

oracavon

Make sure you get "10.7 IF" crystals (used by Regency, Realistic, and others). Bearcat crystals are "10.8 IF", so you don't want those. You may have to do some hunting for the frequencies you need. Most places have a limited selection. Below are some places where you can get used crystals. New ones have to be custom made and are therefore very expensive.

G&G communications: XTAL1
Robert Ott Electronics: Scanner Crystals | Bearcat Regency Police Fire EMS Radio Scanner Crystal
Ken's Electronics: Police Scanner Crystals Stocked at Ken's Electronics, (Wholesale & Retail Electronic Parts) Kalamazoo, Michigan
WMI Crystal Sales website: Radio Crystals For Sale
WMI Crystal Sales on eBay: Police Scanner Crystals 10 7 If $4 00 per Crystal 039 Pin Size HC 25 U | eBay

I've personally done business with WMI and G&G. The other places also have good reputations and positive comments on RR.

Last edited:

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Oracavon...I really appreciate the help. I also thank you for the links you sent. I know I won't pick up the State Police P25 system with it (lol) but in 1972 I could pick up all the action back in York, PA. I was a volunteer fire-fighter and the Regency woke me up at night only when our tone was activated. My ears were calibrated I guess.

I bought it as it was just a good memory of mine in easier times.

Thanks again.

Greg

oracavon

You're welcome. Like you, I got into scanning back in the 1970's listening to all the local agencies with crystal scanners. In fact, I even worked for some of those agencies over the years. For nostalgia reasons (like you, good memories of simpler times), I now have a small collection of crystal scanners (including some of my original radios). Fortunately, I can still use them to listen to the Highway Patrol. And I still enjoy listening to them. In fact, some of them lock on to the signal faster, and have better audio, than my Uniden 996XT.

There's just something about the flashing lights and individual channel indicators that makes them fun to watch. Kind of like watching an electronic roulette wheel or slot machine - not knowing which one it will stop on next. Watching modern scanners is boring by comparison, although they are fun in the sense that you can customize their programming and displays, and pick up fancy trunked and digital systems with them. But I love watching those individual channel lights.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
My very first receiver was before my Regency; it was a radio that picked up AM/FM/Shortwave/ and public service bands. One day, while trying to tune it to something, I picked up our local fire station responding to a call. After that I was hooked. My dad knew a fire-fighter who purchased the Regency for me and set it up with Crystals. I( don't remember what I paid for it, but it all came out of my wallet.) I was about 16 at the time. I joined the FD when I was 17, went to PA. State fire school, and spent a great deal of time as a volunteer.

Those red scanning lights were hi tech!! Fun to watch. I was lucky I found this Regency today..it is in excellent condition. Has that expensive Wood Grain look to it..lol. But it won't have that new scanner smell. :(

Well, have a great night and thanks for the info. Take care.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.