Regina Phase 2 Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

skynet888

In my city of Regina Police are Phase 2 fully encrypted.
EMS and FIRE Phase 2 and soon to be fully encrypted.
City transit moving to Phase 2 and also to be fully encrypted.

Ok I can see the police wanting their transmissions encrypted, but EMS? Fire? Bus?

My friend working for WHO (world health organization) states if a disaster strikes, whether it be a lethal virus, asteroid, or some other catastrophic event, they want to the public in the dark to control the masses reactions. I am thinking she is right. Have to keep the roads clear of the panicking people so the politicians can safely get to their shelters.

misterdogg

Premium Subscriber
Phase 2 Encrytion

Well if this is true, good thing I got a super deal on my phase 2 scanner.
I can't see the reason behind encrypting Regina transit. Fire doesn't make sense either. EMS I can sort of understand due to privacy issues.
If city works and the Humane Society go encrypted as well then I would say that someone at City Hall has some explaining to do, Money wasted!!

Last edited:

skynet888

Well if this is true, good thing I got a super deal on my phase 2 scanner.
I can't see the reason behind encrypting Regina transit. Fire doesn't make sense either. EMS I can sort of understand due to privacy issues.
If city works and the Humane Society go encrypted as well then I would say that someone at City Hall has some explaining to do, Money wasted!!

I totally agree, All cities in Canada are going this way... so ya..sold my phase two scanner.

misterdogg

Premium Subscriber
Regina Phase 2 Encryption

I could never understand that I can listen to Chicago Police on line but the city of Regina, which has one of the highest crime rates in the country, encrypts their police service transmissions. I am not saying that everything should be in the clear, but just imagine how many extra eyes would be on the lookout for that stolen car , b&e suspect, or that lost child. Many times in the past, scanner hobbyists myself included have made phone calls to RPS reporting that they saw a suspect or a vehicle. not expecting a reward, but just looking to do the right thing.
Now when something happens we might hear about it on the news hours later and the Regina Police Service is asking for the public's assistance. Longtime scanner hobbyists sometimes carried a scanner in their car or tucked away in a jacket pocket, just to keep up with the action going on in the city. If there was an accident on the highway, they knew to take a detour to avoid it. If there was a BOLO for a suspicious person or vehicle we opened the eyes a little wider...just in case they might see something. Those were the days.

skynet888

I could never understand that I can listen to Chicago Police on line but the city of Regina, which has one of the highest crime rates in the country, encrypts their police service transmissions. I am not saying that everything should be in the clear, but just imagine how many extra eyes would be on the lookout for that stolen car , b&e suspect, or that lost child. Many times in the past, scanner hobbyists myself included have made phone calls to RPS reporting that they saw a suspect or a vehicle. not expecting a reward, but just looking to do the right thing.
Now when something happens we might hear about it on the news hours later and the Regina Police Service is asking for the public's assistance. Longtime scanner hobbyists sometimes carried a scanner in their car or tucked away in a jacket pocket, just to keep up with the action going on in the city. If there was an accident on the highway, they knew to take a detour to avoid it. If there was a BOLO for a suspicious person or vehicle we opened the eyes a little wider...just in case they might see something. Those were the days.

I agree 100%. I believe there are many positives as you stated in being able to assist the police when we could hear what was going on. Anytime big brother covers my eyes or this case my ears, I become suspicious.

misterdogg

Premium Subscriber
There is an article on the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACPnet) regarding encryption and delay of emergency service radio transmissions. I hope that maybe that line of thinking will take root up here.
The article is titled The case for encryption and delay. I found it very interesting and I might just forward a copy to our local city officials.

mciupa

Database Admin
What scanners are considered phase 2? Will this change in Regina have any impact on rural fire and EMS?

The list is as follows:

Code:
Scanner Support for TDMA

The following scanners can decode P25 Phase I, [B]Phase II[/B], and Motorola X2-TDMA systems.

GRE PSR-800 

Radio Shack Pro-18, Pro-668

Uniden BCD325P2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BCD996P2, HomePatrol-2, SDS100

Whistler WS1080, WS1088, WS1095, WS1098, TRX-1, TRX-2

Local folk can advise you on your rural question.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I am not saying that everything should be in the clear, but just imagine how many extra eyes would be on the lookout for that stolen car , b&e suspect, or that lost child.

What percentage of people scan?

0.001% of the population?

In reality, Police going encrypted does not lose a whole lot of eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What scanners are considered phase 2? Will this change in Regina have any impact on rural fire and EMS?
PPSTN is phase 1 P25 so there will be no change / no impact on rural fire and EMS listeners.
Regina's new P25 system will be 100% encrypted so there is no need to spend $ and hear nothing but noise.
Cheers !

Are are any of you guys going to run Unitrunker in conjunction with SDR USB device on city Regina's P25 phase 2 control channel and get data for the RR database ?

Encryption does not end the hobby for everyone.

I can still see what is going on with the right equipment.
Unitrunker is free and SDR cost is very little.

I don't need or really want to hear what is being said when I can see who just arrived on site.

Example of data
seen on my local site.
Look who just showed up in town :

Attachments

• WP_20190204_002.jpg
    WP_20190204_002.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 66

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Are are any of you guys going to run Unitrunker in conjunction with SDR USB device on city Regina's P25 phase 2 control channel and get data for the RR database ?

Encryption does not end the hobby for everyone.

I can still see what is going on with the right equipment.
Unitrunker is free and SDR cost is very little.

I don't need or really want to hear what is being said when I can see who just arrived on site.

Example of data
seen on my local site.
Look who just showed up in town :

Doesn't help matters much. Not what I am interested in being mobile or portable.

jets1961

Yes but it does exactly what it is designed to do, block media access to emergency services. A few police agency's have been caught trying to get away with not reporting to SIU or IIU type agency because they know nobody can hear them.

What percentage of people scan?

0.001% of the population?

In reality, Police going encrypted does not lose a whole lot of eyes.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Yes but it does exactly what it is designed to do, block media access to emergency services. A few police agency's have been caught trying to get away with not reporting to SIU or IIU type agency because they know nobody can hear them.

It is quite common for media to be given the option to buy compatible radios, and have the police program and key load the radio.

Loosen the tinfoil.

jets1961

Ya K,

Where in Canada have they given media access to a system? How about Toronto or Peel or Winnipeg, name one!

It is quite common for media to be given the option to buy compatible radios, and have the police program and key load the radio.

Loosen the tinfoil.

jets1961

Why does Motorola not sell DMR? The probably don't want to go with P25 when DMR or NXDN can do the job but at a way lower overall system cost.

That eliminates Motorola. Odd they want NXDN or DMR rather than go with P25.

mciupa

Database Admin
A friendly reminder that the topic is about Regina.

Thanks for your diverse opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.