Regional Map Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxmedic

Hi all,

Looking for info on the Portland regional map page grid that fire dispatch uses -- e.g., "map page 5694 D". As I understand it, they're 1-mile grids, and the numbers are basically X and Y coordinates (e.g, X = 56 and Y = 94), and the A/B/C/D corresponding to quarter-map grids. That's about as much as I have been able to find, though.

I'm wondering how far the grid extends (Multnomah, Clackamas, Washington? Clark? etc), where the origin / 0 point is, and how exactly the numbering works. Any other info would be helpful. I'm checking with some other sources, but there are some smart folks here who have a lot of info ... :)

Thanks!

DickH

Hi all,

Looking for info on the Portland regional map page grid that fire dispatch uses -- e.g., "map page 5694 D". As I understand it, they're 1-mile grids, and the numbers are basically X and Y coordinates (e.g, X = 56 and Y = 94), and the A/B/C/D corresponding to quarter-map grids. That's about as much as I have been able to find, though.

I'm wondering how far the grid extends (Multnomah, Clackamas, Washington? Clark? etc), where the origin / 0 point is, and how exactly the numbering works. Any other info would be helpful. I'm checking with some other sources, but there are some smart folks here who have a lot of info ... :)

Thanks!

I can send you the overview showing the entire Portland grid, but since you have chosen not to receive private messages or e-mails I can't send it.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
One of the sites (portlandmaps.com?) has a fire-map overlay that shows the grid as it applies to the northwest corner of the state. The "pages" correspond to the assessor's maps (i.e. each "page" is a "section"; the "A", "B", "C", and "D" represent quarter-sections).

I hadn't known about the XY aspect of it before though, thanks!

ORE007

Feed Provider
Starts in Astoria and works its way East and South. Not sure who started these pages or what they were originally intended for. I do know Mult, Clack, Wash, Marion and Yamhill county agencies are using them.

mjohnston4

What ORE007 said is correct. It starts at the most Northwestern tip of Oregon. The first set of numbers increase as you go South and the second set increases as you go East. So 5473 is 54 miles south and 73 miles east of that point, it puts it in the middle of Forest Grove.

DickH

What ORE007 said is correct. It starts at the most Northwestern tip of Oregon. The first set of numbers increase as you go South and the second set increases as you go East. So 5473 is 54 miles south and 73 miles east of that point, it puts it in the middle of Forest Grove.

So 5400 is 54 miles south and 100 miles east. Then what happens at the next 100 miles east? Is it 5400 again?

mjohnston4

Good question Dick, I'm not sure. I know this is the system that Washington County uses. Cause there are portions of I believe Clackamas and Multnomah Counties that start the 100's. What does Portland use?

DickH

Good question Dick, I'm not sure. I know this is the system that Washington County uses. Cause there are portions of I believe Clackamas and Multnomah Counties that start the 100's. What does Portland use?

I think ours is a continuation of the one that starts in Astoria. Our 5100 is from 102nd to 122nd and from the river to I-84.

ljensen

There are xx100's series maps in Clackamas County. They drop the "1" (100's digit) in the CAD system. When the change was made from the old map grid to the current one they found the CAD system would not handle the extra digit. Many Clackamas Couny Fire Districts utilize a 6 digit map page number.
For example the map page 6102AB (is actually 61102AB) with the 100's digit dropped. The "A" represents the previously mentioned quarter section and the "B" represents a sub map within that quarter section. The sub map might be a housing development, a large appartment complex, a mobile home park, etc.

Remember not all Clackamas County Fire Districts may utillize the last letter place for the sub map.

One of my assigned projects at Estacada Fire was maintaining the maps books (before the days of MDC's in the vehicles, thought to this date not all apparatus has an MDC (cost vs usage) and in the rural areas MDC coverage is sporatic at best, they utilize wireless cards for connectivity. Several Fire Agencies in Clackamas County have a limited number of MDS's. With these considerations map books are still maintained and utilizied in apparatus.

Larry

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Curious -- is this something that could be published to the Wiki? (Or would that violate the copyright or PFB regulations?)

Status
Not open for further replies.