Regional Water Authority

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkB513

Just thought I'd pass along the Regional Water Authority has recently put a narrow highland repeater into operation on 151.145 NAC 732 transmitting out of Wolcott. Basically all I've heard so far is chit chat between two people giving me the impression it's the early stages of setting up the repeater. The only reason I noticed it was because it was coming through loud and clear on my 996XT in the Bloomfield/West Hartford area on AMR's close frequency of 151.1525, which obviously they aren't using yet. I wouldn't doubt they are going to get some interference from it when they do.

MarkB

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Wow great story for you all. This is what I love about this hobby.
I monitor the Quabbin Reservoir who are up in Mass. on 159.435 and since they have 3 or 4 output PL's, I leave the receive PL open (carrier squelch). For the past month or so I have been hearing a couple of guys talking back and forth about the radios and such on that frequency. They seem like they are mobile or portables because the signal strength bounces around here and there. I was wondering who they were from the beginning and since then I have not been able to figure them out. They use P25 with a Nac of 732. Bingo. So now I know who they are and what the output freq. is for this, the obvious input freq.
Bob

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
just read this post. i wasn't really monitoring rwa pd only because i didnt thik it would be anything except this past week when rwa pd had to go to their property off rt 34 in west haven as there was a brush fire and then a missing 7 year old. so i am now debating putting them i my scanner. so my questions are, is it worth it to do so? are they that busy or is it just chit-chat? what other areas are they utilized in? and are they a private police force like yale university or what? who oversees them? Most important from the monitoring standpoint are they analog or p25? I know they're uhf but thought they were p25 but the database doesnt say dig or analog.

thanks
joe

KB1JHU

There doesn't seem to be a lot of traffic from them. Most of the time it's patrol checks on the properties or someone calling because a gate should be open and isn't or some other nonsense but since it's very rare that I hear them I don't find it necessary to lock them out. I think the RWA and the other water co's in CT are created by state statute and are "quasi-public" entities I would guess that their police are authorized by state statute. The PD is on 452.700 $273. The RWA also has 451.2250 $293 and 451.7000 $283 which I would describe as being used by "maintenance". It's all the other stuff related to delivering water to people.

MarkB513

RWA's new repeater on 151.145 has been full time encrypted for a while now. It would seem it started shortly after I mentioned finding it. Makes me wonder if I should have mentioned it at all, although it could have been their intent all along.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
RWA's new repeater on 151.145 has been full time encrypted for a while now. It would seem it started shortly after I mentioned finding it. Makes me wonder if I should have mentioned it at all, although it could have been their intent all along.

Mark, I wouldn't sweat it man, really.What are we missing out on anyway? Nothing!

Manny

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound

I was thinking the same thing last night while monitoring the encrypted comms. I was blaming it on myself for blabbing about the input freq I found, and telling the story how I found it on this forum.
I also told the story on our weekly ham simplex net.
I found out later that one of the radio techs was monitoring the net!.
I have a feeling it is just the radio techs using ENC. right now just to show us who is boss :)
We will see.
Bob

quantar21

I don't blame any entity for encripting radio comms. (Although routine police & fire should be in the clear) Way too many people with radio scanners and nothing better to do. Think about this: How would you like your conversations monitored and talked about? In the begining, Astro P25 was the way to go when scanners could not rx them. Now they can, so encription is the best way to go. MotoTRBO and NEXDEN are the new non scanable emissions (and are legal to use on ham bands non encrypted!!)....for now until the scanner manufactures can decode it, then that too will be encrypted.

MTACOP

Retired
Premium Subscriber
just read this post. i wasn't really monitoring rwa pd only because i didnt thik it would be anything except this past week when rwa pd had to go to their property off rt 34 in west haven as there was a brush fire and then a missing 7 year old. so i am now debating putting them i my scanner. so my questions are, is it worth it to do so? are they that busy or is it just chit-chat? what other areas are they utilized in? and are they a private police force like yale university or what? who oversees them? Most important from the monitoring standpoint are they analog or p25? I know they're uhf but thought they were p25 but the database doesnt say dig or analog.

thanks
joe

I used to monitor them, but like said really nothing much going on there. I have heard them use North Branford PD's uhf channel to call in stuff and when they are working together. Not sure, but would imagine they would also have West Haven, Branford, Woodbridge, etc... since they are all in uhf.

They are closer to the railroad police by statute, protecting property of the water authority. Since they reduced their force and my friends there retired I took them out of the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.