Registered address receive related mail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa

I want to get my license but I don't like the idea of having my home address listed publicly online.
I want to get a PO Box to use for my address.

Does anything get sent to your registered address?
Will anything ever be sent to it?
Or is the address just on file?

Thank you.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
I have my PO Box listed on my license as my address. Never get anything at my home address. The only thing you will receive is the license mailed to the address on file. Or if you request a duplicate license. The FCC will not send you anything you don't request.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The actual printed license will get sent to your address. There isn't anything wrong with using a PO Box. Since the FCC license is available online for anyone to see, it's probably a good idea.
I actually had mine sent to a PO Box back in the 1990s.

Since it is available for the world to see, you might get some amateur radio related mail, but not an excessive amount. I seem to get the occasional AES and HRO catalog, but that is about it.

I also used to have an amateur radio call sign license plate on my truck. When I discovered I could search on my call sign and pull up the address on line, I decided to get rid of it. Doing a lot of traveling for work and leaving a wife at home didn't make me very comfortable.

n5ims

The ARRL (and some other ham related organizations) will send out some mail, especially right after a renewal or upgrade. Also just prior to your license expiring, some VECs will send you notices offering to renewing your license for a fee (don't do it since it's quick, easy, and free - vanity call sign fee extra - to do so using the FCC ULS system).

Also, you should check the PO box regularly since the FCC will attempt to contact you at your registered address in the off chance that there are any questions or notices of violations. Failure to respond could cause a violation for failing to keep the FCC informed of any change in address. While these are very rare, it's still something for you to think about. You can't simply rent a PO box short term for your renewal address to keep your main address private. You'll need to keep it active throughout your license period.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Also anyone can get the address from any license plate, it is public information.

Um, are you sure about this? As far as I know you may be able to pay a service to get that info but I'm pretty certain it is not free, public info like call sign info...

N0IU

Also, you should check the PO box regularly since the FCC will attempt to contact you at your registered address in the off chance that there are any questions or notices of violations. Failure to respond could cause a violation for failing to keep the FCC informed of any change in address.

Close, but...

§97.23 Mailing address.
Each license grant must show the grantee's correct name and mailing address. The mailing address must be in an area where the amateur service is regulated by the FCC and where the grantee can receive mail delivery by the United States Postal Service. Revocation of the station license or suspension of the operator license may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as undeliverable because the grantee failed to provide the correct mailing address.

Here is a link to Part 97. This is straight from the horse's mouth and is current as of August 7, 2014.

WQPW689

N4KVE

I had similar thoughts when I recently renewed. I was going to get a PO box just to get the license sent to. Then I Googled myself & saw my address listed many other times on the internet, for other things, so I just had it sent to the house.

Circa

Which size of PO box do you use?
Biggest one is nearly $300/year for an 11x11in.

And is there anything you can do or file to atleast get your street numbers removed from being publicly viewable?

Has anyone tried using USPS Forward Mail for their address? https://www.usps.com/manage/forward-mail.htm (Click the General Delivery tab)

Or any cheaper (or free) alternatives to a P.O. box?
considering the very small amount of mail it will receive.

Last edited:

N0IU

I have been licensed for almost a quarter of a century and have always used my home address on my license. "Back in the day", I used to receive paper QSL cards all the time, but that is getting pretty rare any more. I do receive packets from my incoming QSL bureau from time to time, but even that is slowing down quite a bit.

But with all due respect, I gotta ask... (and you obviously don't need to answer this)...

What are you afraid of? In all the time I have been licensed, I have never had any fear that someone will look up my address, come to my house and do some harm to me or my family. There is being prudent and cautious, but on the other side of that line is paranoia.

And remember, even if you pay $80 a year for the smallest (Size 1) Post Office Box, remember that you have to keep it for the entire term of your license so it will end up costing you $800! Can you afford to get into amateur radio at this time?

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I have been licensed for almost a quarter of a century and have always used my home address on my license. "Back in the day", I used to receive paper QSL cards all the time, but that is getting pretty rare any more. I do receive packets from my incoming QSL bureau from time to time, but even that is slowing down quite a bit.

But with all due respect, I gotta ask... (and you obviously don't need to answer this)...

What are you afraid of? In all the time I have been licensed, I have never had any fear that someone will look up my address, come to my house and do some harm to me or my family. There is being prudent and cautious, but on the other side of that line is paranoia.

And remember, even if you pay $80 a year for the smallest (Size 1) Post Office Box, remember that you have to keep it for the entire term of your license so it will end up costing you $800! Can you afford to get into amateur radio at this time?

I'm not who you were asking but maybe rates vary between post offices but mine is only $40-something a year...

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
maybe rates vary between post offices but mine is only $40-something a year...

They can vary quite a bit..... I renewed mine yesterday @ $128/year for the smallest size.

soderlund416

I've had the same thought, dont really like that the address are listed, although not overly worryed about something happening because of that. As for PO boxes used them a lot when I did cross county trucking. There not to bad to use and get, (as long as the post office has one available) the smallest ones are usually $20 to $30 bucks depending on the area. The small ones should be sufficient, and most post offices will just pull the mail and keep it behind the counter if the box gets to full or something gets sent to it that wont fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.