BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Registering a used 436 for upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Bought a used 436. No upgrades with it. Plan on DMR for the 1st upgrade. Do I need to register it first in order to buy the DMR upgrade? Thanks.

Reconrider

Wasn't sure when it came to used radios. Thanks.
As long as it wasn't already registered, it should be easy to do.
If the person registered it already - which I doubt - I think you have to call or email uniden to have them clear the other account of that serial number

garys

Premium Subscriber
Nope. I thought so too, but recently bought a used 325p2 with DMR and was able to register it.

As long as it wasn't already registered, it should be easy to do.
If the person registered it already - which I doubt - I think you have to call or email uniden to have them clear the other account of that serial number

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep previous owner doesn't have to do anything either, it's interesting that those who actually spend the extra money and have the vendor install the key, the vendor has to register the radio first to get the key. After you get the radio you just register it in your name.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have registered several used Unidens and bought DMR and or NXDN for them. When I buy a used Uniden I ask the seller for a Printed Copy of any keys bought by them. This was told to me by UPMan due to if the scanner ever had to sent in for a board replacement they may not readd the key but the old key would work because they would make the replacement the same serial number and esn as the old board.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Ok guys. Just registered it. It took. But looking at my all my scanners tab, which shows my SDS200 registration, something doesn't look right. The serial number I entered didn't take the last 2 digits. Looking at my SDS200 info, the serial number is actually under ESN and some number I havent seen before is now under the SN. I did upgrade the SDS200 for DMR so thinking thats why the change. But, there is nothing under ESN for the 436. Was about to buy the upgrade for the 436 until I noticed something doesnt look right. Don't want to purchase the DMR key and it won't take. Suggestions?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Just saw another issue. The bar code on the back of the 436 is a little different to the one showing on system info. The 4th digit on the back is a Z and the 4th digit listed on the screen is a 2.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Ok guys. Just registered it. It took. But looking at my all my scanners tab, which shows my SDS200 registration, something doesn't look right. The serial number I entered didn't take the last 2 digits. Looking at my SDS200 info, the serial number is actually under ESN and some number I havent seen before is now under the SN. I did upgrade the SDS200 for DMR so thinking thats why the change. But, there is nothing under ESN for the 436. Was about to buy the upgrade for the 436 until I noticed something doesnt look right. Don't want to purchase the DMR key and it won't take. Suggestions?
The serial number (SN) should match the number on the bar code tag on the back of the scanner (12 digits). The electronic serial number (ESN) is found through the scanner's on-screen menu system, it's 14 digits and the check sum number is the 3 digits after the hyphen in the ESN.

Take note if you are being asked for the ESN, or the SN. Some forms already have some of the beginning digits entered in the form.

If you can't physically access the rear of the scanner for the SN, look at the ESN and substitute a "Z" for the digits "260" ... that will give you the SN.

Last edited:

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
It won't let me enter all the digits on the registration. Only 12 digits its letting me enter. Am using the SN on the screen under firmware. Can't upgrade until this gets fixed. Shot off a email to uniden.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It won't let me enter all the digits on the registration. Only 12 digits its letting me enter. Am using the SN on the screen under firmware. Can't upgrade until this gets fixed. Shot off a email to uniden.
You're trying to enter the ESN where it's asking you for the SN.

Again, as I posted above, note if you are being asked for the serial number (SN) or the electronic serial number (ESN).. they are different.

If you are registering the scanner it's asking you for the serial number... you use the 12 digit serial number (SN) on the tag on the back of the scanner.

If you are purchasing the upgrades, it will ask you for the electronic serial number (ESN)... the 14 digit number from the scanner's menu system. When you enter the ESN to purchase the upgrades, that window will already have the first 2 digits of the ESN posted there.

If you can't physically access the rear of the scanner for the SN, look at the ESN and substitute a "Z" for the digits "260" ... that will give you the SN.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
This is frustrating but stay with it. We have talked about several different radios here but I think you're focusing on the 436 which is registered with the serial number on the back of the radio, the one that has the Z.

Go to the ESN field which is the electronic serial number that you found in the radio menu under scanner information that has the check sum number at the end and you need after you start the process to purchase an upgrade.

Forget about the first five numbers of the ESN, you only have to enter the last nine digits of the 14 digits. Let us know how that works. It should take the ESN and allow you to finish your purchase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.