Reitrement of MVFD's Low-band Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Good evening, everyone!

As I drove into Murray this evening, I witnessed a "changing of the guard".

As I looked to my right, toward MVFD's station, I noticed that the folded dipole low-band base station antenna, which has served Murray Volunteer Fire Department for as many years as I can remember, has been removed from the wooden pole.

In it's place has been installed a short, blue-colored antenna, which I can only guess would be a VHF control station for Cass Fire East! The antenna is a single short stick - no beam or yagi.

My father, WA0RJR, tells me that he saw a D&D Communications truck in front of the station earlier this afternoon. Apparently, not everyone in the County makes use of "Mother Mobile Comm"!

Ahhh! Farewell to 39.90000 and the old Plectron paging encoder!

73's

obijohn

Apparently, not everyone in the County makes use of "Mother Mobile Comm"!

D&D is agressively going after work. They are under bidding almost everything Rick & company bids.

Also, I think Mobile Comm. is shorthanded these days.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Hi George,

I can remember the same thing happening at my home town. For my entire life, they had the same antenna on top of their fire house. One day, it was replaced with a fiberglass VHF antenna. It shows the days of low band are numbered.

After I noticed that the antenna was gone, I asked the city if I could have the old antenna. They were glad to get rid of it. I was planning to install the low band antenna for monitoring NSP, since this is the exact same antenna that NSP uses on their towers. It would be a little out of tune, but it still would be awesome. I didn’t realize until I got my hands on it that it was very big and heavy! However, I never got it installed prior to moving from NE. I still have it at my parent’s house sitting in a scrap pile in the back yard.

Cheers,

Joe

K0RPT

I'm not 100% sure but I think Moto in Omaha bought D-n-D. I know that the licenses have all went to First Digital the same as Mobil Comm in Omaha. If I'm wrong please set me straight.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.