• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Relay Timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFJammed

Do they make a relay with a timer built into it? I'd like to put my radios on a timer so when the car starts, they come on; but when I shut the car off, they stay on for a set amount of time. Someone point me towards the right product? Thanks.

RFJammed

Thanks. Thats kind of what I'm looking for.

Is it an alright idea to hook a scanner up to a relay, so it powers up/on whenever it receives radio without manually powering it on? Or will voltage drops consume the scanner? Whats the best way to avoid that on a ig. switched system? Thanks.

LT-EMTC9

I have one hooked up to a pager in our fire house. When the tones go off, I have it delay 5 seconds before the bell rings. They were very expensive, I ended up getting one from one of our FF's who works for a fire alarm company.

slicerwizard

Is it an alright idea to hook a scanner up to a relay, so it powers up/on whenever it receives radio without manually powering it on? Or will voltage drops consume the scanner? Whats the best way to avoid that on a ig. switched system? Thanks.
I don't understand what you're saying. You want it to power up when what happens?

If it happens once a day, sure, just power up / power down the scanner. If it happens frequently, it would probably be better to leave the scanner on and use the relay to enable/disable an external speaker.

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
I have this same type of setup on one of my vehicles and it is used to power my radio stack which is located in the vehicle.

For my system I built the timer with a 555 timer and a few other parts and it leaves on the radio power for 10 minutes (its adjustable) and then shuts off the power to the radios. I do have an override button so if I am sitting in the vehicle for longer than 10 minutes and I wish the radios to stay on I can switch the override switch on and the radio will stay on until I turn the override off. At that point, the timer will once again kick in and turn the radios off after the 10 minute timer period. Just like I had just shut off the vehicle.

The circuit isn't difficult to construct. However, if you wish to purchase one, you can find 12 volt timers at most electrical supply houses. Hook this up to the switch leg of your relay and you will have the same system as you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Dave

DickH

LT-EMTC9 said:
When the tones go off, I have it delay 5 seconds before the bell rings.

Why would you want to delay a response - even for 5 seconds?

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
Because when you start the car there is always a spike generated in the ignition and power system that if a radio is on could damage the radio. I have seen it happen, but only once, some people do install all radios with a power on delay after the car has been started...

Dave

DickH

k0pwo said:
Because when you start the car there is always a spike generated in the ignition and power system that if a radio is on could damage the radio. I have seen it happen, but only once, some people do install all radios with a power on delay after the car has been started...Dave

Why don't you use the quote button so we'll know who you are answering. If you're answering my question, it doesn't make sense.

okccsi

k0pwo said:
Because when you start the car there is always a spike generated in the ignition and power system that if a radio is on could damage the radio. I have seen it happen, but only once, some people do install all radios with a power on delay after the car has been started...

Dave

My Kenwoods have a built in power on delay. The other radio's I just use the on/off knob. Why not hook up each radio to a switch box, then power them on as needed?

OKC CSI

Status
Not open for further replies.