Release USB on PSR800 / Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Looking for suggestions -

I'm trying to make extra effort to ensure I don't corrupt the SD card in my PSR800 -- so I'm trying to make sure I always power down and "release" the USB port using the Windows "Safely remove..." on my Windows 7 laptop. However, for some reason, the release function on Windows 7 doesn't respond the way it should - in fact it seems to stop responding altogether.

I am not sure if this is a Windows problem or a PSR800 problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions on things I can try to fix it?

Thanks

No issues here with the 800 on Windows 7 64bit. Have you tried "Safely Remove Hardware" with other USB devices? I tried to get it to not work, but it worked every time. Did your computer come with Win 7 installed, or did you upgrade it?

troymail

Silent Key
No issues here with the 800 on Windows 7 64bit. Have you tried "Safely Remove Hardware" with other USB devices? I tried to get it to not work, but it worked every time. Did your computer come with Win 7 installed, or did you upgrade it?

Factory load --

I just tried plugging in a thumbdrive that I had inserted earlier today into an XP machine - it released fine from the XP machine but now on my Windows 7 machine, the release function doesn't even respond/react to being pressed - obviously it's something in the WIndows 7 software...

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I'm not for certain but it seems that Win7 just gives a balloon notification that the drive is ok to remove. If you somehow disabled ballon notifications, you may never see the safe to remove ballon popup appear.

I also notice that under Win 7 that my thumb drives LED's do not turn off when the safe to remove popup comes up. Under XP, the thumb drive's LED's always turned off at the same time the balloon popup came up.
No longer true with Win 7.

So if you are used to the external drive's indicator LED turning off under XP, get used to it not turning off under Win 7 even though the drive is safe to remove.

I think if you open up My Computer before you click the thing to remove your thumb drive, the drive will dissapear from that window when it is safe to remove in Win 7. A refresh may be necessary to see that the drive has vanished though. Win 7 seems to have issues with screen updates for folders and files and possibly drives.

JBuff27

"Troymail" do not know if you have solved your problem yet or not but here is what I have found also being new to MS Windows 7.

In the start menu go to Control Panel - Hardware & Sound-View Devices & Printers, and in this area you will find a USB area.

Now here depending on whats actually plugged into the USB you should find the item you need to use "Eject" on. But be careful as the message comes up in the lower right of the screen and is on only a VERY short time.

In my opinion there are problems with the "EJECT" function in MS 7. You can try to use the right click on the mouse and it is iffy when and if "EJECT" will show at all. Sometime if you are in the screen where you see all the drives and try to use the right click you will not get the "EJECT" at all and sometimes you will.

Good luck.

JBuff27

scannerfreak

Database Admin
I have been using WIN7 x64 ultimate for years. I personally have never seen an issue with the release function with any of my devices. It has worked for me each and every time I've asked it to. I also have not had any corruption issues with any of my PSR 800 cards, including the supplied 2GB card. Of course this is just my personal experiences.

troymail

Silent Key
I've seen this "release" problem on multiple occasions. I've also attempted the control panel eject option but had the same results - The thing lets me execute the eject/release, etc but ultimately never responded with "It is now safe..." etc.

It works most times but on occasion it just seems like the feature just stops working - not sure what is causing it.

If I reboot, everything seems to return to normal.....

As far as corruption of the SD card -- I've been extremely careful to power down, etc before unplugging/plugging (recently) and I've been checking the SD card with chkdsk each time I plug in. Things have been pretty good... until last night.

I am typically plugged in to the USB and running all night (I use the record feature heavily and sometimes the logging).

Last night I shut down the PC and forgot to power the radio down first. This happens on occasion when Windows updates occur also. Anyway, when I powered everything back up, chkdsk reported the SD card was corrupted. However, I was able to use chkdsk /f and it fixed things.

Status
Not open for further replies.