Reliable and afforable mobile unit that work in Suffolk County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you're trying to hear this system, the 15 won't work - you need a Phase 2 capable scanner

Suffolk County (Project 25) Trunking System, Suffolk County, New York - Scanner Frequencies

I assume the old Suffolk SmartZone system is on ts way out - I'll let the locals comment on that. Right now all their TGs appear to be Phase 1 , but I expect - as with other systems - that when the system is fully implemented, everything will go Phase 2 (unless someone associates on a Phase 1 talkgroup).

We have a complete list of Phase 2 ("TDMA") scanners here (which will, by the way, copy the old system just fine)

APCO Project 25 - The RadioReference Wiki

I see on the Suffolk county page you have a few NXDN systems in your area. Whistler's TRX-1 and TRX-2 will reportedly get an upgrade to copy this mode in the near future, so if you're interested in hearing these, I would research those scanners. There's no word yet whether Uniden or RS will have a similar upgrade.

Mike

Last edited:

KD2JAG

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. Assuming that I don't mind missing out on the Phase 2 stuff, will the BCT15X work for the all the other SmartZone systems?

The Phase 2 radios are a little out of my price range and I'd only feel comfortable purchasing it if knew that I WILL need it to hear the police, not MIGHT need it. So far, most of what I want to listen to is still Motorola SmartZone. Besides, I don't plan on living here long enough for the change to matter. Expect to be moving out of state in the next few years.

tl;dr. BCT15X, will it work with Motorola SmartZone 2?

Suffolk County Trunking System, Suffolk County, New York - Scanner Frequencies

BigDogg795

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. Assuming that I don't mind missing out on the Phase 2 stuff, will the BCT15X work for the all the other SmartZone systems?

The Phase 2 radios are a little out of my price range and I'd only feel comfortable purchasing it if knew that I WILL need it to hear the police, not MIGHT need it. So far, most of what I want to listen to is still Motorola SmartZone. Besides, I don't plan on living here long enough for the change to matter. Expect to be moving out of state in the next few years.

tl;dr. BCT15X, will it work with Motorola SmartZone 2?

Suffolk County Trunking System, Suffolk County, New York - Scanner Frequencies

I'll let W2LIE give his input when he sees this but BCT15X will work for the CURRENT network; when the new Phase 2 system is deployed sometime in 2017 it will no longer work at all. The wrench is the fact none of us know if Suffolk County will deploy encryption similar to what Nassau County did; if they do even my BCD436HP won't be more than a paperweight when it comes to the County.

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
The 15x will work until everything is switched over to the new 700mhz p25 phase 2 system. Once they switch you will need a phase 2 capable scanner. The only problem with using a scanner is its a simulcast system and the scanners don't receive well on digital simulcast systems.The precinct dispatch channels WILL NOT be encrypted. Pd ops 1-5 WILL be encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.