Reliable source for 3-5 foot coax extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

I am going to be mounting a Homepatrol in my vehicle and the location I chose is probably just beyond the reach of my antenna coax length. My antenna coax has a BNC connector and the Homepatrol requires an SMA. So I am looking for a reputable source the sells relatively short (like I said...3-5 feet) coax extension cables. I would need either a BNC female to BNC male cable (I did already purchase a BNC to SMA adapter to use in my home) or a BNC female to SMA male cable.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I actually found what seems to be a reputable place to get a 3 foot BNC jumper and a few places to get a right angle BNC female to SMA male adapter. That does not seem to be a very common adapter.

Last edited:

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
If you don't want to mess around with adapters contact John at The Antenna Farm. He has made MANY custom cables for me and they look and work great. I do have crimping tools for some connectors but he does this day in & day out so he has ALL the tools. Fast service and good pricing too.

dmg1969

Yeah, I have purchased from him in the past. Hopefully I found a mounting location that will not require any additional coax length. I did find a right angle SMA to BNC adapter through an old RR post and already purchased that. I will keep him in mind if I decide on another location that requires a coax extension. Thanks!

LtDoc

You could always get a 100 feet of coax, several dozen connectors, a soldering iron, and do your own. I think I know your reaction to that, and as far as those BNC connectors go, I would agree with you (I ain't gonna do it either). The reason for that several dozen connectors thingy is cuz' that's usually what it takes for me to get one right, you know? UHF connectors, no sweat, but forget BNC's...
Sorry 'bout that...
- 'Doc

sailor34957

Premium Subscriber
I have the same issue with distance for my Wilson Electronic 800/1900 antenna. It has 12' of cable (not sure what kind but it is really thin) and I need 5-7' more. Can I just get a jumper like above to cover that distance? I tested the antenna and It really works great.

sailor34957

Premium Subscriber
I took your advice about calling John at Antenna Farm. I had ordered a base for another antenna ( Laird Tech TRAB7603) that had a 12' cable also this morning. He cancelled that and I reordered for a 20' cable.

Thanks

n5ims

The cable your referring to is RG 174

RG-174, a good dummy load at the 800 MHz frequencies (6.11 dB loss over 20 feet, about the length you're talking about so a bit under 1/4 of the signal at the antenna will reach your radio). While this thin, flexible cable is great for snaking around your door jam, it isn't so great for your reception. As a comparison, using RG-58 (Belden 8240), often said to have quite a bit of loss at 800 MHz frequencies, you'll only have 2.654 dB of loss (over half of the signal from your antenna will make it to your radio).

Swap out that mag mount that needs even more cable (and more loss) with one of the standard NMO mounts (3/4" hole - great, two or three tiny screw holes hidden inside your trunk or hood using the L bracket - almost as good) and more than double your signal at your radio. You'll also be able to swap antennas quickly and easily with a large selection to choose from when your needs or desires change (e.g. I swap out a short, minimal gain antenna for in town where garage parking is necessary with a much larger high gain antenna for trips where signals are weaker).

Worried about those tiny screw holes where nobody will see them anywhere causing less damage? Remember this, that magnet will scratch the paint (often rather visibly) due to dirt acting as sand paper and the coax swaying back and forth as you drive will also cause scratches in the paint. The hidden screw holes will be much less visible and probably cause less of a deduction when you sell than those scratches will.

Last edited:

sailor34957

Premium Subscriber
What kind of mount do I need to use my RH77CA with BNC on a magnetic mount. Is a BNC ok on the roof as I worry about moisture etc.

I currently have A NMO mag base for my Laird Phantom. Is there an adapter to attach the BNC to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.