• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Relm KNG system key

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpetraglia

I am trying to make some changes to my code plugs which are set for receive only. Many changes cant be made without a system key. Relm sent me a system key. I cannot get the key to load to my NeoVision 2.4.0 SW. I have tried everything for days and days to load this key. The process is basic and I have followed the procedure I was given. When I select the folder that contains the key and hit OK, the window goes away and nothing changes with the code plug. Anyone out there with some insight on how to get it working? I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks, Chuck

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I have a KNG2-P800 and was given a dummy key 1_1 and i too was never able to figure out how to make changes after a system has been put in and RX only box checked.
I ended up deleteing the system i needed to make the changes to and created a new one and fixed what needed to be fixed.
My guess is once you click RX only it pretty much locks in to RX only.

cpetraglia

I remember you asking me about this, I think. According to my contact at Relm, your assessment is incorrect. I can verify that because I was able to load the key once, never again. I successfully made the change in my M800 but the key never stuck in the software. I now need to change my P800 code plug an am unable to load the key. Also, when I closed an reopened the software, the change I made went away. So now I cannot update the M800 any more without loosing my changes. I cant seem to get any more answers from Relm other than it should work. No instructions. I get the feeling that us 'Receive Only' private owners are on our own. !!

cpetraglia

I have an idea. We can exchange keys and see if there different. I am wondering if they can only be used once. Maybe I can get your key to work to make the one change I need to my portable. If your OK with that, please send it to: (cpetraglia1@verizon.net) and I will send mine back to you. At least if there different we'll each have two of them. My situation is different than yours. Both my radios have been shut down 4 or 5 times by what we think is the local system admin. They are probably signaling any radio with a P25 unit ID of (1) to shut down. I am able to recover them with a two stage code plug upload and they work fine until the next time.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I see what your saying. I looked back at mine and all mine have unit ID of 1 as well because i didnt change it prior to selecting RX only.
In my software i do show my key as registered. It shows System 1 and WACN 1 as having permission. However every system in my radio is RX only and no matter what i do i cant make any changes to unit ID or anything that has been locked down after the RX only option was selected.
Going forward i will make sure to put in a bogus ID to avoid the Unit of 1 just in case what your experiencing happens down here.
The problem i had is a system i monitor is set up with One system ID, with multiple sites and RFSS.
So A city Fire is on Home 1 Site 1, A city Police is on Home 1 Site 2, City B Police and FIre are on Home 1 Site 4 City G police and fire are on Home 2 Site 1..
Under the Neo software i couldnt change the site preferences. With RES that option is there.
It was also recomended to me to enable Force System Reset in the additional options menu.
Basically what this does is each time your unit moves to a new system or in my case a city / department with a different Home / RFSS it forces the radio to rescan and monitor only what i have programmed in for it.
Before my unit was trying to scan stuff that was supposed to be on 2/1 but was on sites 1/1 or 1/3 due to location. Prior to RES i had issues, now its working better for me.

cpetraglia

Here is the problem with assigning a radio ID before checking Receive only. The ID will type in and it looks OK. You cant enter any of the parameters under it without checking Receive only. When you do that, the ID goes back to one, but now you can enter your system info. So, the key is supposed to unlock the SW so anything can be edited anytime. It's kind of a catch 22 deal. The only risk is since its unlocked, be damn sure before you program the radio, it's in receive only or you know what will happen. I think it best if we continue discussing any of this we should stick to private email.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I get the feeling that us 'Receive Only' private owners are on our own. !!

That is exactly correct. Understandably (to me, at least), one off sales of radios to scanner listeners is not a target market for RELM (or any other commercial radio manufacturer). I feel fortunate to be the beneficiary of a feature RELM created for public safety customers ("RX Only"), but cannot expect that my very small (to RELM) order would come with personal technical support for my "non-standard" hobby use of their product.

Dan

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Whoa, wait...don't go away. There are some future KNG2-P800 uses here that may be experiencing or will experience the same issues you guys are dealing with. I for one like the idea of not having to use special workarounds to monitor a system without affiliating. Yes, the Unication G4 and G5 are great for this but have their limitations. If the Relm/BK Radio has an option to do it, BUT you are limited to put in once and that's it, that may not work for people like me. There are several systems I monitor changing over to Phase II so new talkgroups are appearing constantly and I would have to have the ability to make those changes. I spoke with Relm about system key issues because although there are several sites that I monitor now and do not have permission to tx on or even affiliate to for that matter. I use my G5 for those. But there are others that I have letters of authorization. Even with that, they will not generate a system key unless it goes directly to the system admin. So does the "ghost key" you guys are getting from Relm unlock all software options so you can actually affiliate because that may be a big no no for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Forgot one thing...did you guys actually confirm with software like Unitrunker that you are not affiliating even in RX only mode ? I mean, the ID of 1 is a no brainer for system admins to zap. But, I know with systems I have authorization on I still affiliate even on talkgroups that I have in my zone but TG/AG is disabled vs the talkgroups I'm authorized on being unlimited. I'm talking Motorola, but just wanted to make sure RX only on Relm is true RX and NON AFFILIATE, because if not, changing the radio ID will still get you zapped by an alert system admin with basic Genwatch software.

gtaman

Forgot one thing...did you guys actually confirm with software like Unitrunker that you are not affiliating even in RX only mode ? I mean, the ID of 1 is a no brainer for system admins to zap. But, I know with systems I have authorization on I still affiliate even on talkgroups that I have in my zone but TG/AG is disabled vs the talkgroups I'm authorized on being unlimited. I'm talking Motorola, but just wanted to make sure RX only on Relm is true RX and NON AFFILIATE, because if not, changing the radio ID will still get you zapped by an alert system admin with basic Genwatch software.

It is 100 percent no affiliation. Hence why it doesn't require a system key.

PS. If anyone is selling a KNG P800, I have your money ready.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
The issue the OP was having was the RX only was setting the user ID to 1, and the sys admin was randomly zapping ID of 1, even though his radio was not affiliating because his RX only has 1 it was causing him problems.
The issues i was having was updating sites. But Relm recently went from firmware 2.x and software of neovision to firmware 5.x with software RES.
The sites issue was resolved for me with this.
The dummy key they can send you is nothing more then System 1 WACN 1 thats all its good for.
BUT that will allow you to put all the necessary info in that you need then at the last minute enable RX only. In theory. I have not tried that yet. I may end up completely re-doing my radio in the near future. Im learning a lot by just experimenting with the unit and software. I love the RX only feature as i know it makes me feel better carrying a radio. I still keep m audio down and am looking for a good BT earpiece or headset to use with it since the KNG2 has BT with it. :)
I am liking the radio a lot. One small down side is the unit can only monitor 1 system at a time. So no multi system scan like we are used to with Motorola.
But i really like the audio and RX sensitivity of the unit.
Ive had mine a few months and still have a lot to learn and work with on my unit but overall im happy with it.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Has the radio ID of 1 issue been rectified though ? I though he said it defaulted back to one even after changing it once he selected RX only.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I just tested and i was able to put in an ID then select RX only and the ID stayed. So its possible with the new firmware and new software they fixed it so its no longer reverting back to 1.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Ok perfect ! So what's the difference between the KNG2-P800 and the KNG-P800 ?

cpetraglia

I just tested and i was able to put in an ID then select RX only and the ID stayed. So its possible with the new firmware and new software they fixed it so its no longer reverting back to 1.
That is correct. With the new FW/SW the ID sticks. The draw back is to be 100% sure you have all your settings correct before checking the receive only box. Once checked, your never going back. So to a new user that wants multiple systems, enter all systems and necessary settings before hitting that receive only box. And for those wondering, it is true receive only. You can check radio info thru the menu and it will give you the radio ID and say NO AFFILIATE. There is a mild learning curve, but they are excellent radios.

gtaman

That is correct. With the new FW/SW the ID sticks. The draw back is to be 100% sure you have all your settings correct before checking the receive only box. Once checked, your never going back. So to a new user that wants multiple systems, enter all systems and necessary settings before hitting that receive only box. And for those wondering, it is true receive only. You can check radio info thru the menu and it will give you the radio ID and say NO AFFILIATE. There is a mild learning curve, but they are excellent radios.

Can you define "never going back"? do you mean having to delete the system and start all over? or can you not ever program it again. Sorry I'm a little lost. I had a P800 for a minute but I never programmed it. With my P800 coming on Tuesday I want to make sure I am prepared. I'm debating if I am going to stick with neovision or upgrade to res.

SCPD

QRT
And if talkgroups change or some massive change occurs one is stuck where they are at with what they have? No go for persons who just monitor in my opinion. If that's it then your sol when changes occur which they do. As for actual users and such these radios are decent.

If you have completely start over that isn't a big deal just takes time. But to be locked as is and a system changes massively or even dispatch and secondaries change you might as well just kill or stun it if you can't change anything since you won't hear anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.