Relocating to Daphne, Scanner type??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mperniciaro4

Good Evening All,

I will be relocating to Daphne in a few months. I check the systems used by the state, county, a cities. I understand that Daphne and a few other agencies are using non scannable systems. For the agencies using the P25 phase II system, is the pro-106 able to handle the system are do I need to upgrade to a new scanner?

Thank You for your time,

Mark

garys

Premium Subscriber
No, the 106 will not work. Most of the agencies in Baldwin County are using P 25 Phase II on the 700 trunk system. Fairhope is still on an LTR system, but is likely moving to the 700 system at some point.

You will be able to hear the Mobile County EDACS system, at least for now. Mobile PD and FD are mostly on that system, but they are using Pro Voice audio. When the new Harris P25 system is built, everyone will move over to that, but a lot, if not all, of it is supposed to be encrypted.

The Uniden x36HP or the Whistler Phase II scanners will both work on the Baldwin County system as well as the other parts of the state using the 700 Mhz P25.

If I might be so bold, what's prompting you to leave TX for Daphne? You can ignore this or PM me if you don't want it on the forum.

BTW, my son and his family live in Fairhope, so I'm down there often enough to have a reasonably good idea of what the scanner situation is like.

mperniciaro4

re:scanner type

Good Evening Gary,

Thank you for responding to my post. Your advice on the requirements for the Alabama is helpful. I am originally from St.Bernard Parish, LA.. My wife and I relocated to the Dallas area after Hurricane Katrina and the company she worked for at the time has a corporate office in Dallas, so she was able to continue working. Fast forward to 2014, we visited the coast this past august. We explored Daphne and enjoyed the town.I like small to medium towns, so we want to start over, be closer to family. The company my wife works for is in Daphne. I am an EMT, so I am checking the different EMS services in the area to work for. The DFW area is mostly fire-rescue, and I miss working in a 911 system.

Thank You Again,

Mark

garys

Premium Subscriber
MedStar is the 9-1-1 provider for most of the county, at least the southern part. I think they use P-B staffing, but I'm not 100% sure. I think the other outfit is North Baldwin County EMS, but I don't know anything about them.

Depending on how far you want to commute, Escambia County, FL has a third service system, but I don't know much about them either.

It's a beautiful part of the state, but you know that already.

Good Evening Gary,

Thank you for responding to my post. Your advice on the requirements for the Alabama is helpful. I am originally from St.Bernard Parish, LA.. My wife and I relocated to the Dallas area after Hurricane Katrina and the company she worked for at the time has a corporate office in Dallas, so she was able to continue working. Fast forward to 2014, we visited the coast this past august. We explored Daphne and enjoyed the town.I like small to medium towns, so we want to start over, be closer to family. The company my wife works for is in Daphne. I am an EMT, so I am checking the different EMS services in the area to work for. The DFW area is mostly fire-rescue, and I miss working in a 911 system.

Thank You Again,

Mark

dmmbutts

Daphne, Foley, Robertsdale, and Bay Minette are all Nexedge. Baldwin County SO is on the P25 Phase 2 system but encrypted, as is Gulf Shores PD. Most of what I hear on this system from my home in Fairhope is 911, Loxley PD, Summerdale PD, and some traffic from Orange Beach. I have no feel for what my hometown PD will do (encrypt or remain open) when they join the county system soon.

Mobile County and some cities there (other than Mobile itself, of course) are pretty active for now. The sheriff over there stated a while back that the SO would not be totally encrypted when they go digital but that remains to be seen.

Jaxinc

Zombie bump.

Fairhope has both a trunking and analog system going, simultaneously....
Fairhope's Analog is 188.88750 NFM

At the same time they are broadcasting on an LTR system...
Fairhope Trunking System, Fairhope, Alabama - Scanner Frequencies

You miss some things here and there, but if you're only listening to one or the other a lot is left out. I can equally pick up FPD clearer at the shipyards than at my apartment 2 miles from PD...

garys

Premium Subscriber
188.8875?? must (has to be a typo?:)

Must be. Fairhope FD is listed as having 154.44500 179.9 PL, but I have never heard any activity on it. Actually, the FD seems to be fairly inactive. I'm not even sure if they are full time, call, or volunteer.

As of the beginning of this year, FPD was still on the LTR system.

The county fire dispatch is on both the 700 system and VHF. Depending on where I was, one worked better than the other.

MedStar and North Baldwin EMS are both on the 700 system and both are using Phase II. Coverage is pretty good since they are likely to have a unit affiliated with just about any tower in the county at any time.

Since it's not a simulcast system, I heard very little system wide traffic.

In Fairhope, I got the strongest signals on the Spanish Fort and Robertsdale sites.

Apparently all of the NXDN systems are linked, so that there is good coverage. I brought my SDR set up along, but was thwarted in hearing anything by not having a good antenna. I'll correct that next time I'm there.

Airspy+antenna+SDR+DSD+, should give me a good set up for at least hearing some of what goes on.

Oh, I hate that the sheriff office encrypts all of their traffic. Maybe I'll move down there and run for sheriff on a transparency platform. :D

Jaxinc

155.8875, sorry.

Not sure how I did 188.

The FD is on call, normally you only hear them if Baldwin Central comes on the radio calling the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.