Relocating your Hunting Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeddleMan

I have seen for sale in a FL CB shop, a transmitting collar and a DF kit w/ antenna. Price isn't the question, it's the usefulness. I often see the Yagi style beam antennas on the huntin' trucks, yet they are horizontally polarized. Does it matter the polarization of the collar's antenna? What happens if the collar slips from it's original position? Will the hunter ever find his wandering dog? How about the 'coon it's chasin'?
Anyway, I am unsure that these guys are successful in their endeavor in finding the persui-er and it's persui-ee. (Gosh that types horrible!) Would it be necessary to orientate the yagi for vertical instead of horizontal?

K4NNW

The polarisation should, in theory, matter. However, in my experience with such systems, I never did notice much difference. I also never used one of those through-the-roof mounts on my pickup. I either used an omnidirectional on the pickup, or the yagi, held in one hand. The big problems I experienced were that it was hard to tell whether the collar was directly in front of or directly behind the antenna (I blame this on poor antenna pattern design). The other was a receiver overload at close range in thick cover. In the open areas, the hound would be visible before the receiver overloaded.

Cowthief

Hello.

The ones that work the best by far are the active units.
Both units transmit and receive, no yagi, no pointing, just an indicator that points direction.
Range is about a mile for the most bulky hand carried unit out in the open.
Inside a vehicle range may only be a few hundred feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.