Remaining Active Conventional Frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJMoo3652

Hey all, I was scrolling through counties in SE/ Detroit Metro area and have noticed most agencies have gone to the MPSCS however the current database still lists decommissioned frequencies no longer in use (Example Sterling Heights Fire’s analog frequency is still listed but they have since moved to MPSCS). Was wondering, what analog channels do you guys know that are still active around this area? So far i’ve identified Mac Twp. Fire, Bruce Romeo Fire, Southfield PD/FD, W. Bloomfield Fire, Farmington Hills fire, Auburn Hills fire, and Rochester Fire as still working active frequencies

Last edited:

RBMTS

I can't answer your question about the specific departments you ask about. However don't assume that old frequencies are abandoned just because a department or town moved to the state system. Sometimes departments or services keep their old frequencies and radios as a backup in case the state system goes down, or for additional resources in times of emergencies. So if a FCC call sign is still active (or renewed) for a frequency(s), it would be for a reason. You just never know.

NJMoo3652

I can't answer your question about the specific departments you ask about. However don't assume that old frequencies are abandoned just because a department or town moved to the state system. Sometimes departments or services keep their old frequencies and radios as a backup in case the state system goes down, or for additional resources in times of emergencies. So if a FCC call sign is still active (or renewed) for a frequency(s), it would be for a reason. You just never know.
Just to clear any confusion, the departments I listed are the ones I’ve confirmed still work but you do bring up a good point though, they could be fallbacks, but many are not in use as I can pick up the some departments on my Uniden BCD436HP as MPSCS but not my XTS

nvanw27

River Central, TVC
Hey NJMoo! There might be a few fallback frequencies you can monitor, but if you're near another county, you can likely pick up some of their frequencies as well. Some cities also use VHF/UHF frequencies for emergency warning systems, or, if you're really lucky, a police patch.

NJMoo3652

Hey NJMoo! There might be a few fallback frequencies you can monitor, but if you're near another county, you can likely pick up some of their frequencies as well. Some cities also use VHF/UHF frequencies for emergency warning systems, or, if you're really lucky, a police patch.
[/QUOTE

Yup that’s what I’m looking for, I’m in Macomb County, looking to monitor any remaining FD/PD’s that haven’t upgraded to a TRS yet, hard to find out myself since the database is a little outdated

a29zuk

You may already be aware of this:
As late as last year, Auburn Hills FD still used 423.15000. Also, 423.17500 was still being used for DPW.

Jim

NJMoo3652

You may already be aware of this:
As late as last year, Auburn Hills FD still used 423.15000. Also, 423.17500 was still being used for DPW.

Jim

Jim,
Got Auburn FD programmed wasn’t aware of DPW though thank you, surprised PD went to a TRS but not FD?

NJMoo3652

Lapeer County, if you're somewhat close to them, still uses 151.130 for fire and EMS dispatching. You can listen to them on there.
That would work if my XTS wasn’t UHF, thanks though, I’ll keep that in mind!

NJMoo3652

Novi, Walled Lake, Lyon Twp, Commerce Twp, South Lyon, Wixom, Milford.

I hear West Bloomfield Twp on analog, too.
Thanks so much! I know i’ve tried those cities before and couldn’t seem to pick them up, probably too far away but it’s good to know someone else can actually pick them up.

a29zuk

Many FD's will keep their VHF/UHF frequency patches so the volunteer firefighters can monitor them.

I assume this was the case when Oakland County switched over to MA/COM as no scanner can monitor that system. Soon they will be joining the MPSCS but will more than likely be encrypted.

Jim

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Many FD's will keep their VHF/UHF frequency patches so the volunteer firefighters can monitor them.

I assume this was the case when Oakland County switched over to MA/COM as no scanner can monitor that system. Soon they will be joining the MPSCS but will more than likely be encrypted.

Jim
I am hoping that they stay with their current alerting, too. MPSCS for alerting has been problematic.

KB8QDM

Premium Subscriber
Any of those fire departments in Oakland County are still broadcasting through patches between the OAKWIN (OpenSky) system and their legacy VHF/UHF systems for one primary reason: there is no way to use two-tone paging through OpenSky. Most of those departments still use paid on call or volunteer firefighters, and they have to have some way to alert them, and be able to monitor traffic while enroute.

Most career departments do the same thing. They'll have a low power vhf frequency for station alerting only, but everything else is on OpenSky. Waterford Regional Fire still uses their old VHF frequency to transmit the alert tones, but all voice traffic is on OS.

Southfield Police and Fire are the only exception to this, they are the only city in the county that did not go to the OpenSky system. Primarily because the city has their own radio shop, which maintains their own systems and equipment, and does upfitting.

Unless your scanner with decode DMR, programming 423.175 for Auburn Hills DPW won't work as that's what they're using now.

And yes, a P25 system is in the works for Oakland County. But, rumor is that it will be compatible with-but not part of-the MPSCS. The other rumor is that it'll be P25 type two trunking with 100% encryption.

a29zuk

Any of those fire departments in Oakland County are still broadcasting through patches between the OAKWIN (OpenSky) system and their legacy VHF/UHF systems for one primary reason: there is no way to use two-tone paging through OpenSky. Most of those departments still use paid on call or volunteer firefighters, and they have to have some way to alert them, and be able to monitor traffic while enroute.

Most career departments do the same thing. They'll have a low power vhf frequency for station alerting only, but everything else is on OpenSky. Waterford Regional Fire still uses their old VHF frequency to transmit the alert tones, but all voice traffic is on OS.

Southfield Police and Fire are the only exception to this, they are the only city in the county that did not go to the OpenSky system. Primarily because the city has their own radio shop, which maintains their own systems and equipment, and does upfitting.

Unless your scanner with decode DMR, programming 423.175 for Auburn Hills DPW won't work as that's what they're using now.

And yes, a P25 system is in the works for Oakland County. But, rumor is that it will be compatible with-but not part of-the MPSCS. The other rumor is that it'll be P25 type two trunking with 100% encryption.

Lots of good info. Thanks for the update and I forgot to mention AH DPW was DMR.

Jim

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
Most of the FD's north of M-59 and others are still patching to their old frequencies with the exception of Waterford (includes Pontiac) . I still hear Independance, Springfield, Holly, N Oakland, Groveland, White Lake, Orion, Rochester Hills, Highland, Milford, Commerce, Brandon, West Bloomfield, Farmington Hills, & Auburn Hills. All of this w/o an external antenna on my 396XT in Davisburg.

You loose contact if there is a mutual aid situation as they generally don't patch that mutual aid Open Sky channel.

Thatsclear

Premium Subscriber
My local agency; after they went to the digital P25 system, took their existing VHF frequencies and made them DMR car to car simplex. I guess this is possible too.

freqs

Macomb co 154.1300 have heard tests for Centerline Fire its still a page for Utica fire .
423.550 Washington TWP FD with patch to MPSCS
423.200 Bruce TWP FD Patch with MPSCS.
Most listed in Macomb co still active or patched to MPSCS '
Some that need to be confirmed is Utica DPW 45.4000 have not heard in some time
46.5400 46.5800 Fraser DPW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.