Remote access to Iphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacenerd

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to set up my Uniden BCD536HP to monitor transmission on my Iphone. I have the Siren app and it is working fine set up in infrastructure mode in my house. . When I use Access Pointe Mode I have no connection.
Can someone explain what I am doing wrong. I work for a local newspaper and was hoping I could access my scanner via my Iphone when I am on the road.
spacenerd

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You have to set up a VPN to access the 536 outside your local network, and Apple has disabled that functionality.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
In addition to what jon said above, Access Point Mode is intended to be used as a remote head for the scanner. For example, the scanner is mounted in a vehicle and the smart phone is used as the remote head controlling some of the scanner's function.

We're still waiting for a few more features to come to pass with the Siren App. That "distant connectivity" is a big one.

I think someone pretty good with writing iPhone applications ought to reach out to Upman and see if a barter of equipment for services can happen.

Steve2003

Apple certainly did not disable VPN functionality. Running iOS 10.3.3 on my iPhone and connecting to a VPN connection I have setup on my Ubiquiti EdgeMax router at home without any issue whatsoever. (I'll also add that I connect natively in iOS without any third-party apps).

You have to set up a VPN to access the 536 outside your local network, and Apple has disabled that functionality.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber

I think you are referring to Apple removing support for PPTP VPN with iOS 10 as PPTP is deprecated and not secure.

There is VPN support natively and with 3rd party apps with more secure protocols.

woodpecker

I use OpenVPN and a router running OpenWRT. With an OpenVPN server on the internet, client on the iphone and router it can tunnel through pretty much anything.

I run it on port 443 so it looks like https traffic, it will reverse tunnel out through just about anything, recently left it running in a hotel room via the hotel wifi and could access Siren via 3G/4G just fine whilst out and about.

NYRHKY94

Spacenerd:

You can indeed accomplish exactly what you are looking for. I'm currently running a Wifi stream from my BCD536HP at home and can listen to it on my Iphone and/or any remote PC. I'm using IceCast as the feed server and Bob Aune's RadioFeed to stream the audio & alpha tags. On my iPhone I use one of the many available apps to listen to the stream. Works great and as Bob has attested to elsewhere on this site, the feed audio from the BCD536HP using Wifi is excellent (no audio cables involved). A lot of configuration involved with this set-up but it works great. Here's a screen shot of the iPhone app I use to listen to my 536 stream:

Attachments

• IMG_8120.jpg
    IMG_8120.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 722
Last edited:

NYRHKY94

As an alternative to the above method, you can also use the Web Server feature in Proscan (significantly less configuration and only 1 piece of software) to access & listen to your BCD536HP on your iPhone and/or any PC using just a browser. You can even control the scanner with this method. Alternatively, you can also put the Web Server URL into one of the radio apps for the iPhone and listen to it that way (non browser). The Instructions for that feature are in the Proscan User Manual (in the software). Wanted to share this method as well as it's much easier to get up & running....

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Are there any "How To" videos on YouTube, particularly for those who are very new to doing this?

If not, is there someone who could take a shot at doing this?

I'd kinda like to do something like this, but I admit I'm the proverbial dummy at doing so.

spacenerd

Premium Subscriber
As an alternative to the above method, you can also use the Web Server feature in Proscan (significantly less configuration and only 1 piece of software) to access & listen to your BCD536HP on your iPhone and/or any PC using just a browser. You can even control the scanner with this method. Alternatively, you can also put the Web Server URL into one of the radio apps for the iPhone and listen to it that way (non browser). The Instructions for that feature are in the Proscan User Manual (in the software). Wanted to share this method as well as it's much easier to get up & running....

Thanks for the info. I have tried to download the Proscan User Manual with no success. Is there any way you could share the instructions?
Thanks,
spacenerd

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I have tried to download the Proscan User Manual with no success. Is there any way you could share the instructions?
Thanks,
spacenerd

Here is a direct link to the manual http://www.proscan.org/ProScan_Manual.pdf
The manual is also accessible by clicking the ProScan menu Support -> Manual

Basically to set up ProScan to serve the virtual scanner on a web page, do the following.

Setup the RS-232 communication from ProScan to the scanner
Setup the audio from scanner to ProScan
Setup the ProScan Web Server. Router Port Forwarding needs setup to access the server from outside of your network.

I have a Web Server setup. Link is in my signature tag. Only I have the password for remote control.

{edit} One thing to be aware of is the audio will be delayed 20 or 30 seconds due to the latency/network buffer built in the Media Player on the client side. Another feature of ProScan is Remote Scanner Over IP that does not have the audio delay problem but requires ProScan installed on the client side.

Last edited:

K4EET

Chaplain
Here is a direct link to the manual http://www.proscan.org/ProScan_Manual.pdf
The manual is also accessible by clicking the ProScan menu Support -> Manual

Basically to set up ProScan to serve the virtual scanner on a web page, do the following.

Setup the RS-232 communication from ProScan to the scanner
Setup the audio from scanner to ProScan
Setup the ProScan Web Server. Router Port Forwarding needs setup to access the server from outside of your network.

I have a Web Server setup. Link is in my signature tag. Only I have the password for remote control.

{edit} One thing to be aware of is the audio will be delayed 20 or 30 seconds due to the latency/network buffer built in the Media Player on the client side. Another feature of ProScan is Remote Scanner Over IP that does not have the audio delay problem but requires ProScan installed on the client side.

Bob,

I am trying to get this to work remotely over the Internet via my iPhone 7 running iOS 10.3.3. Is there something in particular that needs to be set up in the router itself to make this work? I am not an expert at router functionality.

Thanks for your time and assistance!

Dave K4EET

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob,

I am trying to get this to work remotely over the Internet via my iPhone 7 running iOS 10.3.3. Is there something in particular that needs to be set up in the router itself to make this work? I am not an expert at router functionality.

Thanks for your time and assistance!

Dave K4EET

Yes, you do need to setup the Router Port Forwarding for access outside your network. Use TCP and the same port number of the server.

K4EET

Chaplain
Yes, you do need to setup the Router Port Forwarding for access outside your network. Use TCP and the same port number of the server.

Could somebody reading this help me on how to do what Bob answered with on a Verizon Actiontec MI424WR Router? I have tried but the router does not like what I am doing since I don't know what I'm doing to begin with. :roll: LOL! TIA! Dave

NYRHKY94

Hi Dave:

There are several videos that will walk your through how to set up port forwarding for your specific router. The one below is from Actiontec support and may help get you started. A google search will also give you several more examples to view and/or read. A couple things to keep in mind when you are in the port forwarding screen in your router:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A_nGol73Dw

1. In the local host box, you will be putting the IP address for the computer that Proscan is installed on
2. In the protocol box, you will choose TCP as Bob recommended
3. In the port forwarding box, you will put the port number in Proscan (Web Server)

Once that is all done and you saved the new port forwarding rule in your router, you can follow the instructions in Bob's Proscan user guide for starting & using his Web Server. Hope this helps get you started.

Bob: If you see this post, feel free to correct the above if I am off-base ;-)

Mike

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hi Dave:

There are several videos that will walk your through how to set up port forwarding for your specific router. The one below is from Actiontec support and may help get you started. A google search will also give you several more examples to view and/or read. A couple things to keep in mind when you are in the port forwarding screen in your router:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A_nGol73Dw

1. In the local host box, you will be putting the IP address for the computer that Proscan is installed on
2. In the protocol box, you will choose TCP as Bob recommended
3. In the port forwarding box, you will put the port number in Proscan (Web Server)

Once that is all done and you saved the new port forwarding rule in your router, you can follow the instructions in Bob's Proscan user guide for starting & using his Web Server. Hope this helps get you started. Don't click the "Start Download" button, just enter the port number of the Web Server.

Bob: If you see this post, feel free to correct the above if I am off-base ;-)

Mike

Good info. Thanks Mike.

I shall add that after everything is setup and the browser is unable to connect to the Web Server. This troubleshooting tool Open Port Check Tool may help to determine if the server can be seen from the outside of the local network.

Ubbe

Bob is probably refering to ProScan that does not have an iphone client, only windows.

Your router probably have a DMZ option. Set that DMZ configuration to your BCD536 ip number and
set Siren to your networks systems outside ip number. You can use this webpage to check your ip:
What Is My IP Address? IP Address Tools and More

I get the display to work but no audio due to RTSP error 400.

/Ubbe

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob is probably refering to ProScan that does not have an iphone client, only windows.

Your router probably have a DMZ option. Set that DMZ configuration to your BCD536 ip number and
set Siren to your networks systems outside ip number. You can use this webpage to check your ip:
What Is My IP Address? IP Address Tools and More

I get the display to work but no audio due to RTSP error 400.

/Ubbe

K4EET was asking about the Web Server feature in ProScan so Win, IOS, Android, etc... will work using a Web Browser. DMZ config. not needed.

K4EET

Chaplain
There was a day when I could easily figure this stuff out. But as my mind is further damaged by my terminal illness called MELAS, I can no longer logically trace through the steps. My cognitive abilities are shot.

I appreciate the comments but as hard as I try, things just are not gelling together. Either this is more complicated than it sounds or I need somebody to walk me through the process step by step. Even the YouTube videos make it sound simple but I am still getting error messages.

No wonder there are so many videos and posts on this subject area... Dave K4EET

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
There was a day when I could easily figure this stuff out. But as my mind is further damaged by my terminal illness called MELAS, I can no longer logically trace through the steps. My cognitive abilities are shot.

I appreciate the comments but as hard as I try, things just are not gelling together. Either this is more complicated than it sounds or I need somebody to walk me through the process step by step. Even the YouTube videos make it sound simple but I am still getting error messages.

No wonder there are so many videos and posts on this subject area... Dave K4EET

At what point do you get the errors? Clicking Apply button?
What does the Error message say?
Are you on the Port Forwarding screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.